cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Users...

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi,

So I have an iPhone SE and I noticed when in the cold weather the phone shuts down, I Googled it and found that iPhones shutting down in cold weather is actually quite common. I'm here to ask you if you are an iPhone user if you have experienced this. If you have how do you deal with it? Surely you want to take your phone outside in any weather and having your phone shut down is rather inconvenient when your phone is supposed to be there for your convenience.

Capture.PNG

34 REPLIES 34

Obice

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Obice...I'm rockin' an iPhone SE as well. Open your Settings / Battery...it'll give you an idea of you Battery Health. In the past, I've had the phone shut down in cold weather also. I've recently changed out the battery ($75)...but haven't had any cold weather to speak of ...yet !

As suggested by @Lemony_Snicket ...perhaps the battery is the culprit.

I was going to make a thread about iPhones and then recalled this one. It's winter despite not much snow where I am (Ontario). How's your phone holding up or did you get another?

88cranston

@Obice wrote:

I have had an iPhone 5s that I personally removed the old battery from and replaced it with a battery off eBay.

I'm really not prepared to pay Apple or any company for that matter over $50 just to replace something that should already be removable. Alas, I'm starting to waste my breathe it seems. Smiley LOL

Ooooops. Sorry I was mis thinking again!!! Absolutely YES, there are 2 double faced strips holding the battery secure. I was thinking about the newer phones above SE that the screen is also double face taped in too. Where as the 5 5S and SE screens are only held in by 2 tongues at the top, friction devices on the side and 2 screws on the bottom. 

Obice

@88cranston wrote:

@Obice wrote:

@88cranston  Clearly you are very much devouted to Apple.

I shan't chastise you or congratulate you. If the system works for you and you are okay with it, so be it.

I have used Windows all my life so it is what I know. I've used Apple computers here and there via educational institutions and friends who have them. Other than the fact that Windows can play games and macOS can't (none that are AA/AAA) I really don't see a huge difference other than the price tag.

What really "grinds my gears" if you will isn't the software or hardware itself, it's the companies behind them that are the problem. Till something is done about them I shall continue to chastise the companies and hopefully share useful information to consumers.

Games...not hooked on them so I understand why you need the machines you need. The last game I played was on a black and white TV and it was called Pong!

In fairness, I have heard/been told that when it comes to stability, productivity and overall efficiency that macOS is the way to go. If you are looking to save a buck or have to save a buck and can't afford an Apple computer, go with Windows. That's not to say Windows isn't as good it's just not Apple.

It would be quite biased to say that one or the other is better than the other. They both have their pros and cons, like anything does. As I said previously, it is the companies that I have a grave problem with.

88cranston

@Obice wrote:

I shan't chastise you or congratulate you. If the system works for you and you are okay with it, so be it.

I have used Windows all my life so it is what I know. I've used Apple computers here and there via educational institutions and friends who have them. Other than the fact that Windows can play games and macOS can't (none that are AA/AAA) I really don't see a huge difference other than the price tag.

What really "grinds my gears" if you will isn't the software or hardware itself, it's the companies behind them that are the problem. Till something is done about them I shall continue to chastise the companies and hopefully share useful information to consumers.

Games...not hooked on them so I understand why you need the machines you need. The last game I played was on a black and white TV and it was called Pong!

88cranston

@Obice wrote:

Thanks. What works for one may not for another. I understand. 😀

I was driven away from Microsoft because of their crappy Windows....one good...next one sucked....no consistency......no constant improvement.....always a set back.....and too many updates because of their screw ups!!

Apple is better for me!

But Apples built in obsolescence by form of excluding device from operating system updates is very poor for us, the user....it is robbery. But phone wise let’s face it.....it is all a rip off....free phone with contract.....BS you pay extra on the contract to pay for phone.......and a phone made with cheap labour for 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 hundred dollars or greater.....that is robbery too. 

