cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim not detected by the ph

ninoron
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

'm sorry to say but the number is still not working on my phone. It works fine on another device.

Just a recap.

I was with FIDO, as well as I have a SIM card back from India. I ported my number and thereafter on inserting the Public mobile sim none of the networks are getting detected on my pphone.

However when I remove the public mobile sim, the sim back from India starts working. The Public mobile sim is working fine on my spouse phone.

After receiving your message I restarted my phone with Public mobile sim but the issue is still the same but the other sim is working.

I was told Fido may have locked my phone and I did contact them this morning and they assured me that the phone is not locked from their end.

It's a bit frustrating to keep swapping the sim card from one phone to the other just to avoid any missed calls.

My phone is a Nokia 3 and i did check its compatibility and the website sayd that it is compatible.

27 REPLIES 27

@ninoron  was reading a bit on Nokia 3 phones from India. Seems like they either come single or dual sim. 

Is yours dual sim by chance? If so, do you keep your India sim card in one of the slots? I've read that in July there were over 300 million people in India on 2g network. If your phone is a dual sim and you have the India sim card in one slot it's likely for a 2g network and maybe that is what is causing your phone to have greyed out preferred network options?

If yours is dual sim. Can you turn your phone off, take the India sim out completely and put the PM sim in slot 1? Turn phone on and see what happens. 

I've also read on one forum sometimes resetting the network settings the greyed out setting will go away for preferred network and it will let you pick a new Network then once that selection is made they go back to greyed out. Worth trying?

Also is your Nokia fully up to date?

Below I believe this is what is in @darlicious  link. 

Open the dialpad.

Type in *#*#4636#*#*

It should open a testing page (hopefully)

Select phone information then see if you can change the network from there.

And well if worse comes to worse maybe consider backing up, saving your stuff and doing a factory reset WITH PM sim card in. A factory reset will wipe everything from the phone and reinstall everything so ensure you save everything first.

Reading all this thread again and seeing you mention the phone is originally from India. Then it was likely unlocked in India. Once unlocked a provider cannot re-lock it. So Fido wouldn't be able to help if the phone is originally from India but since it's working in Canada on Fido /Chatr then it likely means the India phone is unlocked.

Keep us posted.

@ninoron 

Rogers is the only remaining mobile provider in Canada still running and maintaining a 2G network.

@ninoron wrote:

https://www.technipages.com/how-to-know-if-your-phone-is-unlocked

After scanning for network manually, the only network that comes up is Rogers.

I'm sure Fido has locked my phone.

But the problem is Fido aren't accepting the phone is locked by them

Only one network showing up in a manual network scan isn't a matter of a phone being locked to a carrier. The phone only reports what networks are there in a manual network scan. Since your phone is only showing Rogers, this is because of the previosuly determined matter of your phone being set to only connect to 2g networks. That isn't what carrier locking is.

@ninoron 

go to this website and unlock your phone

https://www.imei.info/unlock/

you'll have to pay $15-20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ninoron wrote:

Did you ever get a chance to download and install the Radio Switcher app from the Play Store? It will give you a drop down list of possible network types to connect to. It's odd that that option is not available in the networks area that you did scan manually.

@ninoron  if inserting the PM sim and the phone says emergency calls only. There are two reasons for this. Either the phone is blacklisted or phone is locked. 

Who did you originally get the phone from? Fido? .  Whoever you originally got the phone from is the one that will give you the unlock code.

As for the unlock code. It's not something they do to unlock the phone like an Apple product. They have to give you like an 8 or 10 digit number. Then when you put a sim card in from another network and turn the phone on. A message would display like. " Enter network unlock pin"...you type the code they gave you and hit enter then the phone is unlocked.

Does a message like this (or other wording message besides emergency calls only) appear on your phone?

Do you ever recall getting an unlock code (like 8 or 10 digits) from the provider you originally got the phone from and typing the code into your phone? 

ninoron

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@ninoron wrote:

Hi.

That's helpful.

The phone is from India and yes the india sim is on Rogers network.

I contacted nokia support and they said the phone is unlocked.

