cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone says "searching" and no phone service

MarieL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello @CS_Agent,

Since yesterday, my phone says searching and I can't make or receive phone calls. I tried taking the SIM card out and putting it back in. I tried resetting Network Settings, I tried a hard reset, I confirmed my account status says Active. I don't know what else to do. I'm wondering if it has to do with the recent update to IOS 12.1.4 that my phone recently automatically updated to. Is there anything else I can try? I've seen some posts that says to go in Settings/Cellular and set to automatic but I don't have that setting in my settings.

Please help 😞 .

Thank you,

Marie

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CalgaryBen wrote:

At this point, unfortunately the best diagnosis will probably come from Apple, so this may necessitate visiting an Apple Store and having the "Geniuses" look at it.  They could then quickly pinpoint whether it's a hardware issue, or iOS...

@MarieL this is probably really good advice.  By chance do you have an iPhone 6/6S? These models are prone to developing antenna connection issues spontaneously after a period of time of working just fine.  The connection of the antenna to the motherboard can become loose over time.  An Apple store should be able to diganose this for you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@MarieL wrote:

Tried my sim card in another phone and it works so I guess it's either my device or the IOS update.

Incidentally, which iPhone is it?  You said you already did a network reset (i.e. Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings) correct?  Just double-checking since there are different interpretations of what a network reset is.

At this point, unfortunately the best diagnosis will probably come from Apple, so this may necessitate visiting an Apple Store and having the "Geniuses" look at it.  They could then quickly pinpoint whether it's a hardware issue, or iOS...

Sorry for you @MarieL...Smiley Frustrated

MarieL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Tried my sim card in another phone and it works so I guess it's either my device or the IOS update.

Sharry19
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@MarieL this is a community form & not Moderaor 

Please try to do these simple steps:

Put your sim into other phone/phones & put other sim in the same iphone just to make sure if iphone is working normally

on your PM my account page click on lost/stolen phone then after 5 mintues click back on found phone service may get start

on the very last, if nothing works, then please send a Private message to MOD by clicking on this link @CS_Agent they will troubleshoot the problem.

I hope this info will work for you.

**** Please note: I am not a Moderator ****

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@MarieL what do you see in Settings --> Cellular --> Network Selection?

Did you happen to drop your phone recently?

Some things to try:

• Turn on Airplane mode, wait 30 seconds, then turn off Airplane mode
  • Full power off and back on
  • If possible, use https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html to identify/locate a "green" coloured tower (TELUS), and go close to it, and see if you're able to get a connection (again, do Airplane mode off, then on).  If this works, then it's quite possible your antenna connector popped off the board or somehow got compromised.
  • Obviously the more testing (with different SIM cards, or use in other phones) will help narrow down the issue, but let us know what you have access to, and we can pursue these if practical.

Also, any further background?  For example how long were things working before, was it strictly after the iOS update when this stopped, etc.?  I haven't seen any mention of losing cellular connectivity on iOS 12.1.4, but that doesn't mean it can't happen (there were some complaints about cell/WiFI data connectivity on 12.1.3 for some users).

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@MarieL

Did you check the black list?

Did you put your sim card in someone elses phone to try?

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

Did your change your plan?? 

mimmo

@MarieL  are you able to try the sim in a differnt phone.  this will confirm account vs hardware issues.

@CalgaryBen  have you seen this before?

Murco
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@MarieLCan you try a different sim card from a friend or family member?

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

Hello @MarieL

You are not with the moderators here but with customers like you who want to help you....

srlawren

Tagging @CalgaryBen and @Luddite to see if they have any iPhone advice here.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.