cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage and FaceTime will not activate on my iPhone

paulmc033
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I called Apple Support and tried everything they suggested to no avail.  They suggested I check with my cellular provider.  So here I am!

22 REPLIES 22

Ava03
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am having this same issue tried everything. Can anyone help me? 

porkchopbread

I had a problem with my iPhone 5 a few years ago. iMessage wouldn’t work and neither did FaceTime. Annoying. I didn’t change networks or anything. I don’t know if it was compounded by the fact I was using my profile on my MacBook as well because I couldn’t iMessage there anymore either. Backed up phone and restored it from an earlier save and the phone worked again but my MacBook till this day is finicky with my profile. FaceTime works but iMessage only works for select contacts and messages don’t sync properly on phone and MacBook (ie even though it’s read on my phone it still says unread on Mac). I’ve since upgraded my iPhone. Haven’t had that problem since. So try restoring from a back up and reset everything to see if it works. 

paulmc033

Okay, so at least the device is sending message to home base as it should.  Yes, you'll often see these messages when you disable/re-enable iMessage, so at least all of that is working.  Thanks for carrying that out and checking.  We can at least cross off any issue with your plan (and unfortunately Apple's advice to "contact your cellular provider" isn't quite the right route).

At this point I would speculate that the Apple ID is "mangled" or things are out of sync.  Apple recommends logging out of iMessage and FaceTime, changing the Apple ID password, and then logging back into iMessage/FaceTime with the updated Apple ID password.  Ref: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201349#help

Since you contacted Apple, hopefully they asked you to do that, but if not, then please give it a try.  If that fails, I actually think it's something wrong with your Apple ID (and unfortunately only something Apple would have visibility into and could reset/fix).

One other thing to try would be Settings --> General, and then scroll down to the bottom.  Hopefully no entries/connections under VPN, and no Network Profiles -- if there are any, then delete/remove them.  If you have a "questionable" entry here, it could be interfering with your logins (I've never seen something that deliberately affects logins, but it's conceivable that this could be present).

I changed the password for the secoind time.  No go.  I guess I'll try Apple again.  😞

Thanks for your suggestions.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@paulmc033 wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions.  I did the thing with the old SIM card and the usage history did in fact show a text to 474663.  There were actually a number of these texts over the last few days which I guess I triggered when trying to activate iMessage?  It still just says Waiting for activation in the Messages screen.  I don't seem to be any further ahead.

Okay, so at least the device is sending message to home base as it should.  Yes, you'll often see these messages when you disable/re-enable iMessage, so at least all of that is working.  Thanks for carrying that out and checking.  We can at least cross off any issue with your plan (and unfortunately Apple's advice to "contact your cellular provider" isn't quite the right route).

At this point I would speculate that the Apple ID is "mangled" or things are out of sync.  Apple recommends logging out of iMessage and FaceTime, changing the Apple ID password, and then logging back into iMessage/FaceTime with the updated Apple ID password.  Ref: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201349#help

Since you contacted Apple, hopefully they asked you to do that, but if not, then please give it a try.  If that fails, I actually think it's something wrong with your Apple ID (and unfortunately only something Apple would have visibility into and could reset/fix).

One other thing to try would be Settings --> General, and then scroll down to the bottom.  Hopefully no entries/connections under VPN, and no Network Profiles -- if there are any, then delete/remove them.  If you have a "questionable" entry here, it could be interfering with your logins (I've never seen something that deliberately affects logins, but it's conceivable that this could be present).

paulmc033

@stonechucker wrote:

Paul, I believe you said this happened recently, and the iPhone has been used since sometime previously with Public Mobile, and there was no issue at that time.  Is this correct?

If is not the case, there could be a chance you’re on a Canadawide texting plan, and not an international plan.  But un that case it would need to be an old plan of about 3 yrs or more.

I checked.  It's an international plan.

paulmc033

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@paulmc033 wrote:

Yes it is unlimited text and calling.  I'm not sure what you mean by the "SMS messages to 474663" stuff.  No the SIM card has not been moved around since it has been activated last June/July.

Okay.  Don't worry about the SMS messages to 474663... (but I'll explain it just for reference -- when the iPhone reads a SIM card's ICC ID and it does not match the previously remembered SIM (e.g. when you're activating a new SIM), it will send out a few text messages to Apple's servers at short code 474663, basically to register itself for iMessage and FaceTime; I was asking about seeing these, but it wouldn't have been relevant in your case since the "Usage History" section of the Self-Serve portal only goes back 90 days, and not the ~10 months that would be required for you to go that far back.)

