cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recently changed a phone and drains data quickly

hj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I used iphone and galaxy in the past, and recently changed to umidigi f1. My habits on using data never changed between the phones and never had an issue with data shortage. I just recieved a text that my data usage had reached 95% and I still have over 1 month until next cycle starts.

Is the phone defective?

9 REPLIES 9

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ed404 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@Ed404 many phones have this built into the operating system, if you go into settings, apps, and tap on an individual app you can often control if and when it can use mobile data.  Out of curiosity, what app(s) were you thinking of here?

I recently downloaded NetGuard (free) because Reddit recommended it and I wasn't terribly fond of LG's data management. It's similar to the built-in one, however it tells you whether Google Play Services needs data for an app to work such as Skype, Instagram, etc. There's also a paid version which includes more features for advanced users.

@Ed404 good to know, thanks!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren wrote:

@Ed404 many phones have this built into the operating system, if you go into settings, apps, and tap on an individual app you can often control if and when it can use mobile data.  Out of curiosity, what app(s) were you thinking of here?

I recently downloaded NetGuard (free) because Reddit recommended it and I wasn't terribly fond of LG's data management. It's similar to the built-in one, however it tells you whether Google Play Services needs data for an app to work such as Skype, Instagram, etc. There's also a paid version which includes more features for advanced users.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hj wrote:

One of app used over 5gb in a month. But I always use the app. Didn't know the app uses that much though... I guess have to turn my data off as you advised. Thanks!

@hj what's the app, out of curiosity?  Most apps have settings that let you control this a bit better.  For example, you could set them to only download updated data (or media for offline content) when you're on a Wi-Fi network, for example.  Some let you turn off auto-play of vidoes when on mobile, or other various ways to reduce your mobile data consumption.  If you can let us know the app, we can try to suggest ways to cull back its usage.

@Ed404 wrote:

Hey,

I'd recommend installing an app to limit specific app data usage. Also check data under settings and see how you hit 95% usage.

Good luck

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hey,

I'd recommend installing an app to limit specific app data usage. Also check data under settings and see how you hit 95% usage.

Good luck

Geejustin66

Most phones have data saver options or another one I use is turn off background data so if your not using the app it cant use your data running I'm back ground. 

hj

One of app used over 5gb in a month. But I always use the app. Didn't know the app uses that much though... I guess have to turn my data off as you advised. Thanks!

hj

During the initial setup I connected to wifi. And app installing was pended when I was went outside for work. Is this still be the case? 

Check which programs are eating up your data. Click settings - data and scroll down. This may give you an indication of where your data is leaking. 

If it's an app your not using, try to uninstall it or disable it.

Another option is to toggle your data as you need it. I do that on my 1gb plan and with 7 days left in my cycle, I have used about 400 mb.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@hj wrote:

Hi,

I used iphone and galaxy in the past, and recently changed to umidigi f1. My habits on using data never changed between the phones and never had an issue with data shortage. I just recieved a text that my data usage had reached 95% and I still have over 1 month until next cycle starts.

Is the phone defective?

New phones have lots to install and update when you start using them. App installation of sotware updates can use quite a bit.

Need Help? Let's chat.