cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xiaomi Redmi Note 2, 'no service' after activating SIM

kitwithbell
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've get SIM and activated SIM with purchase 90days plus Data. My phone's, "Xiaomi Redmi Note 2", notification says "no service" on PM SIM.

I refer to this site
http://community.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/What-causes-my-phone-to-not-receive-a-signal/m-p...
------------------------------------------------
1. checked
2. Compatible check web of PM said "My phone IMEI can not be found ",
But http://www.willmyphonework.net. said it's available on 3G  band.
My Model no # is 2015051.
3. New/Unlocked Phone
4. ?( I guess no problem)
5. checked
-------------------------------------------------
And, according to the web guide, I try to insert SIM again, do 'Normal" and "Hard Power cycle", and do "Factory Reset". Surely, I checked out APN setting. However, these trying does n't help me and it still says "No service".

It would be appreciated if I was given any tip to solve this problem.

Bye.

52 REPLIES 52

@teletrong1 You're correct - Telus uses 3G for everything (both voice and data). The 2G network is no longer offered.

On your particular phone, it looks like you can only have 3G working on 1 of the SIMs at a time. However, there are other firmwares (and mods) available to remove this restriction. Proceed with this at your own risk!

teletrong1

After fiddling with it some more, looks like the PM SIM works in slot #1. I also have to position the two nano SIM cards in the slots very precisely or the phone will not detect their presence.

Since my PM plan does not have voice on it, only text and data, it won't work in slot 2 for voice calls. Oddly, the TELUS SIM doesn't work in slot #2 either (it detects) since I suspect that voice requires the 3G data network as well.

So both PM and TELUS work in SIM slot #1. Neither work in slot #2. Am I correct in guessing TELUS voice travels on 3G data network as well?

Unless I get a voice-only network SIM (I suspect this is rarer in this day and age) service, I don't think I can use anything in SIM slot #2. Thanks for the assistance. Looks like it's working as well as I can get it and can't get dual-SIM working with this phone.

@teletrong1 The fact that you're not able to see ANY of the various other 3G networks in your area suggests 1 of 2 things:

(a) Your phone is set to 2G-only mode. OR

(b) There's another hardware or software issue on your phone preventing access to 3G networks in the area.

Personally, I would try to eliminate (a) first by myself, and once that's taken care of and there's still no reception, I would take my phone to a cellphone repair shop to have them diagnose the issue.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

You cannot register your phone on 2G, as that is a legacy network that PM/Koodo/Telus do not support.

FYI.

teletrong1

yeah i'm aware the phone can only do hspa/3g. currently trying to use it in SIM slot #2. turning off auto registration shows EXT 2G as the only network to register on but registering on it won't work so it reverts to auto.

kitwithbell
I had already experienced the same as what u have. Please refer to what I posted. It will help u to solve that problem. I believe that u can use only 3g on the phone. Hope for ur good luck.

teletrong1

The PM SIM worked in my OnePlus One.

@teletrong1 Is the PM SIM you have working in other phones? If not, it is an activation/SIM issue that you should contact PM Support for help with. You can reach them by clicking on the "Contact Us" link below - it can take them upto 48 hours to respond.

teletrong1

I also bought a Redmi Note 2 (Prime) and am using the latest International ROM from here: http://en.miui.com/thread-186596-1-1.html

Getting NO SERVICE as well while TELUS and Koodo SIMs work for some strange reason.

kitwithbell

@bilal wrote:
Guys, just an update on this. I purchased this Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 32GB from everbuying.net and had zero problems getting 3g/hspa signal on Public Mobile with standard rom on first try. It does depend on who you are buying from.
I said that as soon as I got it, I flashed it with Xiaomi Factory Rom. While installing Apps, Chinese system app and the apps might conflict each other. It was the reason.
Surely, you can do flash or restore with fastboot or TWRP. Xiaomi's phone has showed the good performance  considering of the price. But, as not official in Canda, it has the limit. So, I want to advise that guys better learn how to backup and resotre it. Whenever you have trouble, you can do restore your backup image on TWRP. 
More concern will be required when to purchase. The best thing is to ask one in china. Or, you can use agency. If you do not get it through the official channel, please chek out the IMEI and flash with the factory rom like I said on this post. If you can control the risk, I think that it's not a bad choice. 

