cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new phone, no service

dan616
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello!

I bought a refurbished iPhone 8. I have verified it is unlocked with the help of apple. I have verified it isn't reported lost or stolen on devicechek.ca. I have spent 2 days updating , installing, erasing , and reinstalling. I've done everything I've read about.  I spent four hours on the phone with apple. 

I place my working sim card into my new phone, and I get the "no service" message in corner of the phone. The sim card works in the old phone.

Any ideas? Can a moderator help me? I like the phone, and hope it works!

Thanks for the help, and have a good day!

15 REPLIES 15

dan616

Thank you . I am currently conversing with a moderator 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dan616 wrote:

Hello!

I bought a refurbished iPhone 8. I have verified it is unlocked with the help of apple. I have verified it isn't reported lost or stolen on devicechek.ca. I have spent 2 days updating , installing, erasing , and reinstalling. I've done everything I've read about.  I spent four hours on the phone with apple. 

I place my working sim card into my new phone, and I get the "no service" message in corner of the phone. The sim card works in the old phone.

Any ideas? Can a moderator help me? I like the phone, and hope it works!

Thanks for the help, and have a good day!

You PM SIM card is working on your old phone.  Therefore, it is not PM provisioning issue.  The problem is from your refurbished iPhone 8.

You may need to connect your iPhone 8 to iTune running on a PC or Mac computer to configure your iPhone 8. 

Was Apple helping you to use iTune to configured your iPhone 8?

If yes, you may bring your refurbished iPhone 8 back to the store who sold you your iPhone 8 for help or refund.

@dan616  Have you tested another sim card in your new phone? If yes, does it connect to a network?

Also make sure the phone is not set to connect to a specific network.

@dan616 

Have you put a working sim card from another provider in the phone? Do you have someone you can borrow one for a minute? Where did you purchase the phone from? Refurbished phones have very limited warranties.....you need to return the phone if it has not and will not read a working sim card.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dan616 

You said you used devicecheck.ca with no news.

Did you also try the Public Mobile one? Click on Get Started up top and open up the compatibility checker and lower down you can enter your IMEI.

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dan616 hi I don't see it mentioned here yet but try putting your phone in airplane mode for five minutes then restart your phone 

@dan616  try manually selecting another network ex. Bell. Restart your phone. Then select PM as your network and restart your phone. Thanks. Stay safe. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@dan616  - Hi,

If the SIM works in the other phone, it does sound like the phone you have is having issues.

Sorry, these tricks we are all throwing at you are not working for you  😞

Maybe contact the Moderator_Team via private message using this link. They could trouble shoot some more hopefully.

EDIT - are you able to try someone else's SIM card in the phone you want to use. Maybe a different provider (i know, scandalous) , just to rule things out.

dan616

Hi, no I'm on the west coast:)

dan616

I have tried taking the sim card out , and putting it back in. No luck

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@dan616 hi  contact a moderator  click on the ? Bottom right hand corner Ask Simon to speak to a human this will help create a ticket to speak to a moderator    check the envelope top right corner for a reply response time is 2 to 48 hours

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@dan616 , a question....are you by any change in Vaughan, ON ?

I ask that only because someone else just commented on network issues in this area.

If you are not, then disregard. thx

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Yes, follow @gpixel steps.

If still issues, you could try taking out you SIM and reinserting it.

dan616

Hi,

I have tried that . Any other ideas? Thanks:)

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@dan616 try resetting your network settings

1. From the home screen navigate to Settings>General>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings
If prompted enter your passcode
3. Tap Reset Network Settings
4. Restart your phone

• enable/disable airplane mode
Need Help? Let's chat.