Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim doesn't work

genald
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

My sim card just stopped working.

I went to buy a new one. We tried a chatr sim and it worked.

But the new public mobile didn't work. It didn't work either.

When i went online to change sim, first the number didn't match.

Second, when i try to put a new one. It says that there is an error or the sim card is already used.  Is there someone who can help ?

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6

genald

A million thank you to every one.

I did all the steps.

Now i will change all my other passwords.

Génald

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@genald wrote:

Hello,

Second, when i try to put a new one. It says that there is an error or the sim card is already used.  Is there someone who can help ?

Thanks in advance

Hello @genald , so sorry to hear this! It does sound like a SIM Fraud issue.

1. Let the moderators know about this as well, submit a ticket here – to be connected to the Fraud Management Moderator team who will be able to restore your original SIM card. 

1. Also recommended to contact your financial institutions to ensure your banking and credit card accounts have not been accessed and checking your social media accounts for any suspicious activity. Make sure you change your passwords to these accounts immediately. 

1. You may also want to report the fraud to your local police and the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501, as well as contact the two national credit bureaus to request a copy of your credit reports and place a fraud warning on your file (Equifax Canada Toll free:1-800-465-7166 and TransUnion Canada Toll free: 1-877-525-3823).

SIM swapping is a type of fraud targeting your personal information so that criminals can impersonate you and access your bank accounts. Most victims won’t know they’ve been compromised until they try to place a call or send a text message which doesn’t go through.

How the SIM swapping scam works

1. Many SIM swap scams start with a phishing email to try and trick you into revealing personal information the criminal can then use to impersonate you.
  2. Once they have enough personal information, the criminal will call your mobile provider or use the online chat option pretending to be you. They'll request a new SIM card in your name.
  3. Once they’ve gained the new SIM card connected to your phone number, they’ll have access to all services you’ve linked to your phone: bank accounts, emails, pictures, phone calls, text messages, etc.

How to protect yourself

• Set up a passcode/PIN with your service provider to access your phone for any online or phone interactions. Do not use the same PIN as you use for other accounts, like your bank account.
  • Don’t publish your phone number on any of your social media profiles and limit the amount of personal information you post online like your birthday, elementary school names, or your pet’s name. Fraudsters can use these clues to answer common identification questions and impersonate you.
  • Don’t use the same passwords or usernames across multiple accounts. Always create a strong, unique password for your sensitive accounts. Click here to learn more about how to create a strong password.

Don’t click on links or attachments in suspicious emails or text messages. Remember that your bank will never send you an email, or call you on the phone, asking you to disclose personal information such as your password, credit or debit card number, or your mother’s maiden name.

genald

Thank you for your rapid answer.

I will try to do all theses steps

thank you

@genald wrote:

This means that someone likely has access to your account and took over your phone number. You'll need to go back into your Public Mobile account and immediately change the password and security question. Also report your phone as lost stolen so that the other person cannot continue using your phone number.  

You'll also want to check any account at other companies or your bank that are linked to your phone number.  If the person knows your logins and password for those, the person who took over you number can use your phone number to receive authentication requests to get into those accounts.

Contact the moderators at Public Mobile to have the service restored to the correct SIM card. A ticket can be opened by going to:  Chatbot (tiia.ai)

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@genald , your account has been SIM jacked.  This explains why the SIM card number in the account did not match the one in your phone.  I am not sure how to explain why you could not change the SIM card.  For now, the most important thing is to secure your self serve account and any other account you have that may be affected by the SIM jacking.  Please initiate a support ticket by clicking on the chat symbol on the lower right corner of the webpage.  The moderator team will assist with restoring the service.  Here is a recent announcement on how to deal with SIM jacking.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/SIM-Swap-Fraud/m-p/650969

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@genald 

In your self service account, choose Change Sim Card

If the last 4 digits on the self-serve SIM number didn't match your Public Mobile SIM card, you have been sim jacked. 

If they do not match, while still on the self-serve account, put your phone in lost/stolen mode and change the password. Then check and secure all your financials.

From, there, contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system - faster response time. Click on the bubble in the lower right corner and request moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket.
  2. Send a private message to the moderator through the following link  here
Need Help? Let's chat.