cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is 2600mhz available in my area? or on the towers? still confused

georgepacan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

im wondering if 2600 & 700mhz is availible to public mobile customers or just bell and telus

because my phone will not connect to that band (7), (12) (13) (17) or it doesnt support it

model is a lg k4 2016 unlocked and bought from chatr wireless

i also looked at other discussions on here and doesnt really make sense to me

22 REPLIES 22

georgepacan

k i thank everyone for the proper info all tho im a comuter tech my self

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@georgepacan wrote:

Ohh! I thought it uses aws for both 3g and lte

@georgepacan no.  Only Freedom Mobile uses AWS for 3G in Canada, while Rogers, Bell, and Telus all use band 2 and 5 for UMTS/HSPA 3G network.  Except in a few areas (parts of Ontario for example), Freedom does not use AWS (called Band 4 for 4G LTE purposes) at all, and instead delivers LTE via band 66, with the exception of some areas as I noted.  Bell, Rogers, and Telus all use Band 4 (AWS) as their primary LTE band, but also use, in some areas, some combinations of bands 2, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, and a few others for LTE delivery to augment band 4 AWS LTE. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

georgepacan

Ohh! I thought it uses aws for both 3g and lte

srlawren

@georgepacan sure, though in fairness it is names *LTE* Discovery! Sorry, is your question asking about 3G? If so, PM uses bands 2 and 5, 850 and 1900 MHz. Edit: Telus does not use AWS for 3G, only Freedom does so in Canada. The rest (including Chatr) use 3G bands 2 and 5. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

georgepacan

I had that app b4 but it doesn't show hspa bands

srlawren

@NDesai wrote:

@georgepacanwrote:

I type 277634#*#* and then i select some options

This might be a phone brand specific. 

@R47 See here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Fun-with-LTE-Discovery-widget-LTE-ban...

Thanks @NDesai, I was going to metion that LTE Discovery can show you your current band, but you beat my to it by a day :).  @R47 please see that link above.  I think the widget may only be available if you buy the premium version of the app (I don't recall it being expensive), but the app itself can show it even in the free version IIRC.

georgepacan

Well i can only connect to telus in search networks and its all ok now i had to reset my apn, etc

I live in a fringe area so my bars fluctuate a lot

RLBL
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

this is my go to site:

https://willmyphonework.net/

@georgepacan wrote:

im wondering if 2600 & 700mhz is availible to public mobile customers or just bell and telus

because my phone will not connect to that band (7), (12) (13) (17) or it doesnt support it

model is a lg k4 2016 unlocked and bought from chatr wireless

i also looked at other discussions on here and doesnt really make sense to me

According to the site provided it should be supported... if it isn't, maybe the site should not be my go to!

2018-01-15_100125.jpg

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@georgepacan

As already mentioned by others, B7, B12, B13, B17 are certainly available from the network. Whether all bands are available in your specific area, or whether your phone supports them is another question.

See cell site locations here:

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

You can connect to any Bell, Telus, or Sasktel 3G or LTE site.

If you have more questions, just ask.

The information provided in that screenshot is just plain wrong for GSM.  There is no 2g GSM network for Public Mobile.  In addition, the LTE compatibility list is incomplete.

And yes, there is 2600MHz available on LTE for Public Mobile customers in certain areas.

@georgepacanwrote:

This might be a phone brand specific. 

@R47 See here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Fun-with-LTE-Discovery-widget-LTE-ban...

georgepacan

R47
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just wondering, how can you check what band you're connected to with Android?

georgepacan

My k4 uses aws 1700/2100 for lte and i think the same for hspa or 1900 for hspa

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@wetcoaster

Thanks, I stand corrected.

I got that info from here:https://apn-canada.gishan.net/net_15_public_mobile_internet_and_mms_settings.php

Looks like that site needs some correction Smiley LOL

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

PM uses the Telus network so this is the current summary:

Telus frequency summary

As you can see, 2600 (band 7) is available only in certain areas and 700 (12/13/17/29) is listed as being used for rural areas so if your phone isn't connecting to these then either your phone doesn't support them or the towers you are connecting to aren't providing them.

I don't know if your LG K4 has different variants but a quick look seems to say it supports bands 2, 4, 5 and 13 - this should be enough to get LTE in most places.

A really good post is @sheytoon's: What frequencies does my phone need to work on Public Mobile?

@Lg85- your screenshot seems to be outdated, PM uses the Telus network and has access to all the Telus frequencies/bands.

EDIT: @wetcoaster beat me to it! 🙂

georgepacan

Its ok imma switch back to chatr

@Lg85 wrote:

@georgepacan

Below are the network frequencies for Public Mobile for its 2G, 3G, and 4G networks.

Looks like it will not connect to 2600 and 700MHz.

Public Network Frequencies.png

@Lg85

There is something wrong with the information you've posted... Public Mobile uses the Telus network and Telus has never supported 2G GSM (their orignal cell network was on CDMA, different technology). So a 2G GSM only phone that works on the Rogers network doesn't work on the Bell / Telus network.

@georgepacan

Please refer to @sheytoon's post here for required bands:

@sheytoon wrote:

Minimum recommended phone specs:

• 3G UMTS/W-CDMA/HSPA: B2 (1900) and B5 (850)
  • 4G FDD-LTE: B4, B5, B12/B17

Currently VoLTE is not available and voice calls are only on 3G. SMS and data can work on 3G or LTE. Fastest data speeds are on LTE.

For LTE, these are all of the available bands on the network: 2, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 29, 30. Some bands are available in some locations, others available elsewhere. B66 will be coming next.

Any phone you are considering should have B4, B5, B12 (or B17 instead of B12) for minimum coverage.

B2, B7 (and B66 shortly) will give you faster speeds. The rest are not really necessary.

Full thread: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/Discussions/message-id/5822...

Lg85

@georgepacan

Yes, you are right. It looks like both Telus and Bell has the LTE Band 7 2600 MHz frequency, not Public Mobile.

Telus Frequencies for LG K4

Bell Frequencies for LG K4

georgepacan

@Lg85 i noticed when i put back in my chatr sim the signal is very strong indoors and stable, telus towers sucks weak coverage indoors especially basements

georgepacan

@Lg85 ya i know but when i select band 2 it connects to that band of LTE

Lg85

@georgepacan

Below are the network frequencies for Public Mobile for its 2G, 3G, and 4G networks.

Looks like it will not connect to 2600 and 700MHz.

Public Network Frequencies.png

Need Help? Let's chat.