cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

it seems someone cloned my phone number

Trev_H
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I get getting phone calls from people asking why I phoned them, I've literrally gotten dozens of these phone calls in the last few months. Problem is, I've never phoned them. It seems someone has cloned my phone number or something. How can this be fixed, stopped? Thank you, I really appreciate the community's help with this.

9 REPLIES 9

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Trev_H  You can reduce your aggravation if the calls are from unkown users by placing your phone on Do Not Disturb except for people in your contact list. If you give us the make/model of your phone someone likely can give you specific directions.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I know that this does not help much but I did have this happen to me with my work phone... in my case it sorted itself out after a couple of weeks.

Was annoying but I was not willing to give up my main work number.

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yea, as far as I know, there's not much you can do when your number is being spoofed short of changing your number. Likely a telemarketer or someone else is using your number to hide where they are actually calling from.

If you don't want to deal with all the phone calls but still want to keep your number, then I guess you could say a little something in your voicemail message about your number being spoofed. That doesn't really solve the issue, but it might stop some people from calling you back and complaining as often.

I wish I had more to offer...

@Trev_H wrote:

Hello, thank you. I've had the number a very, very long time; just joined Public Mobile in 2018. This is very unfortunate.

Just to be clear, the number spoofing has nothing to do with what carrier brand you use.  The perpetrator just picks a 10 number at random.  The unfortunate party can be anyone.

Trev_H
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, thank you. I've had the number a very, very long time; just joined Public Mobile in 2018. This is very unfortunate.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

It's possible that someone is using something like WhatsApp with either a random phone number or a previously used phone number that is now assigned to you.  Have you signed up recently, or have you been here for a longer period of time?

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Is this a new number for you?

There's not too much you can do unfortunetely....  and yes, it is possible to spoof a number for call display.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Trev_H , I don't know what Public Mobile can do about phone number spoofing.  The problem is the offending party is probably using a totally different service and making calls is if it's you when the recipient sees the number on call display.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Trev_H wrote:

Hi, I get getting phone calls from people asking why I phoned them, I've literrally gotten dozens of these phone calls in the last few months. Problem is, I've never phoned them. It seems someone has cloned my phone number or something. How can this be fixed, stopped? Thank you, I really appreciate the community's help with this.

You can log into My Account and change your phone number. A bit drastic, but probably help.

Need Help? Let's chat.