@paulmc033 wrote:

None of this stuff fixed my problem.

This is actually my wife's phone.  I do have another old iPhone that I guess I could try her Sim Card in.  It would have my Apple ID, and I don't know if it's "unlocked".

If you have ANY spare SIM card (doesn't even have to be active -- in fact an old/deactivated SIM would be preferrable), you could insert that into your wife's iPhone (while it's turned on), just so the iPhone "remembers" the ICC ID.  Ensure the carrier field shows the carrier name (or "No Service" if it's inactive) and not "No SIM", and then remove it.  Re-insert her original Public Mobile SIM card.  The iPhone will see the ICC ID doesn't match the previous one, and this will invoke at least one SMS to 474663 which you should see showing up in your Usage History.

With any luck, this may also have the effect of re-registering/activating iMessage/FaceTime using the normal activation process for a phone number.  I'm speculating somehow, for some reason, your wife's Apple ID lost the associated phone number somehow, and it's been unable to re-establish this automatically; I'm hoping this procedure will manually force the association.

Thanks for your suggestions.  I did the thing with the old SIM card and the usage history did in fact show a text to 474663.  There were actually a number of these texts over the last few days which I guess I triggered when trying to activate iMessage?  It still just says Waiting for activation in the Messages screen.  I don't seem to be any further ahead.

Paul, I believe you said this happened recently, and the iPhone has been used since sometime previously with Public Mobile, and there was no issue at that time.  Is this correct?

If is not the case, there could be a chance you’re on a Canadawide texting plan, and not an international plan.  But un that case it would need to be an old plan of about 3 yrs or more.

CalgaryBen

@paulmc033 wrote:

Yes it is unlimited text and calling.  I'm not sure what you mean by the "SMS messages to 474663" stuff.  No the SIM card has not been moved around since it has been activated last June/July.

Okay.  Don't worry about the SMS messages to 474663... (but I'll explain it just for reference -- when the iPhone reads a SIM card's ICC ID and it does not match the previously remembered SIM (e.g. when you're activating a new SIM), it will send out a few text messages to Apple's servers at short code 474663, basically to register itself for iMessage and FaceTime; I was asking about seeing these, but it wouldn't have been relevant in your case since the "Usage History" section of the Self-Serve portal only goes back 90 days, and not the ~10 months that would be required for you to go that far back.)

@paulmc033 wrote:

None of this stuff fixed my problem.

This is actually my wife's phone.  I do have another old iPhone that I guess I could try her Sim Card in.  It would have my Apple ID, and I don't know if it's "unlocked".

If you have ANY spare SIM card (doesn't even have to be active -- in fact an old/deactivated SIM would be preferrable), you could insert that into your wife's iPhone (while it's turned on), just so the iPhone "remembers" the ICC ID.  Ensure the carrier field shows the carrier name (or "No Service" if it's inactive) and not "No SIM", and then remove it.  Re-insert her original Public Mobile SIM card.  The iPhone will see the ICC ID doesn't match the previous one, and this will invoke at least one SMS to 474663 which you should see showing up in your Usage History.

With any luck, this may also have the effect of re-registering/activating iMessage/FaceTime using the normal activation process for a phone number.  I'm speculating somehow, for some reason, your wife's Apple ID lost the associated phone number somehow, and it's been unable to re-establish this automatically; I'm hoping this procedure will manually force the association.

paulmc033

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@paulmc033 wrote:

I called Apple Support and tried everything they suggested to no avail.  They suggested I check with my cellular provider.  So here I am!

What plan do you have on PM?  Does it have unlimited texts (I'm asking because the activation requires a plan that will allow it to send a few SMS messages to 474663 (and seeing if you have any SMS to this destination at any time in history may indicate whether there's been a successful activation).  Did your SIM card get inserted into a different iPhone recently, or did you have someone else's SIM card inserted into your iPhone?

Go to Settings --> Messages, and ensure your iMessage is enabled, then scroll down to Send & Receive.  If you tap on your Apple ID and then Sign Out, you should see "YOU CAN RECEIVE IMESSAGES TO AND REPLY FROM" with only your own phone number.  If it it remains with a spinning progress indicator instead of a checkmark, I'd guess that it can't activate for some reason.  At this point you can sign back in by tapping "Use your Apple ID for iMessage"  and log in.  Once signed in, adjust settings (for example I like to ensure I "START NEW CONVERSATIONS FROM" my phone number only).

Similarly with FaceTime, you may want to go in and tap the Apple ID line  and Sign Out, check to see that your number shows up and is selected under "YOU CAN BE REACHED BY FACETIME AT" and "CALLER ID", and then sign back in and adjust settings.