Obice

88cranston

@darlicious wrote:

Not really...i always thought I had a Mac brain but after helping out my grumpy neighbour with his iPhone I don't thing I have the capacity to wrap my brain around a whole new operating system. Btw...link went to a pm red error warning. It's like a premonition! Thx anyways @88cranston 

Ok what did this comment mean?

Btw...link went to a pm red error warning.

As far as iOS or MacOS and the new iPad OS. Here is my thoughts. 

At work I worked with MSDOS, Windows 3, up tp 10. After I retired I soon became a Windows 10 hater. While I really really  liked Windows 3.1 and 7 and DbaseIII, I remain a PC/Windows hater. I don’t know if Windows 10 is recognized as an accepted operating system by many companies. The rebooting, the lack of handshaking between MS Windows and the computers (HP ASUS ETC) operating system, blue screen and system updates.....I can’t believe how much time I would waste screwing around with Windows. Just imagine my time wasted times 100 office workers on computers.......how much payroll is lost?? So on to a second hand iMac and almost no issues.....95% less BS....I love my iMac. And do you remember those commercials where Apple would thank Microsoft for sending them new customers .......that commercial was so well done. 

So @darlicious  when a man says something to a woman.....what he means and thinks is often interpreted differently by a woman and vice versa 🤪🤪. So one of them has to offer a better explanation or ask questions to clarify. If you don’t well..... You have to get into a groove of understanding to make it all work. 

MacOs works just fine......what I did was made up a sheet of what differences of what shortcuts I used and other processes that I frequently used and found the macOS solution and a few months later I was totally converted and will remain.

So once in the groove with macOS it is only logical to use iOS and iPad OS. 

By the way I bought the iMac close to 7th and Cambie in a big building that rented offices by the week. 

Obice

I have tried out Macs at school. They had iMac's. I used macOS, it's nice but the "best"? I don't think so.

I don't like to give merit to anything these days. In the past I might've said Windows was best but it's not. If I were to give merit to an operating system of today, it would probably be for Linux. Open source, FREE, very little to no spying at all, well optimized. (i.e. W10 uses about 3.8GB ram when idle, nothing open. Ubuntu uses 2.5-2.8GB ran when idle, also nothing open.)

I'll tell you, once I can comfortably play my video games with Linux on my computer I will never look at Windows again and if I do it will be with a VM.

Not really...i always thought I had a Mac brain but after helping out my grumpy neighbour with his iPhone I don't thing I have the capacity to wrap my brain around a whole new operating system. Btw...link went to a pm red error warning. It's like a premonition! Thx anyways @88cranston 

88cranston

@darlicious wrote:

Ive got some nice waterfront property fof sale in Florida and a snocone shop in alert bay if you know of anyone interested....yesterday I learned how to download music free onto a sd card put it into my back up flip phone so my boyfriend will stop borrowing my phone to listen to music after his phone was lost, found hopelessly smashed with his playlist impossible to recover. Perfect example of the disposable society.  Two smashed phones in less than two years with neither fully paid off yet! But my "tech" skills are improving...paired his Bluetooth headphones to it and tried to pair the speaker but gave up after an hour of troubleshooting they just may not be compatible. 2019 sounds to 2014 flippers. He didn't even think it was possible....now maybe if he figure out how to use his data on it I could guarantee my smartphone will stay in one piece. Bought and paid for on the spot 2 years ago. I still expect things to last....

@darlicious If looking for another iPhone. Follow my tips and click or tap here. 

Ive got some nice waterfront property fof sale in Florida and a snocone shop in alert bay if you know of anyone interested....yesterday I learned how to download music free onto a sd card put it into my back up flip phone so my boyfriend will stop borrowing my phone to listen to music after his phone was lost, found hopelessly smashed with his playlist impossible to recover. Perfect example of the disposable society.  Two smashed phones in less than two years with neither fully paid off yet! But my "tech" skills are improving...paired his Bluetooth headphones to it and tried to pair the speaker but gave up after an hour of troubleshooting they just may not be compatible. 2019 sounds to 2014 flippers. He didn't even think it was possible....now maybe if he figure out how to use his data on it I could guarantee my smartphone will stay in one piece. Bought and paid for on the spot 2 years ago. I still expect things to last....

