cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSim for iPhone XR

bjpubxr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I have a new iPhone XR and I need to use a second SIM in my phone for separating business/pleasure phone use and on the occasional travel. As many of you know, iPhone uses an eSIM in place of a physical dual sim set of slots. This is a great design, but where do I find the code to punch in for the eSIM for my Public Mobile account?

I tried to refer to Apple's help guides, but they only show support for Bell and their discount provider Virgin, there's nothing on other phone providers listed.

An eSIM sounds right up Public Mobile's alley: cheaper to implement since no physical SIM is required/completely electronic, and there's no popping the card in and out for the end user.

So how do I enable an eSIM!!!! I love the new iPhone XR, and it would be great to not have to physically change the SIM anymore. Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

Patrick95
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yeah, and they also have the same price matching the plan I'm using here. Thinking about switching...

texwood
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I don't think it's that difficult for PM to support eSIM.  If Lucky can support it, it shouldn't be rocket science for PM to do the same.

https://www.luckymobile.ca/support/phone/dual-sim-card

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bjpubxr wrote:

Until someone from Public surprisingly comes on here and says here is how you do it...

@bjpubxr do not hold your breath, as already stated PM does not currently offer/support eSIM.

You could alternatively get something like a Talkatone or Fongo VoIP app and use that to make and receive calls over data/WiFi.  I have not had a ton of luck with Fongo in the past (call quality wasn't great).  I recently learned of Talkatone after someone in the community mentioned it recently, stating it had better call quality and offers free texting (where Fongo charges a small amount per month to be able to text using their service/app).  I have installed it and made a couple of quick test calls to an echo test service and it does seem better so far but will have to test drive it further another time.  It might be worth a try though! 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

bjpubxr

Until someone from Public surprisingly comes on here and says here is how you do it...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know man. All very interesting but eSIM isn't supported here.

bjpubxr

That doesn't make sense, the phone is unlocked and isn't controlled by the cellular provider if I am correct? I will read out to you what my eSIM manual configuration says, it has three entry options:

1) SM-DP+ address (I assume this is like your existing SIM's number)

2) Activation code (I assume must be provided by the provider as authentication)

3) Confirmation code (I have no idea what this is, it says optional)

Once you enter the 2 required items it activates your service. It can be removed from the phone and I assume can be added to any other eSIM capable phone.

I very much remember the days when CDMA was popular, eSIM doesn't appear to be like that. It isn't tied to a specific phone and that specific phone isn't tied to a carrier, so far as I can tell.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This site seemed to have a decent description.

Seems it's still a SIM .. just embedded in hardware. I'm not sure what infrastructure would be needed to support it if it needs to be different from a removable SIM.

So negatives seem to be: how do you unlock it and also transfer the phone to someone else.

The conspiracist might think it's a way for carriers to lock you to them.

bjpubxr

I am still trying to understand eSIM, I thought it was just an electronic copy of your existing SIM card. If that were the case I suppose this would be easier. I thought it was odd that Apple only had documentation for Bell and Virgin and none of the others.

In any event, eSIM might be something Public should consider, it seems like a cheaper solution (e.g. not having to produce as many SIM cards, which is a cost to the company).

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I do not think they will offer esims for a long while. I think Telus offers esims not sure about koodo

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bjpubxr:

Public Mobile does not currently support eSIM.

Need Help? Let's chat.