On inserting the sim it says emergency calls

Try some of these options:

https://www.technipages.com/why-does-my-phone-say-emergency-calls-only

ninoron

Hi.

That's helpful.

The phone is from India and yes the india sim is on Rogers network.

I contacted nokia support and they said the phone is unlocked.

On inserting the sim it says emergency calls

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ninoron wrote:

I was with Fido and chatr prior to this buthad no issue.

Yes. And the Rogers network still uses 2G. Fido and Chatr belong to Rogers.

I changed my network to GSM only and it connected fine to Rogers. Of course it didn't work because I'm not paying for service there.

@ninoron  are you certain the phone is unlocked? Can you call back Fido and ask for the unlock code again?

The reason I am asking. Is both Chatr & Fido are owned by Rogers. So a Chatr, Fido or Rogers sim would work without having the device unlocked.

Now I'm not certain how the India sims are however but for example. Some phones in USA that are locked to a USA Network will work in other countries without having the phone unlocked. Even back in the older days when a phone would be blacklisted so it would not work all in USA the phone would still work no problems in other countries. 

When you put your Public Mobile sim card in the phone what exactly happens? Does any message display in the phone like "enter network pin"?...or does any bars display showing there is signal or is it just an X or emergency calls only?

Let us know!

ninoron

I was with Fido and chatr prior to this buthad no issue.

@computergeek541 

Just so i understand a freedom sim card can help a user change or enter APN settings in phones that have these settings greyed out because the sim card is configurable? Where as most providers do not offer configurable sim cards? Or is there another term for that type of sim card?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ninoron wrote:

The. Network is selected as2g and it's greyed out. In unable to change the preferred network.

Any way ican change that?

Download an app called Radio Switcher. In there, you can change the network. Hopefully not greyed out as well 🙂

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

So the theory doesnt carry thru that the freedom sim would allow changes to "greyed" out settings?

I haven't read about a Freedom SIM card allowing anything but the changing/adding of APN settings. Network type selection isn't an APN.

@computergeek541 

So the theory doesnt carry thru that the freedom sim would allow changes to "greyed" out settings?

@darlicious wrote:

@ninoron 

Do you know anyone with a freedom sim card? You should be able to insert it and make the changes then put in the pm sim card and reboot. If i remembered the sequence correctly.

The idea of a Freedom SIM card has to do with changing APN settings. APN settings aren't related to the actual connection to the cellular network. 

@ninoron wrote:

The. Network is selected as2g and it's greyed out. In unable to change the preferred network.

Are there other options that are greyed out? That says to me that possibly 2g is all that is available with your current device set up. Either way, this setting is why your phone isn't working at Public Mobile. There is no 2g network here.

@ninoron 

Do you know anyone with a freedom sim card? You should be able to insert it and make the changes then put in the pm sim card and reboot. If i remembered the sequence correctly.

ninoron

Thanks.

ninoron

@ninoron wrote:

'm sorry to say but the number is still not working on my phone. It works fine on another device.

Just a recap.

I was with FIDO, as well as I have a SIM card back from India. I ported my number and thereafter on inserting the Public mobile sim none of the networks are getting detected on my pphone.

Ensure that the device isn't set to only connect to 2g GSM networks. If it's set that way, you won't be able to use the phone at Public Mobile, nor will the Public/Telus or Bell networks be detected in a manual network scan.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ninoron  If the PM sim card works in your wife's phone that suggests that the issue is with your device. 

Remove the Indian sim and try the PM sim in that slot.

@ninoron 

If your sim card from india works in your phone then your phone should be unlocked. Your pm sim is working in another phone. So the sim card is working. Is the message on your phone when you insert the pm sim card "sim not detected"?

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@ninoron if it's a dual sim phone try using the other sim slot

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@ninoron 

If your phone is unlocked try the following. You might want to check again with Fido just to confirm.

- Reset network settings 

- Reboot phone

- Remove sim for a few minutes and put back in and reboot

- Go into airplane mode for a few minutes and then take off and reboot

Need Help? Let's chat.