bilal
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Guys, just an update on this. I purchased this Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 32GB from everbuying.net and had zero problems getting 3g/hspa signal on Public Mobile with standard rom on first try. It does depend on who you are buying from.

vrance
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @kitwithbell, I think your situation is ROM related.  I also had similar experience with Verizon phone (Moto E) which they had CDMA and LTE, and intentionally hide the GSM/WCDMA in the phone radio.  You need to use ADB to activate it.  However, still not sure why Koodo/Telus SIM works but not Public Mobile.  Good luck to your service since I had no issues with the service after I have joined (around 3 weeks now), and I had been using iphone and android.

kitwithbell

I am writing this to share with people who will experience with 'incompatibility' and 'no service '. Because I don't know correct reason result in the problem, it might not be helpful. Just refer to if you're in this problem.

******* please read the spec in detail********************
'Xiaomi Redmi Note 2' works with PM, but has a limitation only available on 3G, HSPA.

@deltatux Like he said, #2015052 model supported TD-SCDM is not available in Canada in principle, not work on 3G, no match 4G band. But, some case are advised #2015052 with recent trom can be supported much more bands now, But, it's not guaranteed. (# For now, they have publiclized one recent Rom, not separtately)it should be #2015051.

******* If fail at 'compatible check', it's better not to expect PM help too much******
I got the message 'not found' at the step of IMEI compatible check. Web page was saying to order and try it out. But, it's not easy to expect for PM's help promptly. So, if you have the problem at this step, you'd better try to test it first with the smallest subscription.

******* If fail at 'compatible check'. please go to 'IMEIT check' web site to verify it. @Martin, when he did refer to 'counterfeit', I got actually some frustrated but I could calm down due to his kind saying. His saying is right. A customer should be caution of that. Phones from China need to get customized to use here. So, the sellers used to flash with seller ROM. Sometimes, adwares, and spyware, etc might be in that and the phone might be a counterfeit. Before send 'ok' to the seller & the online shopping mall, it's advised to go to the IMEI check web site to veriy it. http://www.imei.info/ then to flash with the original ROM, Actually, xiaomi download and mirror site is very slow. Your patience will be required. Surely, it's your choice.

When some mobile network carrier can not confirm the phone with IMEI, they used to put the phone into the limit on specific band. For example, 'Alleh' in Korea call this kind of phone 'openphone' and put it into the limit only to 3G band. In this case, a customer should call to their customer center to ask to change the phone type on the system.  Actually, I suspected that. That's because I heard that PM and Koodo are on Telus Network. I can not understand the circumstance it works on Koodo, not works on PM.

Final attempt I could do is to install 'a developer rom', not stable but customizing available. I can do attempts that I want. But, even though doing that with a developer Rom, it's not easy without network carrier's coop. and advice. Fortunately, @Jeremy work for PM represented to have the opinion to help this case. His comment encouraged me a lot.

If then, I thought that I should give him the precise information to finish early fix.

*******This is the way to get the information related to phone and sim on the android.
On android /Miui, To access more information and test it in precise, I should get upto some place to hide that, 'a phone info' => 'internal memory', not just one touch, but a couple of times touch(##very important, clicked 5-7 times)Then I can face a phone information, test.

Another way : On the dial, *#*#4636#*#* then same window pop up.

If you're here, you can get the information related to your phone and SIM. And, can try to test to fix it. It can be helpful for People troubled in incompatibility. But, in my case, another problem there,  can not change it. if I try to change it, it return to the previous status again.

I look into in detail diffences between with Koodo Sim and with PM Sim.
1) Network type : with Koodo, HSPA. with PM, None
2) set prefered network : 'LTE/GPS(PRL)' on both. No problem to work with Koodo, No Network with PM.
3) after change into 'WCDMA only' => Changed with Koodo, but return it again with PM.

