cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 E7S (M1803E7SH)

T-Rex83
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just to let some users know, I recently purchased a Xiaomi on Amazon from JP Mobile reseller and I was shipped the Taiwanease model that has more bands (M1803E7SH).

If you plan on purchasing the Chinease GLobal model, make sure you have the "SH" version and not the "SG" version, as it wont work on Telus or Freedom Mobile.

Enjoy!

(amazon link review with details: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/customer-reviews/R2C33C8YWCHQCD/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07D82... )

10 REPLIES 10

KnightElf
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I found this info super helpful as I did not know that there were variations. FWIW I just picked up one from B&H https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1422936-REG/xiaomi_yi_rmi_n5_64gb_blk_redmi_note_5_64gb.html

It states it’s the SH version and I need B4 in US with TMobile. I picked up a version in India but that did not have B4. The phone is amazing though for the price and another Alternative is the Mi A2 which has the same bands but a slightly older SOC 625 but shoukd donthe job. I registered just to thank.

BTW I was not able to find a comparison site and I stumbled upon this during a search. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@T-Rex83, is there a site that provides good detail on the various models?  Even the Xiaomi global site doesn't go into any detail on models.  From what I can tell the SG model doesn't have band 4 for 3G which is what Freedom customers need.  There is band 4 LTE which is what this service requires.  The supported LTE bands are not extensive but will do the job.  @stonechucker, good catch on the lack of NFC.  I haven't quite got around to adopting mobile payment but having the future option is very useful.  I still think the essential phone was the buy of the year with the huge discounts offered by Telus/Koodo. 

I’m not getting this phone, it doesn’t have NFC.  I want NFC for payments, as I have trouble reading many of the POS displays.

wfitzpatrick

I went the Amazon route with mine, as well, to ensure I had the 'SH' model. I've had it about a week so far and it works great.

The only annoying aspects are that bluetooth audio doesn't work with my Kenwood car stereo unless I go into developer options and manually change the codec (broken in one of the Oreo updates, hopefully fixed in the next one), and that I still have another week to go until I can unlock the bootloader to free myself from MIUI.

T-Rex83

It was acually a post on RedFlagDeals which brought me to the Xiaomi phone AND Public Mobile. Quite satisfied overall for both!

However, a slight warning for ordering from AliExpress, you cant be sure which model version you are getting. There are two Global versions. One doesnt have certain GSM and LTE bands, the other does. Im not sure how certain you can be ordering from AliExpress directly.

A customer from Amazon did mention that his phone didnt work with Freedom Mobile, but the model I purchased from JP Mobile does (the "...SH" model).

I am ordering a pink or purple sleeve case for my wife... I'm sure she will love it!

Thanks to you both, @will13am@T-Rex83

Who needs more than the clear case on the rose gold?  I can rock pink any day!

@stonechucker wrote:

I’m still phone hunting... are these good phones?

A friend at work just picked up a couple of these from the Xiaomi store on Aliexpress.  They look pretty solid.  The huge battery will probably last forever and a day.  The phone is supported by Lineage OS and so there will be good and timely software support.  Typical of Asian phones, even the so call global edition that will work here has only some of the LTE bands.  The key one being band 4 is available. 

BTW, there will not be any duty or taxes if regular shipping is selected.  Select DHL and you will pay extra for shipping and then DHL will remit HST so that they can get paid extra for processing the taxes.  Choose the rose gold edition and save $20.  Nobody will judge.  Beside under a dark case, nobody else knows anyway.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-5-4GB-64GB-5-99-Full-Screen-Dual-Ca...

T-Rex83

Dont really know. At the price, if it works for 3 years, cant go really wrong.

You can  browse some of the reviews on Amazon.

So far, im quite happy, this is replacing a 6 year old flip phone for my wife, so the bar was quite low!

We are also saying goodbye next month to our landline.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I’m still phone hunting... are these good phones?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Thanks for the heads up.

Need Help? Let's chat.