cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone showing 3g

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Not an iPhone person, my friends iPhone newer model is showing 3g.  They are o .The 4.5gb  3g plan.  The phone I believe should  show lte not 3g.

Does anyone have a step by step  directions on how to  switch the network mode so they will be on lte?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

jwramsay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Public Mobile offers a choice between a 3G data pan or an LTE (4G) data plan. The iPhone will not connect at LTE if she is on the 3G plan. She will need to upgrade her data plan to 4G. 

You can check out the plans here and note the difference between the prices in 3G vs LTE. 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans 

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am thanks for the education on networks.  Really informative, learned a lot just reading your reply.  Thanks.

Keep LTE on, no need for data roaming.

The quality and coverage of the LTE network is excellent these days.

@mimmo wrote:

Thanks @Luddite I knew someone here would have the solution.

What do you mean less stable? Is that because of towers etc?  Is this an apple thing or Android as well?

It depends on location and what the LTE tower frequency is.  Most phones hang onto a connection for dear life even if it is struggling to get a strong connection.  This is what causes data performance issues. 

With band 4 (1700 Mhz) being the most widely available band in many areas, the relatively high frequency means a potentially weaker connection in an indoor environment.  Quite often, selecting 3G will result in a band 5 (850 Mhz) connection which is generally more friendly for indoor signal strength. 

These are all generalities and can vary widely depending on location specific conditions such as the available LTE bands.  Out in the GTA, Bellus has invested significantly in repurposing both band 2 and band 5 for LTE-A as well as making use of the 700 Mhz spectrum.  In these locations, there are no real advantages with 3G vs LTE connection. 

On android, I use network cell info lite apk to do site surveys of areas I spent a lot of time in like home and work.  Right now I have a band 13 connection which is a 700 Mhz frequency band.  This is arguably even better than band 5 on 3G.  Long story short, I would recommend against universally forcing a 3G connection, especially when the setting may be left on and forgotten.  Maybe the user is not holding the phone correctly?  Smiley Tongue

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks @Luddite I knew someone here would have the solution.

What do you mean less stable? Is that because of towers etc?  Is this an apple thing or Android as well?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@mimmo wrote:

Not an iPhone person, my friends iPhone newer model is showing 3g.  They are o .The 4.5gb  3g plan.  The phone I believe should  show lte not 3g.

Does anyone have a step by step  directions on how to  switch the network mode so they will be on lte?

Thanks

Settings >> Cellular >> Cellular Data Options >> Enable LTE: turn ON; Data Roaming also ON

Sometimes the 3G signal (i.e.LTE OFF) is more stable; depends on locale.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.