cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i want to downgrade to a flip phone (dumb phone). can i buy any unlocked flip phone?

hhennaoui
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

thanks

11 REPLIES 11

David
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Nice!

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Yeah for $29 or $39 with a 2 year warranty is a steal for that phone. Not so much at the regular price of $59 or $69

Martin
Legend
Legend
David,

The A392A was the only Alcatel model that I was considering when customers on the old network had to choose a new phone. It definitely had a 2-year warranty.

David
@Martin

I think it does, but my memory's not clear on this. Historically, though, Alcatel has been known to offer 2yr warranties on some of its models, so it wouldn't be such a stretch if the OneTouch A392a was one of them.

Martin
Legend
Legend
David,

If memory serves me correctly, the Alcatel comes with a 2 year warranty, instead of the usual 1 year.

Martin
Legend
Legend
benwarez,

There is an LG 230 on sale at Walmart for about $50, though locked to Virgin Mobile. With an unlock code from eBay, costing a few dollars, the phone might be what the poster is seeking.

David

The Alcatel A392a (Telus prepaid) is often on sale at FutureShop/BestBuy for around $29/$39.  At these prices, it's a steal.  I bought 5 in all for relatives and they all work as expected.  Of course, it's a flip phone, don't expect it to do miracles, but for the price (when on sale), it's hard to beat.  It's also got a rather long reach when opened up, so the microphone will actually be near your mouth and people will hear you clearly.  No need to unlock either as it's from Telus.

benwarez
The best Flip phone I ever used was the LG GB-255G, I saw one advertised on ebay 3 days ago

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
^to add to what Martin said make sure not to confuse UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA 850 & 1900Mhz with GSM 850 &1900Mhz. They are two different things

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello again,

The above reply did not address ANY.

To be compatible with the PM/Koodo/Telus network, it must be UMTS/WCDMA capable, and operate on the 3G 850 MHz and 1900 MHz frequencies.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Yes, it's possible to purchase an unlocked flip phone.

You can try Staples, Future Shop, Best Buy, Walmart, and Costco.

If none of the above has an unlocked phone to your liking, you can buy an unlock code from eBay for a few dollars.

If you buy a phone, remember to review your plan's details. You may be paying for features that you may not want with a flip phone.
Need Help? Let's chat.