cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone & Measuring Data Used

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey all, wondering if anyone has light to shed on this question.

Every single time my plan renews, I reset the data statistics on my phone (iPhone 6s) so I can keep an eye on how much data I've used without having to log on to my account. However, the total data used NEVER coincides with the amount when I add up how much each application has used up. I'll attach screenshots to show my point.

When I add up the amounts from each app, the total comes out to just under 460 mb, yet my total is apparently 693??? 

It feels like I should have way more data left over each month, but for some reason 100s of mb are being eaten up by unknown sources.

IMG_2251.PNGIMG_2252.PNG

5 REPLIES 5

luke11992

@Anonymous wrote:

Re-reading this...the session and rounding don't matter. This is what your phone is reporting. What does the counter in your self-serve say? How at all close is IT to your phone counter? That's the counter that matters.

The self-serve reports a similar number to that on my phone, so the accurracy isn't the issue as much as me just wondering what on my phone is actually using so much of my monthly data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@luke11992 wrote:

True, I'm assuming there must be some background things at play which use data, but it seems that using 1/3 of my data on mystery uses is way too high!

Also iMessage is included within the System Services, so at least that is accounted for.

Re-reading this...the session and rounding don't matter. This is what your phone is reporting. What does the counter in your self-serve say? How at all close is IT to your phone counter? That's the counter that matters.

luke11992

True, I'm assuming there must be some background things at play which use data, but it seems that using 1/3 of my data on mystery uses is way too high!

Also iMessage is included within the System Services, so at least that is accounted for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@luke11992 

Your phone is always looking to be on a network. Background updates or checks. Emails, feeds, iMessages etc. Some apps may not show here and just help themselves to data anyway.

Also, each session is rounded up to the kilobyte. So over time, if you turn off data and back on, that will slowly add up just on it's own. I suspect a session resets overnight but I haven't verified that.

luke11992

An addional screenshot just after resetting my data statistics if anyone is interested. The total data is already over 3x what I have supposedly used. IMG_2255.PNG

Need Help? Let's chat.