cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

essential ph-1 android pie update

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

has anyone gotten the new android update.  saw a coupel news articles that it si avaialbel on the essential.   not really clear on how these updates work ie does telus have to modify it first then it gets released can it be downloaded manually from somewhere?

10 REPLIES 10

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I did the sim swap trick this time around. I usually wait for Telus to release the update but couldn't wait this time.

One thing I found, and luckily did not cause any problems, is that during the update process, you cannot swap your SIM back to PM at any time. You have to wait until the update process is complete, then swap it during or after it reboots.

I did the SIM swap during the step 2 of 2 stage (status bar at about 1/4) and as soon as the old sim got taken out, the screen locked. When I put in the PM sim and unlocked the phone, it was not updating anymore but back at the home screen. So I go to the system updates page and to my surprise, it said no updates found! WTF? Panic! Anyway, I put the old sim back in, and immediately got the update notification. So I continue and it re-downloads the update, only this time, when it got to step 1 of 2, it lasted only 2 seconds and immediately went to step 2 of 2 and surprisingly continued where it left off.

So the moral of the story is to not to swap SIM's while the phone is updating.

mimmo

just found an old sim popped it it and did check for update and there it was.  thanks for the tip @ShawnC13.

hopefully its a worthwhile update.

jjhack84
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Telus usually isnt too bad when it comes to the near pure updates. They essentially (hahaha) just make sure that all of their own apps (my telus, etc) work amd through it out.

Too be brutally honest, I would assume when they signed the exclusive deal with essential (I wonder if they regret that now...) it would have a clause regarding the updates. I know the other manufacturers do but how essential operates is unknown to me.

Hank_boi

Got updated on Monday. Nothing too danger or hard, just grab it in the system update via the settings app

@jjhack84 wrote:

@popping wrote:

@mimmo

According to the following page, you can download the Pixel factory image to install it on the Essential phone.  It claims that it will work.  But do it at your own risk.

https://bgr.com/2018/08/06/android-pie-how-to-download-ota-factory-images/

That's what I was saying with flashing it. If your writing in here asking how to update the phone, I wouldn't touch it.

This is not like flashing a custom rom.  Also essential one one of a handfull of phones that use A/B partition.  So, it is totally safe.  I don't see any harm in asking as trying to get the OTA using a Telus or affiliate SIM will hold back the OTA probably for month for no good reason. 

jjhack84

@popping wrote:

@mimmo

According to the following page, you can download the Pixel factory image to install it on the Essential phone.  It claims that it will work.  But do it at your own risk.

That's what I was saying with flashing it. If your writing in here asking how to update the phone, I wouldn't touch it.

I got it yesterday on my Pixel 2 with Public Mobile SIM. So Telus already let it through. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@mimmo wrote:

has anyone gotten the new android update.  saw a coupel news articles that it si avaialbel on the essential.   not really clear on how these updates work ie does telus have to modify it first then it gets released can it be downloaded manually from somewhere?

I got the Pie update on my Essential a couple of days ago by doing a sim swap and putting a non telus sim in and it started update pretty fast after that.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

popping

@mimmo

jjhack84

Typically unless your phone is unlocked, you have to either wait for telus to roll out the update. Normally they would slowly send out the update to a chunk of customers at a time. However, I don't think many people bought it.

You might be able to download the update from essential's website but it can be tricky. Any mention of flashing it, don't bother and wait for the update from telus.

How do you like the phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.