cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone - New and Travel

TFC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

hoping you can help please as haven't quite found the answer I need.  Spoiled, rotten me is about to head on an African safari.  I want to upgrade to the new iPhone for my camera. 

1.  Could you please tell me what are the steps to swap phones; and

2.  Can you tell me please how I could get service, if at all, whilst in Africa or will I just have to find WiFi hotspots.

Thanks!!!

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hairbag1 wrote:

@TFC wrote:

Thanks but that caution has me a bit scared.  Is there something I should do to safely protect my original card?  I'll be doing quite an adveturous trip.  For example, I assume something water and weather proof.  Also assuming I can't my fingerprints on it.   Anything else I need to know?

Remember that your cell phone is a sensitive piece of electronic equipment....costly too. Treat it with due care and caution when travelling. Free advise...don't get it wet ! Carry a few zip-lock type of bags to store the phone.

I think @Anonymous meant to carefully remove the sim from old cell phone and place it in new phone, eh.

Enjoy your trip.

@hairbag1 Yes. That was in response to Q1. You had already replied to Q2.

@TFC: unless you need to use your phone all the into the plane and then when you return after landing...maybe just leave the SIM at home.

@TFC wrote:

Thanks but that caution has me a bit scared.  Is there something I should do to safely protect my original card?  I'll be doing quite an adveturous trip.  For example, I assume something water and weather proof.  Also assuming I can't my fingerprints on it.   Anything else I need to know?

Remember that your cell phone is a sensitive piece of electronic equipment....costly too. Treat it with due care and caution when travelling. Free advise...don't get it wet ! Carry a few zip-lock type of bags to store the phone.

I think @Anonymous meant to carefully remove the sim from old cell phone and place it in new phone, eh.

Enjoy your trip.

TFC

Wow you really are a Town Hero!

Never knew of anything like Gigsky sim and it seems like it's the perfect answer.  Feeling like a dummy but becoming a quick study thanks to all the help!!!

TFC

TFC

Thanks - believe TextNow is like WhatsApp.

Appreciate the help and education 🙂

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could either buy a local sim or use Gigsky sim. If you have wi-fi then you use apps like WhatsApp, Skype, Fongo, or Textnow.

Enjoy your trip to Africa.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TFC wrote:

Hi everyone,

hoping you can help please as haven't quite found the answer I need.  Spoiled, rotten me is about to head on an African safari.  I want to upgrade to the new iPhone for my camera. 

2.  Can you tell me please how I could get service, if at all, whilst in Africa or will I just have to find WiFi hotspots.

Thanks!!!

Just carefully pull the SIM out of the old phone and carefully insert it into the new phone.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@TFC wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!!!

Public Mobile network won't work outside of Canada or USA. Pick up a local sim card in Africa...or get a voip app like TextNow, but you'll be reliant on wifi.

Safe travels.

Need Help? Let's chat.