cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim card

katherinwindmil
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi i tried to switch over my sim card to a new phone and it said that the iphone needs to be unlocked by my carrier. what do i need to do?

5 REPLIES 5

BarryS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@katherinwindmil Actually, if your friend tells you which provider they originally purchased the phone through, you can call ( Rogers, bell, Telus, etc.) and they all seem to have an “unlock service”....some automated, some through live chat.  All that you need to provide is the IMEI number. If the phone is in good standing (not reported stolen), they will provide you with an unlock code. Easy. 

Friend should call previous cell provider and request a free unlock code. Good luck.

katherinwindmil
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No, its a friends old phone so would she have to call her carrier to unlock it ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@katherinwindmil wrote:

Hi i tried to switch over my sim card to a new phone and it said that the iphone needs to be unlocked by my carrier. what do i need to do?

Are you saying that the phone itself is new or just new to you? It would be curious if it was locked when new.

Otherwise as above.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@katherinwindmil

You will need to call your previous carrier to get the unlock code.  It should be a free service these days for Canadian carriers.  

Need Help? Let's chat.