Obice

@darlicious wrote:

@Obice  With all the technology that surrounds us on a daily basis nowadays I don't know how you even survive in today's world. I thought I was pulled into the 21st century kicking and screaming well maybe more smashy smashy and a whole lot of swearing. But if your not careful you're going to be needing dentures in no time! The made to last generation is going by the wayside. Unfortunately the vast majority of people are part of a "green" disposable society.

You actually bring up another point which I'd rather not get into but since we're already in deep, might as well.

As seen with the release of the new Google Pixel 4 and 4 XL, Google has decided to release the phone along with their other products as "mostly" recycled. A lot of people probably think "Oh good! They are recycling! That's excellente for the environment!"

Here's why I'm not shouting the same glee from the rooftops. Yes, they are recycled. Yes, that's amazing for the environment. But no, that's unacceptable to me that they are selling us recycled goods at the SAME HIGH PRICES as the sh** that isn't recycled. They are selling us garbage (almost literally) for a fortune and we still pay for it! Smiley LOL I have never seen such a scam as that in my entire life.

How do I survive? Well, thankfully I don't do much on my smartphone so I can manage.

@Obice  With all the technology that surrounds us on a daily basis nowadays I don't know how you even survive in today's world. I thought I was pulled into the 21st century kicking and screaming well maybe more smashy smashy and a whole lot of swearing. But if your not careful you're going to be needing dentures in no time! The made to last generation is going by the wayside. Unfortunately the vast majority of people are part of a "green" disposable society.

Obice

This is the world we live in.

We go to the store or buy a phone online that's designed to be discontinued in a short time frame so you will go and buy the next thing shortly after. To add salt to the wound, they make the battery non-removable, they have stripped away headphone jacks in favor of coercing you into buying wireless headphones that are overpriced like the phones themselves and both break and aren't well made... so you can certainly get either repaired at a cost so high you might as well just buy new...

It's all against us, it all works against us. When someone like me talks about it it's like I'm showing off a new element or I'm a wizard.

I have a Samsung Rugby 4, it has a removable battery. You know what it also is qualified for? Water protection. The cover for the battery has a seal to it and yeah sure that wears down but it HAS ONE. Why can't they do this on smartphones? Because then they DO NOT make money, they cannot coerce you into getting something new. Instead we get b.s. where you have to disassemble a phone that has a variety of different screws that makes it troublesome for the average Joe to take apart and therefore "not worth the effort" to do.

It's for all this that I just stick to old technology and grind my teeth at how slow it is.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Obice wrote:

I have had an iPhone 5s that I personally removed the old battery from and replaced it with a battery off eBay.

I'm really not prepared to pay Apple or any company for that matter over $50 just to replace something that should already be removable. Alas, I'm starting to waste my breathe it seems. Smiley LOL

I agree... batteries are consumables, and consumables should be easily replaced with no special skills, tools, etc.  It's insane what effort is involved when replacing batteries on things like iPads.

The first time I let Apple replace my battery instead of doing it myself was last year when Apple offered their battery warranty replacement program ($29+GST), which covered the iPhone SE.  After that, I became convinced that genuine Apple batteries are actually worth the extra money -- you know they'll perform to spec.  It's just too bad that buying a battery from Apple or an authorized repair center to replace yourself isn't an option they offer (AFAIK, but then I haven't checked).

If I have to buy 4-5 different aftermarket batteries from different sellers on eBay to hopefully find a really good one, I may as well spend the extra and buy 1 Apple branded battery and know it'll be good.  Even if it means the Apple battery will only outperform the aftermarket by 1-2 hours each day for me is enough to sway me to choose that route.

