cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

got a new phone and im a current public customer

kempy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got a new phone. I want my same number and the new phone will work with public. do i need a new sim card or can i use my old one?

22 REPLIES 22

Stormy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You don't need to make a new account to use the new SIM card, all you have to do is this,

simcard.jpg

Jessica_T
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@kempy wrote:

ok so this is what happened to me. old sim wont go on new phone which is fine so i get a new small sim which does fit to the new phone. I went to my account and i cant call ppl or recieve texts so im like ok maybe i will just set up a new account and get a new number well guess what it says the sim is invalied now since it is registered on my account since i did that like come on it shouldnt be this hard. Also i tried 611 on my brothers phone and no options on this matter could someome please help me

@kempyTry restarting your phone with the new sim card installed.

If that does not fix it, try this 1.  Report your phone lost/stolen in the self service account and logout.  Wait 5-10 minutes.  Re-login and report phone found.  Reboot your phone.  This seems to reset your SIM card and hopefully activates your plan/account.  

kempy

ok so this is what happened to me. old sim wont go on new phone which is fine so i get a new small sim which does fit to the new phone. I went to my account and i cant call ppl or recieve texts so im like ok maybe i will just set up a new account and get a new number well guess what it says the sim is invalied now since it is registered on my account since i did that like come on it shouldnt be this hard. Also i tried 611 on my brothers phone and no options on this matter could someome please help me

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Wouldn't recommend a cutter or a separate adapter. Would just get a fresh new SIM card to be on the safe side.

CalgaryBen

@kempy wrote:

I got a new phone. I want my same number and the new phone will work with public. do i need a new sim card or can i use my old one?

If your micro SIM is of the older vintage and doesn't punch out into a nano SIM, the obvious easy solution is to buy a tri-sized replacement SIM card.

You can also cut the micro SIM down to a nano SIM if you're careful and handy with an X-acto knife, and perhaps a flat file or sandpaper.  I've successfully done this.

You can also buy nano SIM cutters (somewhat resembles a paper punch) to cut the SIM card down.  But if you're spending money doing this, you'd probably want to just buy a replacement SIM card.  Or perhaps a cell phone retailer/repair kiosk would have one and could do it...?

Jessica_T

@RobinS wrote:

Do I have to activate the new sim that I have just put on my account?

@RobinSWow. Robin S I loved your music in the 90's. About your SIM as long as its been registered to an active account it is good to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X3YpXiI5dM

Carld123

@RobinS

If the sim was active...and your new phone is compatible...put it in and carry on....

RobinS

Do I have to activate the new sim that I have just put on my account?

Carld123

@kempy

Your hired...lol...welcome to the community..😀

Jessica_T

@kempy wrote:

I know the difference between micro sd card and sim card. my current phone is the GT-s7560m my old one with the orignal sim card. its quite big and its a public sim card

@kempy wrote:

i do have a micro sd card from public mobile

@kempyYou mentioned having a "micro sd card from public mobile" but public mobile doesn't sell phones or sd cards so I had to make sure since you are confused about something.

It is very likely you can push out the small sim card from your big one. If you can't you have to go to the store and buy a new one for $10, then using self serve change the account to the new sim card.

kempy

I know the difference between micro sd card and sim card. my current phone is the GT-s7560m my old one with the orignal sim card. its quite big and its a public sim card

Carld123

@Jessica_T

Made you look...lol.. 😀😀😃

Jessica_T

@kempy wrote:

ok so my old sim card wont fit and i do have a micro sd card from public mobile. what do i do to keep my phone number and what not>?

@kempyIs the old sim card too big, or too small? What phone model did you have before, and what kind of model phone do you have now? Microsd is not the sim card, thats a different memory card. You may be confusing the sim and sd card. They are 2 different things. You can always go to the store, buy a new one for $10, log into self-serve and switch over your current plan to the new sim card.

This is a sim card

public-04-1.jpg

This is a Micro Sd Memory card

45803-microsd_teaser.jpg

Carld123

@kempy

Are you saying the public mobile sim wont fit your phone? As metioned by @Jessica_T they come as a triple punch format...so one hasto fit

Jessica_T

@Carld123 wrote:

@Jessica_T

All in fun here...but ive noticed you do alot of research....off topic.. I need to know..how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood...? There must be an answer..lol😀

@Carld123700Lbs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_much_wood_would_a_woodchuck_chuck

A traditional, if nonsensical, "response" to the question is: "A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood".[5] Other—similarly unhelpful—responses include "So much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood!" and "He would chuck, he would, as much as he could, and chuck as much wood as a woodchuck would if a woodchuck could chuck wood."[6]

A 1957 Associated Press piece refers to the question as "a riddle which beats the Sphinx, since it's still unanswered".[7] A more concrete answer was published by the Associated Press in 1988, which reported that a New York fish and wildlife technician named Richard Thomas had calculated the volume of dirt in a typical 25–30-foot (7.6–9.1 m) long woodchuck burrow and had determined that if the woodchuck had moved an equivalent volume of wood, it could move "about 700 pounds (320 kg) on a good day, with the wind at his back".[8][9] Another study, which considered "chuck" to be the opposite of upchucking, determined that a woodchuck could ingest 361.9237001 cm3 (22.08593926 cu in)[10] of wood per day.[11]

Another proposed response comes from the parody-filled video game Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, where the protagonist asks a carpenter the question and gets the response: "A woodchuck would chuck no amount of wood since a woodchuck can't chuck wood."[12]

kempy

ok so my old sim card wont fit and i do have a micro sd card from public mobile. what do i do to keep my phone number and what not>?

Carld123

@Jessica_T

All in fun here...but ive noticed you do alot of research....off topic.. I need to know..how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood...? There must be an answer..lol😀

Jessica_T

@Carld123 wrote:

@Chanah

If it fits...and the phone is compatible...you sure can....

@Carld123I did a little bit of research and found that most sim cards from public mobile are what they call "triple punch" which is 3 different sizes in 1. If its too small you can use the piece that came with the card to upsize it. If you lost it you should be able to ask any cell phone retailer nicely as all of them are the same size and all new phones used the smallest size so there in an abundance and toss them on a regular basis. This case is unlikely due to new phones use the smallest size. In the case it is too big you can push the smaller sim card out on the dotted/pre-cut line.

Carld123

@Chanah

Sorry...didnt read the previous messages...yes im lazy..lol

Carld123

@Chanah

If it fits...and the phone is compatible...you sure can....

Chanah
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Provided both phones use the same size SIM card, you can use the old one.

Jessica_T

@kempy wrote:

@kempyAll you need to do is take the sim out of your old phone and put it in your new phone. No need to buy or do anything to your account as long as the new phone is compatible everything will just work.

Need Help? Let's chat.