cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xone phone

PSW
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Has anybody used this phone with this network?

21 REPLIES 21

PSW

Very thorough response! 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CannonFodder wrote:

@srlawren  Excellent post!!! 👍   That sums it all up pretty nicely, and I'd toss more than 1 bravo at it, if I could!

Thanks @CannonFodder !  It's slightly over-simiplified but I think it's just about detailed enough for the purpose.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren  Excellent post!!! 👍   That sums it all up pretty nicely, and I'd toss more than 1 bravo at it, if I could!

srlawren

@Wadepen wrote:

Is there any plan on making this phone compatable?

@Wadepen based on this question, I think you've misunderstood how phone compatibility works.  What makes a phone compatible with a given network is whether or not they share the same radio frequencies.  The phone is manufacturered in such a way that it supports a certain set of radio frequencies.  Some manufacturers offer multiple "variations" or sub-models of a model, intended for different markets (North America, Asia, Europe, etc) which contain the frequencies most commonly used in those regions, and either partial or no support for networks in other regions.  Other manufacturers may only produce a single variant of some models, and if they happen to be targetting a different region than you're trying to use it in, you're likely to have a poor experience or no signal at all.  This sounds like the situation you're in.

The network operators purchase spectrum (ranges of frequencies they are allowed to utilize) from the government of the country they operate in.  They purchase these (typically at auctions, and for large amounts of money), and then purchase and set up the network equipment to utilize those frequencies.  This isn't something that they can typically just fire up additional frequenies to support requested devices like yours--they are constrained as to what freq's they can use, and even if they wanted and were allowed to add others, it costs a LOT of money to add that to their nation-wide networks.

The point of this is that your request isn't something that PM could reasonably accomodate, even if they felt compelled to do so.  Unfortunately, you need to select devices that are compatible with the network, or a network that's compatible with your chosen device; however, in the latter case, most network operators within a region utilize similar frequencies, with some exceptions.  One of those is that people in Canada can fall back to Roger's ancient 2G GSM network today, and support for thier GSM frequencies are baked into just about every device sold in the past 20 years or so, right up to today.  However, Rogers is sunsetting that network at the end of this year, so this isn't really a viable long-term solution I'd suggest today.

You would be better off selling your Xone (ideally to someone overseas, in whatever it's intended market is) and selecting a device that offers at a minimum 850MHz and 1900MHz W-CDMA/UMTS/HSPDA 3G network frequencies, and would be compatible with all the major Canadian providers and their flanker networks.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Wadepen wrote:

I recently puchased the Xone phone not knowing it is not compatable with the Public Mobile network. I really like being with Public Mobile, I've not had a single issue since coming over 3 plus years ago. Is there any plan on making this phone compatable? I can wait a while as I have my other phone but if there's nothing in the near future I will regretably go to another service provider. That's not a threat, it's just the reality of it for me. 

Thank you.

Wade

If your phone doesn't work with Public Mobile, in my opinion, it pretty much shouldn't be used in Canada (some rare exceptions). Rogers, Bell, and Telus all use the same type of HSPA networks and I would say that is still the primary network for most voice calls. Without that compatibilty, phone calls wouldn't work at all at Public Mobile since VoLTE isn't available.  

Public Mobile can't "make" your phone compatible. It either is or isn't.

Wadepen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently puchased the Xone phone not knowing it is not compatable with the Public Mobile network. I really like being with Public Mobile, I've not had a single issue since coming over 3 plus years ago. Is there any plan on making this phone compatable? I can wait a while as I have my other phone but if there's nothing in the near future I will regretably go to another service provider. That's not a threat, it's just the reality of it for me. 

Thank you.

Wade

srlawren

@PSW wrote:

Been using the Honor 8X for a few weeks and I have been quite happy with it. Works very well with the network. An inexpensive phone that doesn't feel cheap.