Obice

CalgaryBen

@88cranston wrote:

On an iPhone SE there are NO glue strips!!!  One of the last iPhones without double face tape that needs to be heated before attempting to remove glass and digitizer. I have redone at least 8 batteries. No problem and longevity outlasted their life with me. 

I can't speak for a brand new SE (I've always bought used/refurbished), but I know when Apple replaced my iPhone SE battery last year under the battery warranty program ($29), they did put the stretch adhesive strips in.  Also, an Apple re-certified iPhone SE I have (where they replace batteries before reselling) also had the adhesive strips.  When I do the swap, I often leave the strip off (or put in a single snipped one in) to facilitate future swaps.

88cranston

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@Obice wrote:

The battery health is supposedly 86% so I don't see a need to change it. It is clearly just not worth my time or patience to bother with.

Just for additional feedback... I personally find using a phone below around 92-94% painful, because it doesn't last a full day for me!  Apple says you don't need to replace until 80%, but it really depends on your usage habits and tolerance.

Anyway, since the back of the iPhone is aluminum and a good conductor of heat/cold, and it's in direct contact with the battery, if it's cold, the battery is cold.  And when the battery is cold, its performance deteriorates.  If I'm out for a while (e.g. shoveling snow, etc.), I'll often put my phone in my jeans pockets so the back is against my body (normally, I prefer having the glass facing my body to minimize risk of shattering, etc.).  I used to use an external battery charger case which also worked well to insulate the phone and internal battery, plus charge if needed since charging warms the battery.

For Apple to replace the battery ($65+GST), is quite reasonable if you want reliability.  This will get you an authentic Apple battery with some warranty, and they'll generally replace your device if they break it during the process (rare, but it can happen) as long as it hasn't been monkeyed with.

While I know you've stated you don't have the time/patience to replace the battery yourself, I just wanted to provide some info for anybody else wanting to do this.  As others have cited, changing your battery yourself relatively easy (hardest part for me is pulling the adhesive -- think removal of 3M Command strips, but much thinner and prone to breakage -- I seem to break the strips 75% of the time).  If you can find an authentic Apple battery at/near 100%, all the better (if looking on eBay, sometimes sellers will indicate these being pulled from damaged iPhones) but they're hard to find, and unfortunately sellers overuse/misuse the words "genuine" and "OEM".  I don't believe Apple will sell you just a battery without doing the installation.

If you buy an aftermarket battery from eBay, you'll almost always end up with a battery that's less than the specified 1624 mAh (iPhone SE) that the Apple battery provides.  But at $10-15, it's an option!

I recently bought 2 aftermarket batteries from eBay, and compared to a new genuine Apple battery.  All showed 100% in the iPhone SE's Battery Health page.  All tests were performed on the same physical iPhone SE (with no cell service and all background apps terminated where possible), using an app called Geekbench 4 (current version is 5) -- it's probably the gold standard for iOS device benchmarks.  Anway it basically keeps the CPU at/near 100%, and records the battery percentage until the phone finally turns off.  It then assigns a score to the battery, which is approximately the longevity of the fully-charged battery until the phone shuts off (in minutes) X 10.  Here were my results:

iPhoneSEbatteryComparison.png

The above shows that the first new battery lasted ~102 minutes, the second new battery lasted ~130 minutes, and the genuine Apple battery lasted ~182 minutes on a full charge before the iPhone SE shut off.  Assuming the Apple battery truly has a capacity of 1624 mAh when new, the aftermarket ones had (1020/1820)*1624 mAh = 910 mAh and (1301/1820)*1624 mAh = 1161 mAh, respectively.  Both were labeled as 1624 mAh.

Anyway, just sharing some first-hand information that others may benefit from...

On an iPhone SE there are NO glue strips!!!  One of the last iPhones without double face tape that needs to be heated before attempting to remove glass and digitizer. I have redone at least 8 batteries. No problem and longevity outlasted their life with me. 

CalgaryBen

@Obice wrote:

The battery health is supposedly 86% so I don't see a need to change it. It is clearly just not worth my time or patience to bother with.

