cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

#googlepixel pros and cons

alejandra75
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello Community members, my handset stopped working during the night thankfully I have an antique Samsung S5 that I am trying to use now, I am in the process of getting a new handset and wondering if any of you have a Google Pixel phone, what do you like and what don't you like with this handset? TIA.

9 REPLIES 9

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@alejandra75 which particular model are you looking at, out of curiosity?  Are you planning to buy brand new or second hand?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Thanks for tagging me @srlawren, I'm happy to give my opinion here.

ive been a fan of the stock Android phones since the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.  The Nexus line of phones were all stock Android, and updates came fast and often.  I hade that Galaxy Nexus, the the Nexus 5 by LG, and now the Pixel 3a.

i did not jump on the Pixel 1 or 2, as they are, and still are overpriced for my budget.  There were issues at launch with the Pixel 3, and still overpriced for me.  But when I heard about the lower cost 3a, I immediately jumped on board, replacing a subpar 1 year old LG q6 when I couldn't find a device I wanted in my price range.

I hate manufacturer bloat on on my device.  The Samsung GUIs, the non-Android asssistants, and the other such and such-pay options.

i don't need a flagship phone, but the 3a when released was a reduced version of the Pixel 3, same main rear camera without the widescreen lens, an aluminum body, and no wireless charging.  I'm not into photography all that much, but I have a separate DSLR of my own, glass backed phones are accidents waiting to happen,, and although handy, wireless charging is handy, it's slower than using wired options.

I love my Pixel 3a.

srlawren

@alejandra75 I forgot to mention that the brand-new Pixel 4 and 4 XL have a major con which is battery life.  More here:  https://youtu.be/Vi1c_s5xYHw

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

alejandra75

thanks for the heads up @GinYVR  

@alejandra75Just don't get Pixel 1 or 2.. those have bunch of lawsuits and settlements due to design issues.. they are covered in the US but in Canada you are SOL.

alejandra75

Thank you so much!

srlawren

@alejandra75 I don't own one, but will tag @stonechucker whom I know has a 3a and loves it.

Some general thoughts (from watching far too many review views and reading more than my share of Android Authority and Android Central articles):

Main Pros:

- cameras which are near or at the top in virtually every category (other than video, which iPhone basically owns, and fleixbility given that many competitors have telephoto, wide, and ultraside, the latter of which even the brand new Pixel 4/4XL are lacking)

- the "purest" form of Android you can get

- get the latest new features from Google first, before the trickle into other Android phones

- get the latest updates to Android first as soon as they're publicly available (this can be a double-edged sword potentially)

- get Google's support

- get OS updates for longer than many 3rd party competing manufacturers--closer to iPhone in that regard

- generally pretty smooth and speedy devices, nice and clean OS

Main cons:

- no exapndable storage (not everyone offers this, but Google defintiely does not)

- base models of even the new 4 series have only 64GB of storage and max out at 128, while many competitors start at 128 and max out at 256, 512, or even 1TB of stoage optiosn

- Pixel 4 series only have 6GB of RAM and the older ones are I believe all 4GB.  Android is much less memory efficient than iOS and needs plenty of RAM, especially if you're a multitasker.  My 12GB OnePlus 7 lately has been sitting at round 6.8-7.0 GB memoery in use, which would be impossible on a Pixel

- if you're into the stuff that other manufacturers add to their flavours of Android, you'll be missing them here

- no ultraiwde camera on any Pixel to date; only the latest have telephoto, with 1/2/3-series all having only one (but one very good one, mind you)

- relatively expensive compared to some competing options

I think that sums it up pretty well from what I've seen and read.  

alejandra75

Awesome thank you!

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

I love mine. Amazing camera, unlimited cloud storage, responsive interface, the latest software updates, waterproof, Google Pay. VoLTE and WiFi calling supported on other carriers. Decent battery life. Excellent band support for LTE CA combinations.

Things I don't like: price, USB earbuds can be wonky, but that might be a problem just on my phone. Sometimes people can't hear me clearly and I have to remove the earbuds.

Need Help? Let's chat.