cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage and SMS

bcsl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I recently signed up to PM. All's good except for SMS. When attempting to send a text with Messages to another iPhone, it'll only send if I'm connected to WiFi. If I'm not connected to WiFi, it'll not send. In other words, it doesn't default to SMS when no WiFi connection is available. However, when I subsequently connect to WiFi, the recipient will recieve the message twice. 

"Send as SMS" is enabled in Settings > Messages. I've tried toggling Messages off and on and have also reset the network settings.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

emdash
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm an iPhone user and I take advantage of iMessage whenever possible. And yes, there's the odd situation where I need to send an actual text to somebody who also owns an iPhone because I'm away from Wi-Fi.

Perhaps you've already tried this. But this is how the process goes for me:

1. Write text.
  2. Tap Send.
  3. Hold bubble for a moment, then tap "Send as text message" in the menu that appears.

Note that this does not work if the iMessage has already been delivered, in case you're practising at home on Wi-Fi.

@CalgaryBen, I am not a current iPhone user, and I only use iMessage on my iPad with one contact, as until recently they didn’t have an iPhone, but had a cellular iPadAir.

We still don’t share cell numbers.  But I thought hey, what the heck, so I suggested it.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker wrote:

Try this process, direct from the Apple selfserve website:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

It is worth noting that this procedure is useful for addressing issues where other people are sending you messages via iMessage, when you don't want them to.  I don't see any applicability in the current issue, where outbound messages are being blocked under certain circumstances.

CalgaryBen

@bcsl wrote:

Hi, I recently signed up to PM. All's good except for SMS. When attempting to send a text with Messages to another iPhone, it'll only send if I'm connected to WiFi. If I'm not connected to WiFi, it'll not send.

Which iPhone, and what version of iOS?  Are you able to use cellular data for other things (browsing in Safari, etc.)?

smp99

What plan are you on - specifically does your plan include some Data. 

If it does, check your APN settings

If it does not, you  will need to tell iMessage to only use SMS. I forget the exact steps, but let's answer the above question first

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Tagging @CalgaryBen and @Luddite for thier iOS expertise....  any suggestions, gents?  Looks like the usual troubleshooting of iMessage settings has been performed already.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Try this process, direct from the Apple selfserve website:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Pretend you do not have your iPhone.

AprilRoberts

It could be an issue with your Apple ID I had this happen to me I had to contact customer support line to resolve it before my phone would allow me to send msg I would call support they can diagnose the issue and then guide you through the way to correct the problem with easy step by step instructions 

bcsl

@Dunkman wrote:

@bcsl

Part 1:

imessage can sent to/from Apple ID or a phone number. To do what you described you should be using your phone number, not your Apple ID.

• Go to Settings> Messages> Send & Receive

Your settings should be:

• Can be reached by imessage at: Phone Number
  • Start new conversations from: Phone Number

Part 2:

Turn on Send as SMS

• Go to Settings> Messages

Explanation:

If you're sending/receiving imessages to/from your apple ID, and not a phone number, you can't send as SMS. 

Also, the phone number used here is taken from  Settings>Phone>My Number. If you changed your phone number, sometimes this section doesn't populate your new number, and would then still send imessages from your old number. Same thing goes for FaceTime.

Thanks, but those settings are already as they should be. 

bcsl

Thanks, but I’ve already tried that. 

@bcsl

Part 1:

imessage can sent to/from Apple ID or a phone number. To do what you described you should be using your phone number, not your Apple ID.

• Go to Settings> Messages> Send & Receive

Your settings should be:

• Can be reached by imessage at: Phone Number
  • Start new conversations from: Phone Number

Part 2:

Turn on Send as SMS

• Go to Settings> Messages

Explanation:

If you're sending/receiving imessages to/from your apple ID, and not a phone number, you can't send as SMS. 

Also, the phone number used here is taken from  Settings>Phone>My Number. If you changed your phone number, sometimes this section doesn't populate your new number, and would then still send imessages from your old number. Same thing goes for FaceTime.

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Try the following:

• Connect to the internet using WiFi or Data
  • Go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage OFF
  • Turn your iPhone off completely, then turn it back on
  • Go back into Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage ON
  • Make sure “Send as SMS” is also turned ON

bcsl

Yes, the phone has been rebooted and, yes, it is activated (texts can be sent to non-iPhone/Messages users). 

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Have you tried rebooting the phone?

If that doesn't work you may want to contact the mods to see if the number has been successfully activated. 

Need Help? Let's chat.