Just for additional feedback... I personally find using a phone below around 92-94% painful, because it doesn't last a full day for me!  Apple says you don't need to replace until 80%, but it really depends on your usage habits and tolerance.

Anyway, since the back of the iPhone is aluminum and a good conductor of heat/cold, and it's in direct contact with the battery, if it's cold, the battery is cold.  And when the battery is cold, its performance deteriorates.  If I'm out for a while (e.g. shoveling snow, etc.), I'll often put my phone in my jeans pockets so the back is against my body (normally, I prefer having the glass facing my body to minimize risk of shattering, etc.).  I used to use an external battery charger case which also worked well to insulate the phone and internal battery, plus charge if needed since charging warms the battery.

For Apple to replace the battery ($65+GST), is quite reasonable if you want reliability.  This will get you an authentic Apple battery with some warranty, and they'll generally replace your device if they break it during the process (rare, but it can happen) as long as it hasn't been monkeyed with.

While I know you've stated you don't have the time/patience to replace the battery yourself, I just wanted to provide some info for anybody else wanting to do this.  As others have cited, changing your battery yourself relatively easy (hardest part for me is pulling the adhesive -- think removal of 3M Command strips, but much thinner and prone to breakage -- I seem to break the strips 75% of the time).  If you can find an authentic Apple battery at/near 100%, all the better (if looking on eBay, sometimes sellers will indicate these being pulled from damaged iPhones) but they're hard to find, and unfortunately sellers overuse/misuse the words "genuine" and "OEM".  I don't believe Apple will sell you just a battery without doing the installation.

If you buy an aftermarket battery from eBay, you'll almost always end up with a battery that's less than the specified 1624 mAh (iPhone SE) that the Apple battery provides.  But at $10-15, it's an option!

I recently bought 2 aftermarket batteries from eBay, and compared to a new genuine Apple battery.  All showed 100% in the iPhone SE's Battery Health page.  All tests were performed on the same physical iPhone SE (with no cell service and all background apps terminated where possible), using an app called Geekbench 4 (current version is 5) -- it's probably the gold standard for iOS device benchmarks.  Anway it basically keeps the CPU at/near 100%, and records the battery percentage until the phone finally turns off.  It then assigns a score to the battery, which is approximately the longevity of the fully-charged battery until the phone shuts off (in minutes) X 10.  Here were my results:

iPhoneSEbatteryComparison.png

The above shows that the first new battery lasted ~102 minutes, the second new battery lasted ~130 minutes, and the genuine Apple battery lasted ~182 minutes on a full charge before the iPhone SE shut off.  Assuming the Apple battery truly has a capacity of 1624 mAh when new, the aftermarket ones had (1020/1820)*1624 mAh = 910 mAh and (1301/1820)*1624 mAh = 1161 mAh, respectively.  Both were labeled as 1624 mAh.

Anyway, just sharing some first-hand information that others may benefit from...

Obice

Oh my, quite a lot of you replying... Alright lets see if I can nail a response that answers all that.

We carry around our phones because they are mobile and because they are mobile we can carry them. I think that's the epitome of the situation. Right?

I have had many, many, many, many, so very many phones... and when it comes to problems, like it or not, they always seem to surface with Apple. I've had maybe 4 Apple products in my life and all with caveats and when I mention my experiences people just seem to hop on the bandwagon of defending the richest company in the world. Why? I could certainly speculate but I'd rather not waste both our breathes or time doing that.

Suffice it to say that I have my serious doubts I'll be buying anything Apple in the future.

If you buy something... you had better be able to use it as intended. Simple. Straight forward.

88cranston

@LitlLdy wrote:

@Obice wrote:

Hi,

So I have an iPhone SE and I noticed when in the cold weather the phone shuts down, I Googled it and found that iPhones shutting down in cold weather is actually quite common. I'm here to ask you if you are an iPhone user if you have experienced this. If you have how do you deal with it? Surely you want to take your phone outside in any weather and having your phone shut down is rather inconvenient when your phone is supposed to be there for your convenience.

