cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2: MMS pix not working (but cell data fine)

PDub
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is it possible to send/receive MMS pic messages on iPhone 4 running iOS 7.1.2?

The phone DOES have cellular data and it can send and receive text-only MMS and iMessages, but it cannot send or receive MMS messages with pictures. Can this be fixed with PM or am I out of luck? I spent an hour last night combing through this forum, but didn’t find an answer. The phone was unlocked via unlockit in New Zealand.

BTW, I am aware of the updates that were announced in February as described here but this does not apply to the i4 with 7.1.2, because the setting options do not appear on my phone. The only option is to change the APN settings, which I have done and which did activate cell data.

I’ll try to post some screenshots later today to clarify what’s going on, but again, I'm only interested in MMS picture messaging.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Yes, I have had situations with iOS becoming outdated for services I wanted. Have yet to try jailbreaking, but suspect the processor/memory in iPhone may gag on iOS 8. If you try it and can get MMS working please post the procedure and mark as "solution" for others to find.

I found this reference to 4 vs 4s: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/iphone/iphone-faq/differences-between-iphone-4s-iphone-4.html

getorchard.com has a refurb 4s for $135; locked Telus but that is compatible with PM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

PDub
Yeah, it looks like the only way to do this would be -- maybe -- to JB the phone (io8 can't be loaded onto i4), or perhaps if unlockit or a carrier would encode the MMS settings behind the GUI. Either way, no easy fix that I've been able to find.

While MMS does not require a data plan, data must be turned on and the APN settings correct. iOS 8 is, I believe, the lowest OS that gives access to manually setting APN. Sorry, no idea what you can do.

Just found this thread: Using an Iphone 4s and did carrier update and system update now I can't send pictures again. Seems iOS 8 is needed.

PDub

Luddite, thanks for the response. I already have the APN setting, which made it possible for me to activate cell data. Unfortunately, there is no setting in my i4 called "MMS Options" -- it simply doesn't appear.

It's starting to look like there might not be a solution as currently configured. Which makes me wonder whether it would be possible to upgrade to the lowest iOS release that would allow the MMS settings to be modified (not sure if old iOS versions can be installed). That, or possibly JB it. Or, get all my non-iphone friends to start using WhatsApp.

Is there anything else I should be checking?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@PDub You will find a procedure for setting APN on an iPhone 4/4s here: Help needed setting up APN in iphone 4s?

Let us know how you make out.

Need Help? Let's chat.