=================================

For reovery mode, I should push the volume + and power together. Then, according to guide of  'No Service', Wipe Cash again. It is not related in user, and system data. So, big no problem with that. But. Wipe data is different, if you try to touch it, you should back up. As I thought to go to flash a dev. rom for final test, I clicked wipe data without hesitate. Then, after booting, I met 'public mobile 3G'. To check it out xiaomi's 'original rom' again, I flashed with a recent stable original rom. No problem.

Because I do not know and can not detect a reason, I am not conviced that this will be helpful. Anyway, I am appreciating for all of people had a concern and did comment. Actually, I might hesitate to flash rom or erase data. To get encouraged, did try and could get a good result.  Today, I install TWRP recovery easily to back up. This is my final lesson I've learned in this case. ^^Thanks again.

WOWIE. I can admit that I am truly amazed that PM went the effort to resolve this problem. I fully expected them to provide a refund and end @kitwithbell 's  service. 

Not often I have been pleased with our telecommunication industry; guess there is hope for some of them after all.

Fingers crossed service is stable.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@kitwithbell

Once you post how you resolved your issue, please mark the thread as resolved, so others with the same issue can follow your lead.

Cheers, and welcome to PM!

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Congrats @kitwithbell, I was wondering how your phone could work on Koodo but not on PM.  Look forward to hearing how you got it to work.  Do share your experience as it could help others too.  

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

That's great to hear!

Welcome to Public Mobile!

Cheers.

kitwithbell

@Martin Solved!! get tired for now. I will post the symptoms, trial errors, and tip soon. Thanks all. 

@Martin wrote:
Hi,

You're welcome.

I hope that you become a customer of Public Mobile with your Redmi.

Cheers!

kitwithbell
@Jeremy_Msurely, I don't mind your private message. I will rather welcome and am appreciating for your trying. 
I will get ready for the screenshot with Koodo Sim. If you need something, please do not hesitate to tell me that. Thanks !!

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

You're welcome.

I hope that you become a customer of Public Mobile with your Redmi.

Cheers!

kitwithbell

@Martin You show me your kind concern to correct something I might misunderstand and even good suggestion. Thanks for that.

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@kitwithbell

Thank you for your patience, with this issue you are experiencing! I do find it odd that your phone would work with Koodo and not with Public Mobile. Also I did send you a private message so that I can personally assist you. @Martin

Would you mind answering the private message that I sent you and please provide me a screenshot of your phone showing that the network is connected to Koodo.

It can be a simple SIM card error that your experiencing as well.....

ThanksSmiley Happy

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

No offence was intended by my question about counterfeits. Buyers have been known to purchase phones with false IMEIs and/or non-authourized components.

In light of the phone working on certain networks, but not PM's, logic dictates that there is incompatibility with Public Mobile's network.

Considering that you sent web mail to customer assistance, but were dissatisfied with the reply, I will send a private message to a Community Manager, a staff member of PM. The manager will contact you very early next week, by private message, to determine if your phone can ultimately function on the PM network. I am therefore requesting your patience until you're contacted.

I hope that the above will address your concerns in the interim.

kitwithbell

@Martin Thanks for your concern. counterfeit???Smiley LOL I don't think that PM might have more advanced technic to detect a counterfeit than any other major carrier in Canada.

Please do not worry about that as well as I did flashing 'Official Rom' for assurance, not with a developer version but with a stable version.

Actually, if I did flashing with the developer version rom, much more tests and attempts has been available to inspect why only PM has problem. But, if then, PM will try to make the excuse that the dev. version is not stable.^^

Yeh, I inserted Koodo Sim. No problem with that. In addition, Fido - Rogers OK. the test results are the same as 'willmyphonework' only except for PM. Can I ask your opinon? Why? thanks in advance.  

