cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone not connecting to network

MrK1980
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i bought an "unlocked" phone from a amazon a week ago or so, but when i got it on monday problems started... before even thinking on buying the phone, i went and looked at reviews, checked the network bands to make sure it would work on the lte network, everything said yes, but that wasnt the case, i basically got a potato with wifi calling... went thru the pm community and the only option that may work (freedom mobile sim) doesnt have a store in new brunswick, and when i called they refused to send me a sim even if i bought one... and when i try to go switch my apn, it doesnt let me... and from what i can see the access point that is on the phone is telus, but it will nto let me edit switch or whatever... so please help so im not stuck with a potato with wifi... the phone is the Oukitel C17

26 REPLIES 26

Skennada
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I can imagine how frustrating that can be. However, that is the point of this network and its business/pricing model. The cost saved in not having manned (womanned ) phone lines is given back to the network members and the expectation is that the expertise developed by community members will be sufficient to address issues. I am confident that the folks here would do their best to provide as much support as possible to help with the resolution that you seek.

@MrK1980  Go into settings Apps select messages. Clear the cache and then select force stop. Restart your phone and test sending out a text.

MrK1980

google messages came pre installed on my phone

@MrK1980 wrote:

id like to talk to actual customer service, the only other thing ive talked to other than the community is that stupid chat bot that seems to be sending you in circles.. i have no idea how to contact modsa, or would of done that already

@MrK1980  Click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrK1980 wrote:

id like to talk to actual customer service, the only other thing ive talked to other than the community is that stupid chat bot that seems to be sending you in circles.. i have no idea how to contact modsa, or would of done that already

Yeah I hate that stupid thing too.

What is your hesitancy on posting screen shots? What is your hesitancy on saying whether you're sending regular texting SMS messages or multimedia MMS messages?

@MrK1980  did you restart your phone? Enable data and restart it. Try sending an mms message. 

MrK1980

@MrK1980 wrote:

ive always been on the 25$ a month plan with 500mb and 500mb autopay bonus... i can make and receive calls, i can surf the net, i can even receive textas, but when i go to send out a text its telling me sending failed

This detailed info helps quite a bit then. I would concern with @Anonymous doesn't sound like a porting issue, I thought all you could do is get data. 

Did you confirm on self-serve account that Text Messaging is ENABLED for this new phone?  I'd start there. Take a look at the Messaging section and see what the status is of TXT msgs that were sent to you. And if everything is active, give MODS a shout, it could just be a glitch with your plan and they have to do a reset? 

@MrK1980  Download and install Google messages from the play store.  Try sending out a text. Best to dial the number directly, don't use contacts. Report back status.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrK1980 wrote:

ive always been on the 25$ a month plan with 500mb and 500mb autopay bonus... i can make and receive calls, i can surf the net, i can even receive textas, but when i go to send out a text its telling me sending failed

Which is why I don't think it's a porting issue.

SMS or MMS?

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@MrK1980 

According to reviews online its a great phone especially for the price, hope all works out soon.

MrK1980

@MrK1980 wrote:

well i realized a space appeared between aliasredirect that i hadnt noticed til after... now my data works... but i still cant send texts

It really sounds like an incomplete port. Have you contacted moderators yet? Especially since now, you have some data. Were you on a prepaid plan with koodo before?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrK1980 wrote:

well i realized a space appeared between aliasredirect that i hadnt noticed til after... now my data works... but i still cant send texts

Woohoo!

SMS or MMS?

Could still use those screen shots.

MrK1980

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrK1980 

Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile = same compatibility. VoLTE might be a hang-up.

Can you do some screen caps of your APN. Like I said earlier...maybe there are some subtle changes we can suggest.

@MrK1980 wrote:

im about to throw this phone thru the window.. followed your steps and still cant surf nor send texts... i even went as far to wipe the phone to factory setting and readd everything and still the exact same thing.... im starting to think i might try other providers as koodo's imei checker said my phone was compatible with their network...

It is sounding like an incomplete port. Does Public flash in the top left or right corner? If you moved from koodo, did you speak directly to a moderator? Koodo accounts that are prepaid do not port over well. 

MrK1980

im about to throw this phone thru the window.. followed your steps and still cant surf nor send texts... i even went as far to wipe the phone to factory setting and readd everything and still the exact same thing.... im starting to think i might try other providers as koodo's imei checker said my phone was compatible with their network...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrK1980 wrote:

i just got my roam sim card today and followed everything to the letter, but my data still doesnt seem to be working, but i got to add the pb apn... im gonna attempt to factory reset it when i wake up and try again

Ok good. Now maybe some screen snips again. There may be some subtle changes we can suggest before you resort to that reset.

MrK1980

i just got my roam sim card today and followed everything to the letter, but my data still doesnt seem to be working, but i got to add the pb apn... im gonna attempt to factory reset it when i wake up and try again

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrK1980 

Just the card. It opens up the ability to do things with APN's.

MrK1980

Oukitel C17 pro

MrK1980

i seen in a previous post where someone mentioned ROAM works too, so i ordered one of those, not sure how long its gonna take to ship, but im gonna order one from freedom also incase roam dont work.. does the freedom or roam sim have to be on a plan for it to work or just need the sim card?

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@MrK1980 what is the make and model of the phone you bought?

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Maybe it would be easier to return the phone to Amazon for the refund and buy a different phone.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@MrK1980 Try this link to buy a freedom SIM card https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/sim-cards Its a legit site to get your order shipped faster call them through the WhatsApp number on site and ask them to rush it. Is your phone the pro? Thanks. 

Have you tried resetting your network? Sometimes this allows you to re enter and save your APN settings. 

20200424_173953.jpg

Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.