cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

always 2-3 signal bars but goto full when calling

david15
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am using iPhone. When standby, it always shows 2 to 3 bars of signal, out of four. However when I am calling, it becomes full four bars.

Has anyone here got the same problem?

5 REPLIES 5

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@david15 

I would say it’s a way to save battery and more importantly those signal bars don’t mean you have a strong signal when it’s full. Since your connected to a major carrier, you’ll always have good average service across Canada. If you were with Freedom, then you would lose connection in an apartment building or a basement as an example. Nothing to worry about. As an aside I would make sure you have the latest iOS update as they sometimes fix bugs related to calling and other network connections.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@david15 wrote:

I am using iPhone. When standby, it always shows 2 to 3 bars of signal, out of four. However when I am calling, it becomes full four bars.

Public Mobile switches from 4G/LTE to 3G/HSPA for phone calls. The difference is just because it's switching networks.

If you force your phone to use 3G/HSPA aka WCDMA you would see the four full bars all the time. But your data performance may be affected. (Maybe faster, maybe slower depending on area...)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@david15 wrote:

It's how it works. The phone rests on LTE or 4G (usually). This service only does voice on UMTS or 3G. So the phone flips to that when calling.

Bars depend on proximity and power of the LTE or UMTS towers near you.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@david15 wrote:

See the Actual Signal Strength on Your iPhone or Android

https://lifehacker.com/see-the-actual-signal-strength-on-your-iphone-or-androi-5929546

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@david15 

Sounds like a good feature as opposed to a problem.

More bars during call should mean less chance of a dropped call.

Need Help? Let's chat.