cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone / Web,iMessage,Mail etc. not working on 3G

mattfromcanada
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We always have 3G / Cellular Data turned off for Spotify.  Last week, we were at the cottage, ran out of PodCasts, and decided to turn on the Data for 1 Podcast on my wife's Phone.  iPhone XR.  When we turned the Data back off (after it told us we hit 95% of the 1Gig Data) the phone would receive very few texts.  I checked it and was able to send back & forth to my phone (iPhone 6S Plus) but they went through as Text messages, not iMessage.  When we returned home and the phone hooked back up to our Wifi, all was well.  As soon as she leaves the Wifi area, the phone reverts to text only, no data etc.  I did some searches and found a few posts about resetting the Apple server, or doing a hard reset on the phone, and none of that worked.  All I did was toggle data on for Spotify, played the podcast, then toggled it back off. I check my account and see that Data is not listed.  Does it mean I've simply used up all of my data?  And if I buy an add-on, does it expire at the end of the cycle?  The bill is due on the 17th, so it would only be 10 days.

13 REPLIES 13

It is a two step process to purchase add-ons.  You need to  purchase the add-on and make a payment.

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re off to the races!

mattfromcanada
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I did the 1gb top up, and the issue still prevails.  It works on Wifi, not on cellular.  No data on cellular.....I'm wondering if I perhaps just put the $15 toward my account, b/c it's showing that I owe $25.00 on July 17, and that the balance owing is $10....so perhaps I didn't buy the data top up properly?

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cavemantoronto  The $40 & $50 plans have data that costs less that $15/gb. 

@benfatto 

Plan data can't be cheaper than add-on data. Cheapest plan ever with data was $15. Most expensive data add-on is 1GB for $15.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mattfromcanada  If your plan data is cheaper than the data add-on you could renew your plan early with assistance from the moderators. 

@kb_mv The server part was more for the OP's benefit as it was asked if the server had to be reset. This isn't really about iPhone, but more about not being able to use an instant messaging and e-mail applications without an internet connection.

@computergeek541  Makes perfect sense. Thanks.

@kb_mv wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@kb_mv 

There is no issue with the Apple server. iMessage features cannot be used without a working internet connection.

@computergeek541 I don't recall mentioning an Apple server. I know very little about iPhones so only mentioned that others will soon chime in on that issue with some help or guidance for the OP.

@kb_mv The server part was more for the OP's benefit as it was asked if the server had to be reset. This isn't really about iPhone, but more about not being able to use an instant messaging and e-mail applications without an internet connection.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

The reason is that Imessage either uses your plan data or wifi @mattfromcanada . So, no data, no Imessage. Get the 1 gig add on as suggested by @computergeek541. Which stays on your account until used up. Stay safe.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@kb_mv 

There is no issue with the Apple server. iMessage features cannot be used without a working internet connection.

@computergeek541 I don't recall mentioning an Apple server. I know very little about iPhones so only mentioned that others will soon chime in on that issue with some help or guidance for the OP.

@kb_mv 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If no amount of data is showing under data and add-ons in your self serve account then it means it has been used up.  If you purchase an add-on it remains in your account until it is depleted.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

Your add ons last until they are completely used up. That must have been a heck of a pod cast to use almost a GB of data! No doubt you will soon have some answers on the iPhone issues.

You've used all data. To get data working again, you'll have to buy a data add-on. 1GB can be purchased for $15. Add-on data carries forward until used up.

Need Help? Let's chat.