Maybe put it in a warm mitten or blanket! 🤣. Sorry I could not resist. I have an iPhone to. I just haven’t been outside in the cold long enough for mine to do that yet. I shutdown in the cold!

lol. When I lived in Calgary and in 9 months of sub zero tempeartures. I don't recall ever being in the cold. Like who goes out in the cold like that????

88cranston

@Obice wrote:

Hi,

Capture.PNG

Some times I see here that folks are self inflicting themselves. So if you are will to read and take your phone out......here are some options to reduce your battery consumption. And once you are travelling...turn off wife (no no not wife....I meant Wi-Fi)....your phone keeps searching and searching. So please click or press here. 

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Obice wrote:

Hi,

Maybe put it in a warm mitten or blanket! 🤣. Sorry I could not resist. I have an iPhone to. I just haven’t been outside in the cold long enough for mine to do that yet. I shutdown in the cold!

88cranston

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Obice...I'm rockin' an iPhone SE as well. Open your Settings / Battery...it'll give you an idea of you Battery Health. In the past, I've had the phone shut down in cold weather also. I've recently changed out the battery ($75)...but haven't had any cold weather to speak of ...yet !

As suggested by @Lemony_Snicket ...perhaps the battery is the culprit.

Actually if you are a little handy you can buy and battery and tools on Ebay for $15 or so from a Canadian source. And then use the web site iFixit. I works wonderfully. And if you are in the Lower Mainland....I might just help you.  Click or Press for iFixit. 

Obice

@GinYVR wrote:

@ObiceExternal batteries only charge the internal batteries to power the phone, so the if the internal battery's capacity is falling it won't help. 3rd party battery replacement for a SE is about $30 including labour, so replacement is way better.

Fair enough... The battery health is supposedly 86% so I don't see a need to change it. It is clearly just not worth my time or patience to bother with.

@ObiceExternal batteries only charge the internal batteries to power the phone, so the if the internal battery's capacity is falling it won't help. 3rd party battery replacement for a SE is about $30 including labour, so replacement is way better.

Obice

It's a long shot, oh I know. I wonder if an extended battery/case would help remedy the situation of the internal battery failing or ceasing up - whatever the case is.

https://bit.ly/2CUlDMf (original link too long, this goes to PowerBear's website)

It doesn't have to be this particular one, this is just an example of what I could try.

Obice

I'm not sure if advertising is allowed on here, my guess is it's not or frowned upon.

I'll just say I might sell my iPhone since I'm not too caring of it and I could use the money any way, so if you're in Ontario and browse Kijiji you might find mine on there soon. Smiley Tongue

Obice

@THEnewfie wrote:

Starting this by saying that I'm NOT an iPhone user... So I could be getting your hopes up lol. 

But it's possible on an android phone to have an app running in the background to such a high enough workload that it'll make the phone produce enough heat to negate the likelihood of cold interfering with phone operation. It will drain the battery a noticeable amount faster tho.. but short of some sort of insulation I'm not sure what the best option is

An app that uses so much battery life that it heats the phone up? That must be some very power hungry app, my friend! Haha.

Jokes, I know when playing mobile games that can happen but background apps should not have that affect unless maybe there is a software bug.

Obice

@Dunkmanand @hairbag1 Yes, I have checked my battery health more than once in the past and it was at 86 the last time I checked (less than a few weeks ago).

I know this is a battery issue because I read some articles about it. I just find it funny how iPhone users will buy into a product that has such caveat as the battery itself. In my defense I bought the phone prior to knowing and perhaps it's ignorance but you can't know everything prior to getting something.

I've had others issues with the phone and that's why I have since switched back to android. If you like iOS and have the patience for Apple's shenanigans I applaud your devotion... I'd rather just use what works and has as few flaws as possible.

Need Help? Let's chat.