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Did you insert a SIM from Telus/Koodo to see if the phone works, as was asked of you previously?

You said that the phone was recently released in China. Did you buy it in-person from a reputable vendor? If not in-person, how do you know that it's not counterfeit?

I look forward to your reply.

kitwithbell

@chukdefatey  You said 'because your Hardware was not compatible with PM's Network.'

What your saying is based on? It would be appreciated if you answer it.  

Before I purchased that, I needed some information to verify if it is possible on Canadian Mobile Network. So, I looked into their spec and version in detail. If you work on mobile, I hope you check out 'Xiaomi Redmi Note 2' on  'http://www.willmyphonework.net/ '. Don't forget '2015051' model. You can find 3G HSPA available. You've aleady known what band is used. Band 2, 5 ?I can find those on the spec. #2015052 is different. It's not available on Canada.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
^I have been involved in the wireless industry for decade & half. I know how things because I worked for Telus, Rogers & Fido. I know exactly how 30 day billing worked with each Provider before & after the CRTC wireless code.

Like I said before I would felt the same way as you do but that doesn't mean I am right & thus entitled to a Refund. You will only get a Refund on a Good Will Basics, CCTS will not force a Refund because your Hardware was not compatible with PM's Network.

kitwithbell

@chukdefatey Thanks for your concern.

I will give you a realistic example. You ported your number a couple of years ago. TSP might try to charge upto 30 days after porting. Surely, some people thought why should pay during unused period. Others and TSP answered that's because of '30 days notice' on the agreement. For now, any TSP should not charge for that. The issue has been dealt with by CCTS and even enough discussed by CRTC, finally reached into making the goverance. So, any TSP should not try to charge for that now. This has not been made automatically and is the result from the effort of a lot of people.

CCTS is an independent organization to resolve complaints relating to TSP services. I don't need the organization to force it. Have you heard of 'arbitration'? It's ok to consider them as a kind of  arbitrators. Before making the small claim, it's better to make the resolution on the arbitration.

They have experiences to deal with a lot of cases and knowledge law and evidence. Then, it's ok.

If the dispute between PM and I will be resolved, the issue might be closed. But, if fail to reach into a resolution, which case might be reviewed, and inspected by CRTC. The above example case also out from this kind of process.

Not 'good will', but it should be done from the view of a custmer. Thanks for your concern.

I give you an realistic example. Let us suppose that you ported your numbe a couple of years ago. TSP might try to charge upto 30 days after porting. Surely, some people thought why should pay during unused period. Others and TSP answered that's because of '30 days notice' on the agreement. For now, any TSP should not charge for that. The issue has been dealt with by CCTS and even enough discussed by CRTC, finally reached into making the goverance. So, any TSP should not try to charge for that now. This has not made automatically and is the result from the effort of a lot of people.

CCTS is an independent organization to resolve complaints relating to TSP services. I don't need the organization to force it. Have you heard of 'arbitration'? It's ok to consider them as a kind of  arbitrators. Before making the small claim, it's better to make the resolution on the arbitration.

They have experiences to deal with a lot of cases and knowledge law and evidence. If then, it's ok.

If the dispute between PM and I will be resolved, the issue might be closed. But, if fail to reach into a resolution, which case might be reviewed and inspected by CRTC. We should remember that the above example case also out from this process.

Not 'good will', but'it should be done from the view of a custmer'. No service, not qualified to get paid.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
^Like I said before, if you do get a Refund because of your CCTS complain, it will be a Good Will credit. CCTS will not tell or force Public Mobile to give you a Refund. If your phone is not compatible on a certain network CCTS will not force the Provider to give you a Refund on a Prepaid Service.

kitwithbell

@Luddite thanks for your concern and advice. It's a good link, which is helpful to any other potential customers. Your $10 tip worths over that. ^^ I've already checked out PM Sim. It seems that no problem with it. Like u said, they can not guarantee all services, or any service for that matter. But, if they can not take a customer into a available service, they will not be qualified to be paid. 

Need Help? Let's chat.