cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone vs. Android battery

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So for the first time in a decade I am considering returning to an iPhone, mostly because the sound will be better.

But comparing the battery between an iPhone 12 and Pixel 3aXL it appears the iPhone is much less?

Is iPhone much more efficient than an android or something?  I had no idea iPhone batteries were so small.

10 REPLIES 10

I've seen battery drain tests. I'm a nerd...

the newer iPhones are very efficient. mAH rating isn't as important with a highly efficient processor and OS system. I think Samsung has held the crown for a while now

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

I love my iPhones. I could not go back. But I respect what others like. 

So the battery on an iPhone 12 vs another choice. 

Keep in mind, logically, what difference does it make...battery size??

What is the difference of each phone just to run it vs using it as well.  

Here are some ways to optimize your battery in the iPhone 12 ... and this site has similar information for a lot of other phone types as well. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin 

I use both types of devices, and have for some time.   

It's my opinion that Android batteries have been longer lasting than iPhone batteries, when comparing overall battery health and longevity.

It is true that how one uses a device, apps, battery saving features, will have a huge impact on the battery.   Also, where a device is stored may affect the longevity (heat = bad).

One thing you might consider is the cost of replacing a battery before committing to a particular device - this way you'll know what you're in for down the road.

Good luck!!!

mattthetechguy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Generally the more MaH the battery is the more capacity, but that isn't really an accurate measurement of battery life. Battery life largely comes down to what components are in the phone (silicon, screen, cameras, storage, etc) and how well the phone maker optimized those components to be battery efficient.

Your best bet is to look up battery life benchmarks for each specific phone you are looking at. Ideally the benchmarks are all from one third-party source so that they are consistent. 

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin 

Motorola was the first to go with a massive 5000 mAh battery a few years ago, which made their phones the battery kings.  It was a very successful move which made people and manufacturers take note. Since then every other manufacturer has noticed and are now going with bigger and better batteries, because that's what people want and need with all the other fancy hardware.

@rossputin 

Many smartphone manufacturers choose to go with a smaller battery, just to keep the cost, size and weight of the phone down. It's not always the best way to go, as both Apple and Android manufacturers have found out. They both have had major flops due to battery choices

How much are you willing to spend? That would be a good starting point.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess one needs to look at aftermarket sites or external references to get those capacities. All I could find on the Apple site was hours of playing a video. Marketing.

Step away from the Apple Koolaid. 🙂

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Here is an article about iPhone battery and performance.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208387

Anonymous
Not applicable

Product lines on both sides of the OS aisle have varying battery capacities.

Battery life of course depends on usage which varies for everyone. Light or dark mode. Amount of time not asleep. Number of radios actively on.

Need Help? Let's chat.