cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

device swap

Mellyp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there

I bought a new phone and want to give my older phone to my husband for work. we both have phones on public mobile. Can i put his sim in my older phone and my sim in my new phone??

18 REPLIES 18

@Mellyp wrote:

thank you everyone

You are welcome, and I hope it is working well for you both!

Mellyp

thank you everyone

@Mellyp wrote:

so do i need to buy another sim to use the phone

no, if you want to put in another carrier it is capable but not necessay!

@GreatCanadian wrote:

From what I can find (and I really could be wrong on this as I had trouble finding that exact device). From what I can find, it supports Public Mobile's 850 and 1900 bands, but doesn't support LTE.

GC

I found the phone on the Stapes Website.

3G Bands Supported850/1700/1900

Mellyp

so do i need to buy another sim to use the phone

GrumpyG

Yup! as long as both phones are unlocked you should be able to just replace the sim cards and should be good to go! Just remember to program your phone appropriately if it is a brand new unlocked phone with the right access point names for public mobile so you can get data! And as someone else suggested if you want to you can always do a factory reset

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Mellyp wrote:

i put the only sim i have in and it says once you insert your im cards they make take a few seconds to activate. do i need more than one

No, you don't need 2 SIMs. Try switching to the other SIM slot.

GreatCanadian

From what I can find (and I really could be wrong on this as I had trouble finding that exact device). From what I can find, it supports Public Mobile's 850 and 1900 bands, but doesn't support LTE.

GC

@Mellyp wrote:

its not a new sim. i am only putting my orignal public mobile sim into my new phone but my new one is a dual sim phone. omg

Yeah, my mistake. I have corrected that and I just found the specs on your phone. It is dual sim capable so that is why it said "Sims" instead of "Sim".

Mellyp

its not a new sim. i am only putting my orignal public mobile sim into my new phone but my new one is a dual sim phone. omg

@Mellyp wrote:

i put the only sim i have in and it says once you insert your im cards they make take a few seconds to activate. do i need more than one

No, does your new phone have dual sim capability?

Mellyp

Mellyp

i bought a sky device pro 3

GreatCanadian

Your husband can put his sim in your old phone and that should work without question. What new phone did you buy?

GC

@Mellyp wrote:

this is what it says on public mobiles device check page

We are unable to find your device. Please ensure you have entered the correct IMEI before contacting the manufacturer or place of purchase for more information.
Your device has not been reported 

I wouldn't go by the IMEI checker.

Try this website

Mellyp

this is what it says on public mobiles device check page

We are unable to find your device. Please ensure you have entered the correct IMEI before contacting the manufacturer or place of purchase for more information.
Your device has not been reported 

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@Mellyp wrote:

Hi there

I bought a new phone and want to give my older phone to my husband for work. we both have phones on public mobile. Can i put his sim in my older phone and my sim in my new phone??

The only thing you might want to do as well is do a backup of your old phone to be reinstalled onto your new phone. And if you don't want your husband to have all the same stuff that is on your old phone, then do a factory reset and set it up as new.

Dunkgirl

@Mellyp wrote:

Hi there

Yes 🙂

It is literally that easy, just switch the sims over, since you know the old phone is unlocked as it was already working with public mobile and all of the network settings will be same.

If you have anything to hide 😉 make sure to do a factory reset 😛

As for your new phone, as long as its fully compatible with the public mobile, not marked as lost / stolen and unlocked to the network you should be good to go.

Need Help? Let's chat.