cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nexus LG-E960

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

I'm trying to revive a nexus phone with a cracked screen. It was completely discharged and I've recharged the battery but the screen is unresponsive to touch. How do I get it working again before trying a screen replacement? These are the two screen shots I got once charged and turned on.20200913_140757-COLLAGE.jpg

16 REPLIES 16

@darlicious wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

D) all of the above

It's not exactly cheap to get a phone repaired these days. If I can do this in a reasonable amount of time successfully it could be a good supplement to my income seeing as i won't be working for at least another year or so pending my 10 month waitlist for surgery #2 and the longer harder recovery time. Fixing the odd broken screen here and there would be very helpful and im always up for a challenge. I make a mean cappuccino....i should dust mine off, prime her up and get brewing and steaming!

Assuming that you can get this phone repaired (even for free), this phone has no official support for LTE. This means that you're limited to the HSPA network. It also means that you won't receive official warning through the emergency alert system.  And, while you can install custom/unofficial software, this device is officially only running Android 5.1. The lmits the app support.

@CFPartDeux 

D) all of the above

It's not exactly cheap to get a phone repaired these days. If I can do this in a reasonable amount of time successfully it could be a good supplement to my income seeing as i won't be working for at least another year or so pending my 10 month waitlist for surgery #2 and the longer harder recovery time. Fixing the odd broken screen here and there would be very helpful and im always up for a challenge. I make a mean cappuccino....i should dust mine off, prime her up and get brewing and steaming!

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious  Just out of curiosity, what is the aim of repairing this 8yr. old phone..... just to see if you can do it..... to get at something you want to save from the phone..... to have yet another backup device to use for calls & texts(since a lot of apps would likely require a newer OS)..... something else..... all of the above? 🤔

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am 

You better tell Tom Wolfe to pack in he's just not with the times anymore....oh wait he's no longer with us. Oh well....

Seriously, it is quite the act of desperation to repair a decade old phone.

@will13am 

You better tell Tom Wolfe to pack in he's just not with the times anymore....oh wait he's no longer with us. Oh well....

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@geopublic wrote:

@darlicious  Should be easy to replace the screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lkcg8g3i1s

If you can repair an espresso machine this should be a piece of cake. 🙂

Agreed! That's an excellent video for this kind of thing, and so long as you have the tools, the screen, and the patience, this kind of thing is very doable! 👍

As for the naysayers...... 🙄

@darlicious 

My mistake: Nexus 4 is using an IPS LCD display. That was likely a cost cutting measure to offer this device at Nexus-level pricing, though the previous generation (Galaxy Nexus) was using super AMOLED.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This topic is really over discussed.  Trying to restore a broken Nexus 4 back to life is on par with repairing a broken typewriter these days.  

@geopublic 

Thank you for the link to YouTube....now I have a concept of what it will entail to repair this phone. If it's as difficult as @gpixel  has mentioned and I'm successful (if I decide to attempt it) I may have found a new trade to transitition to that doesn't require me being on my feet all day.

@darlicious  Should be easy to replace the screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lkcg8g3i1s

If you can repair an espresso machine this should be a piece of cake. 🙂

@darlicious that device was one of the hardest phones to fix. even if you manage to put the screen+digitizer back together, the touch screen may not function properly. the screen is glued to the frame. so when taking it apart, expect that the screen will come out in small pieces. you basically need to break the screen off..

I would rather try to take the battery out and use it on @will13am phone. but by doing that, you may also crack the rear glass. 

Ifixit has a teardown

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+4+Teardown/11781

@will13am 

Whoops missed you.....hmmm let me consider my options.

@geopublic  @computergeek541 

Ok now that you've finished laughing at what my lost puzzled face looks like....i have a replacement screen and thought i would use this as a learning experience. Im not out any money....just time spent. So this is a lot harder than I was led to believe.....because of the amoled screen?

If anyone would like to break it down in layman's terms so i can grasp the concept I can decide if I'm up for the challenge. BTW....i can diagnose and fix espresso machines. So while they are completely different working systems I do possess a mechanical skill set.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious  The only way to get it working is to replace the screen. If you had USB debugging turned on maybe you can try mirroring to a PC with something like this:

https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy

@darlicious 

You can't use a phone that is almost completely depending on a touchscreen to work if the screen isn't responding. Don't even think about trying to seperate the digitizer from an AMOLED screen.  Repairing this is also going to cost more than this device is worth, even if you perform the repair yourself.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have a solution.  My Nexus 4 has a dead battery.  Screen is fine.  How much would you offer me for it?  Purchaser pays for shipping.  No warranties.  

Need Help? Let's chat.