cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roaming problems

clawd999
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I live on the Canada USA border on a river between us in ontario, regularly it switches to roaming and doesnt switch back  ,how do i fix this problem . Ive tried taking sim card out while phone is on and then tried with phone off. I have a  plus one 5t phone . Wish i could contact public mobile and have them know my situation , like i did with tellus and they corrected this , so now what ?

9 REPLIES 9

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker wrote:

You know, I could have sworn there was a general setting for no roaming.

Looks like I meant to suggest select Public Mobile directly.

Oops!

...aaaaand that's exactly the steps I listed for @clawd999 in my reply.  I even referred to my own OP5T in the process to make sure I got all the steps right.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

You know, I could have sworn there was a general setting for no roaming.

Looks like I meant to suggest select Public Mobile directly.

Oops!

@mimmo wrote:

@stonechuckerI thought disabling roaming only affected data.  I was unaware of a  feature to disable "voice" roaming.  

Short of manually selecting a network type, there is no option to completely disable roaming on the phone end.  The only roaming setting I've ever seen in a phone relates only to data usage.  I'm sure stonechucker was simply refering to the network selection settings.

mimmo

@stonechuckerI thought disabling roaming only affected data.  I was unaware of a  feature to disable "voice" roaming.  

Is there a reason to have roaming enabled all the time?  As Public Monile uses the largest shared network in Canada (Telus and Bell), why not simply turn off roaming, and turn it on when you want to go to the US?

There are as far as I know, to roam in Canada on the Public Mobile SIM.

Frosty2506
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Okay, gotcha.

@Frosty2506 wrote:

I've had this problem with multiple different providers and phones and I live nowhere near a border. It may just be a problem with your phone determining which tower to recieve a signal from but so long as you are actually in Canada I wouldn't worry about any roaming charges. 

In this particular case, the issue isn't really about roaming charges.  If the phone connects to the US roaming partner, the Canadian usage is disabled.  Unless the account has a US add-on, there will be no service. 

Frosty2506
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've had this problem with multiple different providers and phones and I live nowhere near a border. It may just be a problem with your phone determining which tower to recieve a signal from but so long as you are actually in Canada I wouldn't worry about any roaming charges. 

srlawren

@clawd999 here's what I'd suggest.  Go into settings, SIM & network, SIM 1 (or SIM 2, wherever your PM SIM is), and tap on Network operators.  Switch off the "Choose automatically", and wait a couple of mins while it searches.  When it comes back, select Public Mobile.  This will prevent you from roaming onto the US networks entirely.  Just remember that if you do travel south and want to roam, to set this back to Choose automatically.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.