cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6s Telus locked

quikbeam
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Will a telus locked iPhone work with Public Mobile?  Do I need to do anything more than inserting the SIM card?

11 REPLIES 11

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
How hard is it after? I have a 6 that I gave to my girlfriends daughter locked to Koodo but it's been with pm for awhile

@Rockdaddy22 most carriers also charge a much higher fee to a non-client

jimmyche
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You are right for all phone except the iphone. For iphone it's a lot more expensive.

@trshtup wrote:

As everyone says, it should work...if not, or if you just want to unlock it anyway, it's a pretty easy and cheap endevour - I used cell unlocker.net for my Bell phone and it worked great and cost around $10.  A unlocked phone would be helpful if you were ever to travel outside North America and don't have a roaming option with PM; you could buy a cheap SIM card from a carrier opperating in whatever country you're in and use it to replace your PM SIM while you're there.  Hope this helps.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
My personal iPhone 7 is unlocked, but I was just curious.

trshtup

As everyone says, it should work...if not, or if you just want to unlock it anyway, it's a pretty easy and cheap endevour - I used cell unlocker.net for my Bell phone and it worked great and cost around $10.  A unlocked phone would be helpful if you were ever to travel outside North America and don't have a roaming option with PM; you could buy a cheap SIM card from a carrier opperating in whatever country you're in and use it to replace your PM SIM while you're there.  Hope this helps.

Rockdaddy22
What's happens if I walk into a Koodo store and try and get it done? I need to be a customer I guess?

jimmyche

@Rockdaddy22

There are two routes to unlock your iphone:

1. Have a friend or family member who's still on Telus and/or Koodo to unlock the phone for you. Have them call 611 and quote the phone's IMEI.   $35 or $50, I am not 100% up to date on telus' price. I recently paid Bell $50 to unlock mine.

2. 3rd party unlocker such as canada unlocking dot com wants ~$79.99 for unlocking an iphone from Telus/Koodo. my biggest concern is I am not sure how legit is the process.

Apple has a database of all of the Iphone and this database determines rather an iphone is locked or unlocked. Once you've paid the carrier the unlocking fee, they will then update the data base mark your iphone is unlocked. This happanes instaneously. As to the 3rd party unlocker, there's probably some back door that they are able to expolit which is beyong my understanding.

Rockdaddy22
How hard is it after? I have a 6 that I gave to my girlfriends daughter locked to Koodo but it's been with pm for awhile

asimba

Agreed with @jimmyche

iPhone unlocks are more $$ outside of main carriers. Seems to be the exception with iPhones.

@jimmyche wrote:

@quikbeam

While a Telus locked Iphone will work with Public mobile, you should consider unlocking your iphone with Telus first before porting to Public mobile for the following reason:

1. Once you have left Telus, it will become more diffuclt for you to have the i-phone unlock.

2. At the moment, unlocking iphone thru service provider (Telus in the case) is the cheapest and safest option.
3. An unlocked phone gives you better roaming flexibility, as you can then use almost any local sim in other countries.

Please bravo and/or mark as solution if this helps you.

jimmyche

@quikbeam

While a Telus locked Iphone will work with Public mobile, you should consider unlocking your iphone with Telus first before porting to Public mobile for the following reason:

1. Once you have left Telus, it will become more diffuclt for you to have the i-phone unlock.

2. At the moment, unlocking iphone thru service provider (Telus in the case) is the cheapest and safest option.
3. An unlocked phone gives you better roaming flexibility, as you can then use almost any local sim in other countries.

Please bravo and/or mark as solution if this helps you.

mimmo

telus and Koodo phones should be fine and dont bneed to be unlocked

asimba

That should be fine. Telus/Koodo-locked phones work on PM. You should be good to go inserting the PM SIM.

Need Help? Let's chat.