cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change iPhone

keenns
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can I take the sim card from iPhone 5  and just insert it into a new, unlocked iPhone SE?

13 REPLIES 13

rhbcc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As long as the phone is unlocked you are free to transfer it into any iPhone. Have a great weekend cheers!

@Ashley98 thanks for letting me know I was thinking of getting one. Did Best buy have a deal on it?

Ashley98

@Naepalmnot sure where OP purchased but my boyfriend purchased an unlocked second gen from Best Buy a few weeks ago. Had no issues switching his PM SIM card over to the new phone. 

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@keenns 

Yay!! Congratulations on that

Have a great day

Is this the new iPhone SE? The second gen model? where did you buy it from?

keenns

It worked! Merci.

mdwallace97

Yes! Shouldn’t be a problem

OP. Back up your 5 first and then try to restore the SE with the 5 backup and the SE should replicate what you had. There might be an issue as the 5 will have a lower iOS than the SE. But give it a try. 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@keenns Great phone. yes, feel free to change the sim. All be fine. Enjoy!

Welcome to the PM community @keenns . Yes, you can switch them. They even use the same size nano SIM card. You may have to do network reset on the se. Leave the PM SIM in and reset it.

to reset the network settings on my Apple iPhone
  1. Touch Settings.
  2. Touch General.
  3. Scroll to and touch Reset.
  4. Touch Reset Network Settings.
  5. Touch Reset Network Settings.
  6. The iPhone will reboot. Once it turns on, the default network settings will be restored.

Enable data and sms and mms In order to get messages from Android phones. Stay safe. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@keenns wrote:

Can I take the sim card from iPhone 5  and just insert it into a new, unlocked iPhone SE?

Yes. You can.  Both iPhone are using the same nano SIM card size.

Restart you iPhone SE after inserted your PM SIM card.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@keenns wrote:

@keenns  Yes, should work without any issues.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@keenns  yes you certainly can, have a great day!!

Need Help? Let's chat.