cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: disable call forwarding

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@pm-smayer97, only because I'm not totally clear on what you mean by 'the true call forwarding feature' ... what is the non-true version??

By using "true call-forwarding [to] direct calls to VM", I think pm-smayer97 means going into your smartphone, enabling call-forwarding, and specifying a phone number to forward all calls to (in this case, forwarding all calls to the local VM number).  This is the equivalent of *72 back in the POTS and dumb-phone days.  Nobody would/should actually do this, of course; without messing with call-forwarding, you'd simply turn off your phone or enable your "do not disturb" mode, and let the carrier/system redirect callers to your VM.

Exactly. ;-)

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@won27 wrote:

I am on the $10  50min plan. Each time someone call and if i am busy or did up pickup, call will be forwarded to the voice mail. Each call forward will also cost 1 minute from the 50min regardless of the caller leaving a message.

Calls going to VM should not consume your minutes, and I conducted a test to confirm this.

My son is on this $10 50/50 plan, and his plan just renewed, so he has used 0/50 minutes.  Both yesterday, as well as this morning, I made calls to his number, and all 3 of these went to VM.  These are the 0:09 calls:
3VMCalls.GIF3 calls went to VM

As you know, if these actually consumed minutes, they would be rounded up to the nearest minute, and we should see 3 minutes consumed.  However, after making the calls to VM, he still has 50 minutes available:FullMinutes.GIFNo minutes consumed from callers going to VM

Is that inconsistent with your experience/observations?

This is exactly my observation. But the records in the transaction history is what I believe contributes to some thinking they are being charged minutes for those calls.

And the count is immediate, so there is no need to be concerned about delayed updates... I tested that too (as you did)... :-)

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@CalgaryBen, I see what you're saying, but wondering how quick the update of the count on the overview page is applied.   Honestly, as I'm not on a metered plan other than add-on LD, I have no clue what happens.

@stonechucker: the Overview page in the Self-Serve portal is actually very reliable and updated practically in real-time! The Usage History page, on the other hand, can have some latencies in updating (not huge, in my experience -- maybe 10-15 min for voice/SMS?  It's greater for data, presumably because the calculator relies on some defined dwell/silent time).

To mitigate latency effects, I actually made the 2 phone calls (going to VM) before I left my house this morning, and then logged into the account to capture details when I got to work (about 45 min later).  Plus, I have a call to VM in the history from yesterday, just further rule out any latency effects... Smiley Wink

@stonechucker the count is immediate, so there is no need to be concerned about delayed updates... I tested that too (as did @CalgaryBen)... :-)