@PSW thanks for following up!  Robot wink

PSW

Been using the Honor 8X for a few weeks and I have been quite happy with it. Works very well with the network. An inexpensive phone that doesn't feel cheap.

srlawren

@Arjay wrote:

Yes or no would be a good answer.

@Arjay I agree with @computergeek541 , but if you want a simple yes or no, I would say in this case that the simple answer is "no", and the slightly longer answer is "this phone is likely to only work in some geographical areas, while getting no signal at all in others; the advice of the community is that you pass on this and find another, more compatible model."

@Arjay wrote:

It's simple yes or no answer would not be a proper complete answer.  The phone mentioned in this thread will work for data and text messaging, but only in a limited amount of places because of the LTE frequencies it supports.

If the website that @GinYVR referenced at https://medium.com/@reviewcountry01/xone-phone-review-the-amazing-smartphone-912749ebf1ca earlier is accurate,  LTE will only work on Band 7 at Public Mobile.

Based on those same specs for this Xone phone model, it will not work for any phone calls at Public Mobile.

So, if you want a yes or no answer, the answer is "no", although that is not entirely accurate.

Arjay

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Arjay wrote:

I still see no definitive answer...does publicmobile support xone phones?

No, the Xone Phone does not support all the necessary Public (Telus) radio frequencies.

The Xone is also nearly identical spec point-by-point with generic unlocked smartphones (like the Telus-compatible RCA RLTP6066) which are available at most local vendors for <$100. It's not at all the low-cost high-spec it promises to be.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello!

We have a list of all phones that are compatible with our network. You can check it out by clicking this link: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

We wish you a wonderful day! 🙂

Arjay

I still see no definitive answer...does publicmobile support xone phones?

srlawren

@PSW wrote:

Ordered the Honor 8X. Going to give it a try.

@PSW hey cool! Would love to hear your impressions once you've had a chance to try it out.  Hope you like it!

PSW

Ordered the Honor 8X. Going to give it a try.

srlawren

@PSW wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback! Very useful.

@PSW if that was directed at me, you're quite welcome.  Keep us in the loop?

PSW

Thanks for all the feedback! Very useful.

srlawren

@PSW wrote:

@PSW is it this? https://www.xphone.store/

If so, there is one glaring red flag in the marketing landing page.  Under the title "Xone Phone Has Excellent Memory", they mention that it has 16GB of storage and they claim that "you will have enough for most users".  I would run (not walk) from anyone telling you 16GB is either "excellent" or "enough for most users" in 2019 (or even in 2015 but that might jsut be me).  

Looking further I see it also has 2GB of RAM.  I'll be honest with you, I would not buy an Android phone less than 4GB today.  Period.  It looks like it ships with Android 8.1 as well, which is now two full major versions (two years) behind the 2019 Android 10.  Oh it also has a 720p display.  Yeah honestly there are far too many flags on this one unless it is VERY cheap and you are on a VERY tight budget.  Oh, it's $261?  Yeah hard pass.  

Finally:  they don't appear to list their network specs so it's hard to tell for sure if it's compatible or not.  But based on everything I see on the page I linked, I wouldn't worry about it.

EDIT:  depending on your needs, there should be some alternatives in that price range.  How about a Moto G7 Power with 64 GB storage, 4GB RAM, and a massive battery for $243?  https://www.amazon.ca/Motorola-Unlocked-Smartphone-International-Model/dp/B07NPRQYP1/ref=sr_1_7?keyw...  Or something like an Honor 8X?  https://www.amazon.ca/Huawei-Honor-Factory-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B07L4WRXXT/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=blu... (i verified it supports B2 and B5 3G for Public Mobile as well as some usable LTE bands)

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@PSW wrote:

Don't get a phone when it doesn't have compatible 3g. Phone calling won't work.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@PSW 

If you rely on this as reference https://medium.com/@reviewcountry01/xone-phone-review-the-amazing-smartphone-912749ebf1ca

It is missing the 3G bands for it to work with Public Mobile YMMV

Need Help? Let's chat.