If you have access to another unlocked iPhone (preferrably your own, so someone else's Apple ID isn't logged in), you may want to try inserting your SIM card in that, and then pop the SIM back into your main iPhone.

None of this stuff fixed my problem.  Quite often I don't even see the Send & Receive section under Settings/Messages.  When I did, I tried "tap on your Apple ID and then Sign Out".  It did nothing.  I went out to the main Messages screen and tapped "Use your Apple ID for iMessage"  and log in.  When I went back into the Send & Receive, there was a spinning circle on phone number and a checkmark on Apple ID.  At some point I tried turning off the phone and turning it back on.  Now under messages, there is no section for Send & Receive.  I can tap "Use your Apple ID for iMessage" and Log in, but it does nothing.

Thanks,

Paul

paulmc033

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@paulmc033 wrote:

What plan do you have on PM?  Does it have unlimited texts (I'm asking because the activation requires a plan that will allow it to send a few SMS messages to 474663 (and seeing if you have any SMS to this destination at any time in history may indicate whether there's been a successful activation).  Did your SIM card get inserted into a different iPhone recently, or did you have someone else's SIM card inserted into your iPhone?

Go to Settings --> Messages, and ensure your iMessage is enabled, then scroll down to Send & Receive.  If you tap on your Apple ID and then Sign Out, you should see "YOU CAN RECEIVE IMESSAGES TO AND REPLY FROM" with only your own phone number.  If it it remains with a spinning progress indicator instead of a checkmark, I'd guess that it can't activate for some reason.  At this point you can sign back in by tapping "Use your Apple ID for iMessage"  and log in.  Once signed in, adjust settings (for example I like to ensure I "START NEW CONVERSATIONS FROM" my phone number only).

Similarly with FaceTime, you may want to go in and tap the Apple ID line  and Sign Out, check to see that your number shows up and is selected under "YOU CAN BE REACHED BY FACETIME AT" and "CALLER ID", and then sign back in and adjust settings.

If you have access to another unlocked iPhone (preferrably your own, so someone else's Apple ID isn't logged in), you may want to try inserting your SIM card in that, and then pop the SIM back into your main iPhone.

I'll take a look at the other stuff you suggested and see if there is anyhting there that might resolves the issue.

Thanks!

CalgaryBen

@paulmc033 wrote:

tony7
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@paulmc033 wrote:

Is your phone on an active plan with text and talk? Might be the case if you don't have enough topuped on your plan.

@paulmc033 did you go in SETTINGS and in APPLE ID and in NAME,PHONE NUMBERS,EMAIL....you will see CONTACTABLE AT...your email (Apple ID) and your phone number (Imessage and facetime number) and you can EDIT this section....Maybe it can help...

paulmc033

@Dunkman wrote:

@paulmc033 

Other things that I can think of....

Toggle off Facetime and iMessage..  Wait a few minutes, then Toggle on.

Not sure if you can do an IOS update

Factory reset (make sure to backup iphone first)

I tried the toggling thing multiple times over the last week.  The IOS is fully up to date and I did a factory reset clearing the iphone and restored it from backup.  None of that made a difference unfortunately.

Metal1967

@paulmc033 

Last resort when all else fails...buy an android..lol😀😀

@paulmc033 

Other things that I can think of....

Toggle off Facetime and iMessage..  Wait a few minutes, then Toggle on.

Not sure if you can do an IOS update

Factory reset (make sure to backup iphone first)

paulmc033

Hi 819cookie,

No, this phone has been on Public Mobile since last summer.  Suddenly people noticed that my texts had my email address at the top of them.

paulmc033

Thanks, Dunkman.  I tried them already.  Interesting note... under "YOU CAN RECEIVE IMESSAGES TO AND REPLY FROM" section, the email (apple id) is checked.  It will not allow me to successfully check the phone number.  It just shows the spinning circle where I'd like the check mark to appear!

@paulmc033 

Calgary Ben is our resident apple expert, but not sure when he can chime in....

Here are a few things to try (if not done already):

Reboot your phone

Network reset

Under settings for Facetime and iMessage,

You can be reached by Facetiome/iMessage - choose both phone number and email

819cookie

Did this happen right after you switched to Public Mobile?

Please let me know. 

paulmc033

I'll take any help I can get at this point!

Thanks!

Metal1967

@paulmc033 wrote:

@paulmc033 

@CalgaryBen will probably notice and help you...😀

Need Help? Let's chat.