cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

make phone number visible in outgoing calls

elanastacey
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all,

I just signed up with Public Mobile. I placed a call today to a landline, and it showed up as "unknown caller." It is important to me thant my name and phone number show up when I place calls. I am 99% sure that when I signed up for public mobile, I indicated that I wanted my number to be visible, but I can't seem to see this option when I go into my account settings. 

I am using an iPhone7+. 

When I go into my iPhone's general settings and select phone, there is no option to make my number visible. The profile tab under my account settings doesn't show this setting either - it just has address, billing info, email, and alternate phone number. My settings do show that the Carrier has been correctly updated to Public Mobile.

SIMon the robot has been most unhelpful, just suggesting that I dial 31# before outgoing calls (I would actually like my number to be revealed asa default, not as an exception).

Help! Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

@will13am wrote:

Edit:. Check out this site on how to toggle caller ID.

https://www.iphonelife.com/content/how-to-block-caller-id-make-private-call-iphone

The calling codes suggested on that site are for Verizon's CDMA based network, and are not the same as most every other GSM based network, and won't work for Public Mobile.

If your line defaults to allow outgoing Caller ID, you can block it for one call by prefixing #31# before the number you are dialing. ie #31#6045551212

If your line defaults to block outgoing caller ID presentation, you can allow it for one call by prefixing *31# before the number, ie *31#6045551212

These are historical codes listed for some GSM networks, and they set successfully on my PM phone, but they don't seem to actually function. You'd have to have mods change your default I guess:

To set the default to always block outgoing caller ID, just dial #31# by itself.

To set the default to anwasy present outgoing caller ID, dial *31#

Query current default setting: *#31#

In my android phone app, there is an option in Settings>Calls>Additional Settings>Caller ID to show or hide the number, but this means that it must be silently adding the #31# or *31# to every call if you don't choose the "network default" option...

Lastly, interestingly, when I call out from my Public Mobile line, my name *DOES* present along with the phone number on a land line phone's caller ID. I do not recall this being the case when I had tested in the past...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I am not an iPhone user but I am sure like android there's an option to block sending of the phone number to the receiving party and that's done on the phone.  There's definitely no option to do this on the account.  As for displaying the name, that depends on the recipient and their contact list.  The incoming number will automatically be matched to the contact list if the number is in their contact list.  Long story short, Public Mobile doesn't have any skin in this game so to speak.

Edit:. Check out this site on how to toggle caller ID.

https://www.iphonelife.com/content/how-to-block-caller-id-make-private-call-iphone

@darlicious wrote:

@cellphoneuser1  Public Mobile does not send the name but does send the number however @elanastacey  is looking for it to at least show the number and not "unknown caller" is this not possible?

I read it differently. @elanastacey did say name and number's important. That's not possible. @elanastacey, is it showing a number?

On landlines, they display number and name. Because Public sends no name, it'll show the the number and also say unknown caller.

@cellphoneuser1  Public Mobile does not send the name but does send the number however @elanastacey  is looking for it to at least show the number and not "unknown caller" is this not possible?

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@elanastacey That can't be done unless tbe person you call has a name saved on their phone. If you must have that, your only choice is Fido or Rogers. Public Mobile doesn't send a name.

Need Help? Let's chat.