cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 7 Plus unable to send MMS over SMS (over iMessage it works fine)

ThrZeke
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My wife's phone won't send MMS (pictures/video) over SMS.  She can send them via iMessage though.  She has an 8GB data plan.

The instructions on this page don't apply because the settings are simply not there anymore.  The only one that is there is under 'Cellular Data Network' the APN and Username/Password field are there.  None of the other settings are available to be modified though (like MMS proxy etc)

What should I be checking on her phone to get MMS over SMS to work?

7 REPLIES 7

@will13am 

51L5UEEcX7L._SX300_.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@mh1983 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@ThrZeke, are you saying that the add APN function has been blocked on your phone?  I know that android 8 had this feature affected.  Is the affected phone on android 8 and if so, try searching for an OS update.  I have also seen in the forums that some people have been able to bypass the android 8 limitation by using a Freedom Mobile SIM card in the phone.  It does not have to be an active SIM as long as it is a Freedom Mobile SIM.  The SIM unlocks the add APN function so that a Public Mobile APN can be created and be available after SIM swap. 

OP mentioned that the phone is an iPhone 7 Plus.

Oh, I feel so dumb.  I was multi tasking and totally lost my train of thought here.  Please ignore what I said. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ThrZeke wrote:

My wife's phone won't send MMS (pictures/video) over SMS.  She can send them via iMessage though.  She has an 8GB data plan.

The instructions on this page don't apply because the settings are simply not there anymore.  The only one that is there is under 'Cellular Data Network' the APN and Username/Password field are there.  None of the other settings are available to be modified though (like MMS proxy etc)

iMessage is using different protocol to send picture messages over wifi and cellular data.

User with Android will not receive the picture message sent out by iMessage protocol.  Configure your iPhone iMessage as per @ThrZeke   @Luddite's instructions in order to allow Android users to get the picture MMS.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@ThrZeke Suggest:

1. have her turn iMessage and Facetime OFF, wait 5 minutes and turn ON
  2. go to Settings >> General >> About: if a carrier update is offered install it
  3. best setup for messages: Settings >> Messages >> iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive: should show her PM phone number and Apple ID email
  4. confirm cellular data is actually working; e.g. web searches

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ThrZeke wrote:

I'm confused by "MMS over SMS". They're two different protocols. Does data work on the iPhone? if so, MMS should work. if not, you might want to Google some iPhone troubleshooting articles around this subject. a drastic measure is to factory reset the phone but that usually clears up cobwebs.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

@ThrZeke, are you saying that the add APN function has been blocked on your phone?  I know that android 8 had this feature affected.  Is the affected phone on android 8 and if so, try searching for an OS update.  I have also seen in the forums that some people have been able to bypass the android 8 limitation by using a Freedom Mobile SIM card in the phone.  It does not have to be an active SIM as long as it is a Freedom Mobile SIM.  The SIM unlocks the add APN function so that a Public Mobile APN can be created and be available after SIM swap. 

OP mentioned that the phone is an iPhone 7 Plus.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Need Help? Let's chat.