cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

max west cell phones

thomasjmc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

when I check compatibility it say yes to 3 G but no to 4G besides speed will it still work on system  

17 REPLIES 17

@will13am wrote:

Given the supply disruptions, I highly recommend against going the Aliexpress route at this time.  I ordered the Umidigi F2 on 11.11 and got it in 3 months.  Not an experience for the anxious. 

Well, even though Amazon currently has a sale on the A3S, for $110, I decided to give AliExpress a shot, and ordered the phone last night. Given THEIR sale, and me being a new user there, they gave me a $4 coupon, which made the phone $78. As for the shipping time, it guesstimates 18 - 33 days, but DOES say that if the phone hasn't arrived in 60 days, I can file a dispute, to get a refund.

As it turns out, I got an email today, saying the phone had shipped, but based on what I've seen on there, it's VERY likely that all that's meant, is that they've created a shipping label, and nothing more. Since most of my wife's packages from there have arrived in 2 - 3 weeks, I'll hope for the same.

@darlicious , pick up your game!  Don't make another mistake again.  :womantongue:

@will13am  I was hazarding a guess....it was an example anyhow. I can't be right all the time? Can I?

@CannonFodder , 11.11 sale on AliExpress is like boxing week rolled into one day.  That sale is guaranteed to add a couple of weeks to the delivery time as merchants might take that long processing orders.  How many F2s do you think they sold that day when the price was south of $200?  The covid-19 outbreak in China played a role in the protracted delivery time also.  Out of respect for Public Mobile, I won't get into discussions of which brand or how concerning SIM 2 here.  @darlicious , no I am not on a $10 plan with Public Mobile.  I have the 2016 fall promo.  

@CannonFodder   If I was to guess I would think @will13am  similar to myself has another account like my $10 50/50 plan that has a few 1gb data gifts on it that can be used if plan data runs out.

@will13am wrote:

Given the supply disruptions, I highly recommend against going the Aliexpress route at this time.  I ordered the Umidigi F2 on 11.11 and got it in 3 months.

DANG - 3 months!!! 😯  The guesstimated delivery, for the phone I've been eyeballin', is up to about a month..... do you recall if there was a similar timeframe they gave you at that point? That, and did you get it from the official Umidigi store on Ali, or one of the multitude of other Ali stores?

Like many that have ever used a dual SIM phone, I like it for the convenience of being able to augment my data using SIM2.  Why should I pay $30 for 1GB when the data on SIM2 is free.

Care to elaborate? 🤔 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Given the supply disruptions, I highly recommend against going the Aliexpress route at this time.  I ordered the Umidigi F2 on 11.11 and got it in 3 months.  Not an experience for the anxious.  On the question of which model to get, without a doubt the F2.  I don't ever want to go back to using the A5 pro again.  The A5 pro is so slow on a side by side comparison comparison with the F2.  The F2 cameras actually work.  I really loved the A5 pro for the large battery.  The F2 battery is even larger and last longer.  Now that I am furloughed at home and not really needing my phone that much, I get 6 days on a single charge.  Brings back memories of the old flip phones.  

Like many that have ever used a dual SIM phone, I like it for the convenience of being able to augment my data using SIM2.  Why should I pay $30 for 1GB when the data on SIM2 is free.  

@darlicious wrote:

@thomasjmc   Aliexpress is having an anniversary sale right now and amazon.ca have some great options at affordable prices. [snip]

Umidigi A3s $65 US, A5pro $99 US, F2 $219 US....look for new user coupons to lower the price even more but check delivery times as they can vary wildly on aliexpress.

Yes, @thomasjmc , while I don't know what delivery times from the official Umidigi store on Aliexpress look like, my wife has ordered crafting supplies via Ali, probably 4 or 5 times now, and IIRC, the delivery times were USUALLY 2 - 3 weeks, and I THINK one of the packages took around a month.

I'm sure @CannonFodder  and @will13am  can weigh in on their choices in your budget as can @popping who has owned quite a few different phones over the years.

As @darlicious  has said, I currently have my eye on the A3S, simply because it fits my meager needs, and it's cheap, but from MOST of the reviews I've seen and read, it seems to "punch above its' weight class". Apparently @gblackma 's Mom, @zblackma  has it, and the younger blackma said that Mom quite likes it.

That, and as @popping  mentioned, Amazon.ca can seem like the better choice, if only because of possibly having to return the phone. They currently have the A3S on sale right now, for a limited time, for $110.

Anyway, some "food for thought".....

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I got my Umidigi A5 Pro during Amazon.ca sale back in November. I will not buy it from Ali because of long delivery time and the cost of returning it just in case I don't like it 

I buy it mainly for the dual SIM support.  I create a cheap combo plan with this phone using 2 cheap plans.

I use the saving from my combo plan to pay for my A5 Pro in 6 months.

@thomasjmc   Aliexpress is having an anniversary sale right now and amazon.ca have some great options at affordable prices. The umidigi A3 series, A5 pro and F2 come well recommended. My bf has the A5pro and it's a great phone. Long battery life, great camera 16mp (except for low light conditions) 32gb so lots of storage and comes with case and screen protector. Reg. $175 tax incl. often on sale for $130 cdn delivered.

Umidigi A3s $65 US, A5pro $99 US, F2 $219 US....look for new user coupons to lower the price even more but check delivery times as they can vary wildly on aliexpress. I'm sure @CannonFodder  and @will13am  can weigh in on their choices in your budget as can @popping who has owned quite a few different phones over the years.

thomasjmc

hello

Located in the north of Canada so hard to shop around and need it asap lol

budget 100 to 200 what you have in mind

@thomasjmc  If you are thinking of purchasing this phone i would recommend against the purchase. You would also want to make sure they have found a software update to fix the problem that maxwest phones had preventing them from working on any Canadian provider.

If you are in the market for a new phone tell us your budget and must haves and deal killers in a phone and the community can give you some suggestions.

@GreaseMonkey wrote:

PM 4g speeds are throttled down to 3G anyways.

your phone will work fine.

While that is generally true when it comes to most plans that people are on at Public Mobile, that isn't why the phone will work.

Compatiblility isn't related to the speed of the service, but rather by the type of the network. LTE has never been a requirement to use Public Mobile.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@thomasjmc what is the model number of your maxwest cell phone? Thanks.

These are PM's frequencies. Compare them.

3G Frequencies 850 MHz, Band 5 (UMTS/ HSPA).1900MHz, Band 2 (UMTS/ HSPA).

4G Frequencies 1700/ 2100 MHz AWS, Band 4 (LTE/ LTE Advanced).
                             700 MHz A/B/C/E, Band 12/13/17/29 (LTE/ LTE Advanced).

thomasjmc

thank you for quick reply and assist 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@thomasjmc wrote:

when I check compatibility it say yes to 3 G but no to 4G besides speed will it still work on system  

It will work provided the 3G frequencies are correct. The PM/Telus 3G network provides ALL calling services as well as text 4 & data. The 4G is data only and  texts.

FYI: Network Frequencies at PM

• 4G LTE/LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz; 2100 MHz downlink with 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).

• HSPA (3G): 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

GreaseMonkey
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

PM 4g speeds are throttled down to 3G anyways.

your phone will work fine.

Need Help? Let's chat.