i have data left 

i from the first min cant get transit to work in real time says no wifi

i have data turned on 

my city bus app doesnt work either 

both work on wi fi

15 REPLIES 15

bnaugler24
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

are you using the google mapping tool or some other tool?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks @computergeek541. I was wondering about the plan...not just the phone. Excellent description though.

So...you have LTE-only data in the plan...the phone doesn't do LTE...what happens?

The phone will use the HSPA+ network.  All plans and add-ons that include data will alllow connection to either the LTE or HSPA+ networks.  The only difference between "3g" and LTE plans is the allowable maximum speed on the LTE network.

Even with a full speed LTE data in a plan, data must go through the HSPA+ network if you are in a phone call.  If Public Mobile didn't allow that, customers would not be able to use the internet duing a phone call.

Like an idiot, I finally figured out that I could test it out and then your last sentence is the real kicker.

So I have a data add-on with no plan data. This means it's LTE. I set my phone to HSPA. It works.

Thanks muchly.

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks @computergeek541. I was wondering about the plan...not just the phone. Excellent description though.

So...you have LTE-only data in the plan...the phone doesn't do LTE...what happens?

The phone will use the HSPA+ network.  All plans and add-ons that include data will alllow connection to either the LTE or HSPA+ networks.  The only difference between "3g" and LTE plans is the allowable maximum speed on the LTE network.

Even with a full speed LTE data in a plan, data must go through the HSPA+ network if you are in a phone call.  If Public Mobile didn't allow that, customers would not be able to use the internet duing a phone call.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Alex888 wrote:
@cavemaaaanI think the problem is your phone doesn't support LTE data. It probably didn't work very well with 3G because Public Mobile mostly uses throttled LTE (instead of 3G) and 3G isn't as available.

While the HSPA+ network doesn't have 700Mhz capability, I wouldn't say that it is less available than LTE.  There was likley a time when not every "tower" had LTE, although I have no looked into the current status of whether there are still any HSPA-only sites in operation.  LTE has never been a requirement to use services at Public Mobile, nor has it been at any Canadian carrier.

But if you go out of your way to specifically select the LTE option and your phone doesn't support it (which I'm not sure with this one) then would you get any data with the drop-down (or manually selecting) to HSPA?

@Anonymous, since your're wondering about this, this is likely something specific to the software that the phone is using.

I going to talk about Android because that is what I'm familar with, but there are other operating system possibilities as well.  On current versions of Android, there are sometimes options to set either a prefered network type of an absolute network type. 

The prefered network type doesn't really mean as it sounds, but rather is the highest possible classification of network type that the phone is allowed to connect to.  In this case, if there is no LTE network availabe, the phone would drop down to HSPA mode, and that isn't available the phone would try to use 2g (which Public Mobile doesn't have).

There are also other network type settings available in some cases.  I have never seen an "LTE-only" setting in the normally accessible settings menus of a phone.  That would just be plain silly becuase such as setting would make it so that phone calls don't work at Public Mobile.  I can tell you that an LTE-only option is sometimes available in some hidden service/setting menus.  If the network type is set in this manner, not only will phone calls stop working, the phone also wouldn't be able to switch to the  HSPA network for data either. On my phone, there is a WCDMA-only setting available in the regular menu (but no LTE-only setting there).

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cavemaaaan wrote:

did find 1 wrong changed it 

still doesnt work

rebooted phone twice

What's not working?

Is it loading slow?

Does your phone work normal on wifi?

What's the exact model of your phone?

cavemaaaan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

did find 1 wrong changed it 

still doesnt work

rebooted phone twice

@Alex888, I just looked up the official Telus coverage maps, and I can tell you that in some ways, the "3g" network is more available than than the LTE network.  If you take a look at https://www.telus.com/en/on/mobility/network/coverage-map?&linktype=content_panel, you'll see that there are actually a few places where there is only HSPA-network (3g) coverage.  We also need to remember that "3g" is required for phone calls.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Alex888 wrote:
@cavemaaaanI think the problem is your phone doesn't support LTE data. It probably didn't work very well with 3G because Public Mobile mostly uses throttled LTE (instead of 3G) and 3G isn't as available.

While the HSPA+ network doesn't have 700Mhz capability, I wouldn't say that it is less available than LTE.  There was likley a time when not every "tower" had LTE, although I have no looked into the current status of whether there are still any HSPA-only sites in operation.  LTE has never been a requirement to use services at Public Mobile, nor has it been at any Canadian carrier.

But if you go out of your way to specifically select the LTE option and your phone doesn't support it (which I'm not sure with this one) then would you get any data with the drop-down (or manually selecting) to HSPA?

@Alex888 wrote:

While the HSPA+ network doesn't have 700MHz capability, I wouldn't say that 3g is less available than LTE.  There was likley a time when not every "tower" had LTE, although I have no looked into the current status of whether there are still any HSPA-only sites in operation.  LTE has never been a requirement to use services at Public Mobile, nor has it been at any Canadian cell phone carrier.

@cavemaaaan I think the problem is your phone doesn't support LTE data. It probably didn't work very well with 3G because Public Mobile mostly uses throttled LTE (instead of 3G) and 3G isn't as available.

cavemaaaan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i just changed my plan and activated it [several days ago]

changed to

500mb 4g lt

ontario wide call 

int text

old polaroid link 4

this is my 3rd month so im a newb with this company

and phone was new to me when i started

my first 2 months were at 500 mb 3g

so i presumed 3g wasnt good enough

things at 3g took so long to load i wasnt sure if they worked

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@cavemaaaan wrote:

i have data in my plan

i have data left 

i have data turned on 

both work on wi fi

@cavemaaaan  You need to make sure you have the correct APN info selected on your phone before data works.

These are the Public Mobile APN settings you need:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

If you need to know where to find the settings:
Android
Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Iphone
Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network
OR
Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@cavemaaaan wrote:

i have data in my plan

i have data left 

i have data turned on 

both work on wi fi

Does data work for other apps? If not, probably APN setting is incorrect. Compare your settings to this.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartp...

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@cavemaaaan 

More information may be helpful.

Did your data plan work before?  new account?

Is your account status active versus suspended? 

What model phone?

Which plan are you on? 

Need Help? Let's chat.