is public mobile a gsm or cdma service

kapil
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

public mobile is gsm or cdma

16 REPLIES 16

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@totalUser wrote:

One more thing: public doesn't support volte, which means your phone needs right 3g frequencies for talk and text, otherwise you can use it as data only device

@totalUser actually, LTE supports texting as well.  3G is "only" needed for talk.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Master2001
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kapil  a écrit :

Public Mobile frequency
3G HSPA+ B2(1900), B5(850) (Fallback for calls & 3G data)
LTE B2 (1900)
LTE B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1)
LTE B5 (850)
LTE B7 (2600)
LTE B12(700)
LTE B13(700)
LTE B17(700)
LTE B29(700)

https://www.askingbox.com/info/mobile-communication-what-are-gsm-gprs-edge-umts-hspa-and-lte 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@irek wrote:

as per frequency check website

Great of you jump in and participate. You'll soon enough learn who the resident experts are around here. sheytoon is one of them.

@irek wrote:

That site is wrong.

Public Mobile has never had 2g GSM.  They also have access to much more than just 1 LTE band.

irek
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@irek no that's completely wrong and unhelpful.

irek
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

public Mobile (Canada) uses 2 GSM bands, 2 UMTS bands, and 1 LTE band. hope it helps

you know there is cdma, when was your last cdma phone you have?

Not only that, it's missing tons of LTE bands, it has B4 separated as 2 items, it doesn't clarify 700 MHz, and it calls 3G 1900 as UMTS, but not 850.

@sheytoon wrote:

Sorry guys, but in my opinion that picture from SIMon is confusing and incomplete.

It makes it look as if HSPA network compatibility is optional. I suppose that is true, but only if the customer doesn't need voice capability.

Sorry guys, but in my opinion that picture from SIMon is confusing and incomplete.

popping

@totalUser wrote:

Thanks for the picture @popping i hope you don't mind me stealing it:)

No problem.  I got that from SIMon.  It is public knowledge.  Use it as often as you like to help PM subscribers.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

One more thing: public doesn't support volte, which means your phone needs right 3g frequencies for talk and text, otherwise you can use it as data only device

popping

@kapil wrote:

Telus had turned off its CDMA network.

Only Rogers is supporting GSM.

Therefore, CDMA or GSM only phone will not work with PM.  You phone needs at least 3G support.

It's UMTS/HSPA for 3G and LTE for 4G. There's no 2G GSM at Public Mobile.

Rogers is the only 2G GSM operator in Canada, and they are slowly decommissioning that network.

There is no longer any 2G CDMA networks in Canada.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hspa(umts) so neither

It's on bell/telus networkPM Network Frequencies.JPG

Thanks for the picture @popping i hope you don't mind me stealing it:)

Need Help? Let's chat.