cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EdmondY
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: iPhone "Enable LTE" Question

That's strange, I would have calls come in while connected to LTE.  The network instructs my phone to switch to 3G to receive the incoming phone call.  My family and friends hasn't told me about calls not getting picked up frequently.

RayT3k
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I echo TK123's experience. There are many variables that influence what to set.

I don't have a strong signal at home and was missing calls (iPhone & Galaxy). I figured that the delay for the phone to switch to 3G for the voice call was too long for it to start ringing. 

Switched it to 3G, WCDMA/GSM setting on my Galaxy S9, and way more reliable at receiving calls. Feedback from callers is there is less of a delay before the dial tone rings and I picked up in less rings than previous.

If I am outside and need to make a skype call let's say, then I would switch it to LTE. Other than that, 3G is more than adequate for my needs both in and outside my home.

Again, all depends on your environment. If I had a strong signal at home, I would let the phone default to LTE/WCDMA/GSM (Auto Connect).

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@TK123

On a properly configured network, calls will work just fine on LTE without VoLTE.

The mechanism is called CS fallback or CSFB.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/130581#M428...

There's some other issue that's causing missed incoming call notifications for you. Your phone is not being paged correctly, and Telus should be addressing this to fix it.

TK123
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@sheytoon wrote:

@TK123

On a properly configured network, calls will work just fine on LTE without VoLTE.

The mechanism is called CS fallback or CSFB.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/130581#M428...

There's some other issue that's causing missed incoming call notifications for you. Your phone is not being paged correctly, and Telus should be addressing this to fix it.

Yes, from what I have gathered from googling this issue, it seems that the failure to switch properly from LTE to 3G happens about 2-3% of the time - that's 1 in 50 or 1 in 33 incoming calls, kind of rare, but enough that it seems easy to switch to 3G to eliminate this issue.  The solution is VoLTE, but Telus doesn't want to enable this feature on Public Mobile.

Telus would know EXACTLY what this failure rate is.  They have network diagnostics that would monitor this.  Can you tell us  Telus? 🙂

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hmmm, interesting. As far as I've heard, there haven't been any issues when people try to call me. I'll have to look into that.

TK123
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

https://www.vanfm.com/CSFBFailureRate.pdf

I have highlighted on the 5th of 8 pages (listed as Page 141) where the "CSFB failures
across the network are around 1–2 percent"

Now, keep in mind the date of this article is 2013, but when I look at what is involved in a successful switch from LTE to 3G, it looks problematic.  Technology has likely improved the reliabilty of this switch, but again, the real solution appears to be VoLTE.

Need Help? Let's chat.