cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim card randomly stops working

roselee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've had this PM card for 2 years and in the last couple of months, it just randomly stops working ("no sim card") and I have to manually remove and re-insert it, sometimes a couple of times a day and it's getting really annoying. I've cleaned the card and the insert port, and it keeps happening.

Is this a sign I need a new card? thanks for your help!

13 REPLIES 13

cynicustracks
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I actually had this issue as well, often times when I travelled I would switch out my SIM card and then switch it back to PM but my phone would have trouble recognizing it. My solution is to take out the SIM, wipe down everything you can - for example, the SIM tray, the SIM itself, blow into the empty SIM cartridge on your phone. Sometimes it just involves a bit of tweaking of the SIM on the SIM holder/reader itself. I never found it to be my phone being the issue because it seems to me that this only happens to the PM SIM card.

Hopefully this helps! 

@roselee wrote:

Thanks to all for the replies - unfortunately I don't have a spare phone right now to test the old sim card, but for less than $5 to try out 2 new ones, it's the most inexpensive method to see what the problem is.

SIM cards are really robust.  I would suggest the problem is with the phone unless the SIM card suffered mechanical damage.  If you don't have a spare phone, find a friend or family that might be able to assist.  

roselee

Thanks to all for the replies - unfortunately I don't have a spare phone right now to test the old sim card, but for less than $5 to try out 2 new ones, it's the most inexpensive method to see what the problem is.

@roselee 

I highly suggest you test your old sim in different phone. If it's the phone new sim won't help

You should also clean the contacts with alcohol.

If you already ordered the card, it's great idea to have a spare one, I always have one at home and one in my backpack, you never know if you gonna run into somebody looking to move to better provider in a middle of nice Publicmobile promotion:)

gjong26
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Ya try another cell phone and see if it acts up the same.  Then you know for sure its the SIM card but you have to eliminate the phone being the issue.  If its the phone great time for an upgrade.  Lots of great phones out there.  If its the card swap them out and go to your account to change the details over with your number.  

Cheers hope it all gets sorted out.

@roselee wrote:

I'm doing that right now - thanks! 🙂

Trying a new SIM card might solve your issues, but might not.  Hopefully, it will help.  Sim card rarely go bad, but it does sometimes happen.  

To rule out a phone issue, as stated above, either try your SIM card in another phone.  Or try a different working SIM card in your phone.  

Mattredwingsfan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Good luck!

roselee

I'm doing that right now - thanks! 🙂

@roselee 

You will have to first figure out if it's sim or the phone.

Test it for couple of days in a different phone, swap phones with a family member or a friend. If it's the phone, your friend will have the same issue, if it's the sim you will have the same issue on their phone.

They have sims on sale https://canadiancellsupplies.com/products/public-sim-card?variant=31239577829465 

Mattredwingsfan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@roselee 
Canadian Cell Supplies has had their Public Mobile SIM card at $2.99  (limit 2 per week), along with free shipping, they also have a promo code "PUBLIC30%OFF" at check out, our PM SIM cards work out to $2.10 + tax. Save yourself some money and give it a shot

roselee

Thanks for the suggestion - yes I have rebooted the phone a few weeks ago and it keeps happening. Looks like i need a new sim.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@roselee 

If possible, try that SIM card in another phone to see whether you get the same issue.  If you get the same issue, likely an issue with SIM card.  You can order another one online and switch in your self service account.  It is on sale for $5 online presently on this website.  

It might also be a phone issue.  Might want to try to reboot phone.  Network reset.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you have another phone then try swapping the sim.  If it doesn't work then you probably will need a new sim.

Need Help? Let's chat.