I don't know as most often my phone has disconnected from the tower and I don't get phone calls, and sometimes not even a text message that people say they have left.
I tend to agree with @computergeek541 on this. Keep in mind that B2 (1900 MHz) has higher priority than B5 (850 MHz). So even though inside your house is a very strong B5 signal, the network will always instruct your phone to search for a suitable B2 cell if it is better than some threshold.
Can you confirm what band you're connected to? If you have access to a Samsung, you can dial *#0011# to find out. Also on a Samsung, you can disable WCDMA 1900 by dialing *#2263# and it'll force you to stay on B5 for 3G. I know it's not helpful for LG and Moto, but it could help narrow the issue if you can get your hands on one.
Hello, I've collected much data and wanted to let you know the results:
Set up: A LG G3 phone ( my normal usage) and a Moto E 2nd gen. phone
1) Both phones in a wooden stand about 6" apart and 30" equidistant from my indoor Wilson amplified antenna
2)Testing each phone with PM & Telus SIMS
3) Using "OpencellID" to log data every minute for about 18 hours with each combination giving about 500-1000 data points for each combination. Less points when phone had lost service.
1) I only connect to two different towers: Renfrew at 20 km. away and Braeside at 9 km. away. As I'm right on the Ottawa river and a bay it is about 3km. across water first before crossing land to a tower. At any combination of phones or SIMs the furthest tower is 6 to 10 dB weaker (~-75 dB vs. -68 dB or -88 dB vs -78 dB)- no surprise there. All further measurements based on closest tower only.
2) The Moto E2 phone, with either the PM or Telus SIM performed 5.5 - 7.5 dB better than the LG phone and never lost service or if it did it was less than 3 minutes. It also did not switch towers often.The LG phone lost service seven times during the 18 hour period for periods of 11-241 minutes!. Big problem there - possible internal antenna weakening?
3) Telus SIM in either phone performed about 0.5 - 1.5 dB better than PM SIM but that is likely not significant due to atmospheric and other changeable conditions.
Thank you so much for your suggestions and help. I'll be for looking a better phone to put my PM SIM in!