cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plan to change a phone

eunchaeyu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I'm planning to change my phone to a new one.

Just wondering If I could use the SIM card and a phone plan or should get a new one. 

Thanks. 

Eunchae

19 REPLIES 19

iPhone 6S replacement battery (along with needed tools, guide, video, etc) would cost about $30 and roughly an half hour of your time.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+6s+Battery+Replacement/56607

you can also use software (like iCopyTrans, etc) to get detailed battery specs and stats unavailable in iOS or iTunes - including the all-important "total number of charges/discharge cycles" counter. Expect frustratingly low battery life (and constant "80% low-power mode" off external power/charge) when this number reaches around 400. Ignore Apple's promises about "2 year battery life", it's an approdimate expectation based on "average daily" charge/discharge usage.

Major iOS updates are known to wreck battery life on older iOS devices. But you aren't always given a choice to avoid/rollback these updates.

New batteries tend to actually be better than factory original batteries. Because of incremental improvements in battery engineering, roughly 10% more energy density (capacity) at same cost each year. So if your device is 2 years old a new battery for it might be 120% the capacity of the original battery.

@eunchaeyu yep, you will be good with SE2. Enjoy and share your experience with it!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@eunchaeyu wrote:

Hi,

I'm planning to change my phone to a new one.

Just wondering If I could use the SIM card and a phone plan or should get a new one. 

Thanks. 

Eunchae

@eunchaeyu Yes you can, just insert you current sim in the new phone. You can even adjust the size if you have to.

tp.png

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mpcdesign Yeah it dosent cost that much to do it yourself even to hire someone but its not worth it because its a 5 year old phone. Even though the SE2 is more expensive it might be worth the upgrade.

@eunchaeyu, try replacing the battery of the 6S. The battery probably cost reasonably less than an iPhone SE2? And supposedly, it's easy to do, as per Youtube!

BearFBI

@eunchaeyu Yeah i think its worth the switch. I have a old iPhone 6 that i dont use and the battery sucks. Even if you get it replaced it still sucks. Plus the SE2 is not overly priced.

eunchaeyu

@mpcdesign 

haha thanks for your kind advice 🙂

My current one is iPhone 6s which I've been using for more than 5 years. The battery drains so fast which is driving me nuts. iPhone SE2 looks cool and now it's time to say good-bye to my old one. 

BearFBI

Sorry @mpcdesign I came to PM to spend less. Lol

@BearFBI and @eunchaeyu, I would love the new iPhone SE2, can you guys buy me one, my birthday is in 3 weeks? hehe.

@eunchaeyu, what's wrong with the current phone? Maybe, am cheap and frugal when it comes to cell phones, as I like to keep it until it's dead, but, especially with uncertain times with COVID-19 and work, you should be spending your money on something useful...such as food, soap, food, soap...

BearFBI

@eunchaeyu Cool! I heard about that phone yesterday. The iPhone SE2 uses a Nano SIM so you should be good. And its a new phone compatible with PM's 4G and 3G network. All you have to do is swap the SIM

eunchaeyu

@Staliger 

It's iPhone SE2 which is being released tmr! I believe that I could use the same SIM card as you mentioned. 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@eunchaeyu What phone are you considering to get? Most of modern phones that are unlocked are supported by PM. Even some old ones, like my Galaxy J1, are working fine😁

@eunchaeyu You can use https://willmyphonework.net to check your phone's compatibility before you buy it. Also, a U next to the submodel means the phone is unlocked.

BearFBI

No problem @eunchaeyu. Were here to help

eunchaeyu

Thanks for informing me 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@eunchaeyu 

That's the beauty of the SIM method...move it from phone to phone. Sizes could vary. The phone needs to be compatible and possibly unlocked.

eunchaeyu

Much appreciate it!

Stay safe 🙂

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@eunchaeyu  yes you can use the same plan and SIM card. Just switch the sim over. Stay safe. 

BearFBI

@eunchaeyu You are able to use the same SIM and and plan as long as the phone is supported with Public Mobile and that the SIM card size matches your new phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.