cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5 - SIM card not supported

inked_koi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I setup my account and activated my SIM card yesterday and was met with the following error:

"The SIM card you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. 

Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier"

• My phone is unlocked, it was bought outright.
  • It is not attached to another other carrier at this moment.
  • Public Mobile is showing under General > About >Carrier: Public Mobile 28.3.
  • If I put in an old SIM card from PC mobile it works. But when I switch it out back to Public Mobile, I am met with that error.
12 REPLIES 12

@jayfolks 

This thread's from a very long time ago Is "please activate" advice for somebody or you asking for help?

jayfolks

please activate

@Lugasan04If you had gotten your phone from overseas, you could pay for unlocking services to do it. However do note because the age of your phone, you will need to connect it to a computer with iTunes installed in order to complete the unlocking process (whether it is a provider unlocking it for you, or a 3rd party unlocking service).

Sounds like your phone maybe locked.  Did you switch from another provider ?  if so then you would need to contact them to unlock it.

Lugasan04

how to open my phone

Lugasan04

my iphone not supported sim card

@inked_koi wrote:

I setup my account and activated my SIM card yesterday and was met with the following error:

"The SIM card you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. 

Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier"

• My phone is unlocked, it was bought outright.
  • It is not attached to another other carrier at this moment.
  • Public Mobile is showing under General > About >Carrier: Public Mobile 28.3.
  • If I put in an old SIM card from PC mobile it works. But when I switch it out back to Public Mobile, I am met with that error.

You may have bought your phone outright, but for whatever reason, your phone is locked to a carrier other than Telus.  It's possible that there's some type of error in Apple's database, but as it stands now, your phone is not unlocked - sorry.  The lock is likely to Bell as you mentioned PC Mobile earlier (PC Mobile has both Bell or Telus services depending on prepaid/postpaid).   You will have to get the phone unlocked before you can use it on Public Mobile.

Fortunately, carriers in Canada unlock phones for free now.

If you purchased this phone as factory unlocked directly from Apple, contact Apple to get this rectified.  If you purcahsed this phone as a Bell device (whether outright or not), from either Apple or a Bell retailer/authorized dealer, contact Bell Mobility to get this device unlocked.

Andy1000
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Your phone is locked.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Real quick search but I've read:

• Some unlocked iPhones will lock themselves to the first SIM's network inserted - seems to depend on where exactly the phone was purchased from ie. purchased directly from Apple, directly from carrier, etc.
  • You must sync with iTunes before changing SIMs

As usual, lots of "no it doesn't, that's wrong, worked for me, etc" so just throwing these out there.

Are you able to check your PM SIM in another unlocked phone? Or a non-PM, non-PC Mobile SIM in your iPhone?

@inked_koi Just occurred to me: where did you buy the phone?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Additional ideas:

a) reboot the phone

b) did you request a port-in of your PC Mobile number?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

To make sure your sim is good and if it was successfully activated, try it in other unlocked phone and see if it works. If it does, something is wrong with your iPhone 5. 

Need Help? Let's chat.