cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Xiaomi Redmi Note 2, 'no service' after activating SIM

i believe that you should contact Public Mobile as Luddite posted below your original post. It was an excellent reponse to your problem.

Highlighted
Oracle

@kitwithbell Send another email to PM with the results of your Koodo testing. It has been a given in the Community that any phone functional on Koodo will operate on PM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. Je ne suis pas un moderateur.
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

After I finished the test with Koodo, I sent the email again and wait for their answer. If pm use telus network band like koodo, I think that my phone will operate. I am wondering how long it will take to get through it.
Highlighted
Oracle

We are all wondering if PM will be able to resolve this problem and appreciate the effort you have made doing all that testing and to keep the Community informed.

If you do not have a response within 48 hours I suggest you post that here.

Highlighted

I referred to this community a lot. It is helful for me. So i am thinking ,even if solved or not, to share what I will experience.
Highlighted

Today, I got a reply from PM. I was very dissapointed with their response.

Please be aware of PM's prepaid service.

==============

It is not guarenteed that it will work with Public Mobile. I would suggest you to use another cellphone for Public Mobile, because you have mentionned a Galaxy Note 2

==============

I did my best to test with another phone. It doesn't mean I can use the phone. If you borrow your friend's or family's phone to test, can u keep using that? It's a nonsense. 

==============

Concerning the refund in the case that you decide not the continue with Public Mobile, we are not able to do that, because you have paid for a prepaid service.

==============

I suspected as my phone was not found on their IMEI. But, if you use PM's IMEI compatible test, you can read the message, "remember out SIM cards are free, so the best way to find out if you're ready for our network is to just order and try it out. ". So, I ordered it and tried to activate SIM.

On step #5 of activating SIM card, we should buy the plan and add-on to finish activating process.Without purchase, how I can do activate SIM and try it out? It's a kind a trick. I've been struggling to solve this problem and done my best.Finally, it did not work. I have no choice but to expect their help. It's all to ask ' where to buy your phone? then can not be guaranteed" as a reply.

Telus, Koodo, and PM use HSPA Band 2, and 5. If my phone can not function on the band, I can not use Koodo also. My test with Koodo should be failed. 

When I sent the mail, I told that I hope their answer to solve the problem but if they can not help any more, I ask for refund. On the response, they refer to "Prepaid" and say ' refund's not possible'. 

I promised here to share my experience with others. As their service is flexible. I prefer this. But, like they say "Beta", it's not stable. you can not expect prompt service and answer. Today, I am thinking to make the claim to CCTS. Please be aware of PM that.

Highlighted
Oracle

@kitwithbell It is very disappointing news that PM cannot figure out why your phone can work with Koodo SIM and not a PM SIM. iPhones for many months earlier in the year did not function properly on PM either and that was eventually resolved. Given the preponderance of phones that do function properly I would expect resolving this bug for Xiaomi's will be very low priority.

If you wish to continue persuing a refund and giving up on PM, I suggest you follow up by email. It seems reasonable, but probably not legally required, for you to receive one since your phone does have the necessary bands for functionality.

Other options you have likely considered, would be to get a new phone for PM, or trade yours for a Koodo phone since your phone does work on Koodo.

Neither is the best outcome for all your diligent troubleshooting. 😞

Highlighted

@Luddite, Thanks for your concern. As a customer, I experience with PM's activating process. We should go through the three steps,
---------------------
1) compatibility test
2) order sim
3) activate sim
---------------------

As I've already said the above, they are saying like this at the first step, 'compatibility test'.
-----------------------------------------
my phone might not work but...remember out SIM cards are free, so the best way to find out if you're ready for our network is to just order and try it out.
--------------------------------------------
After receiving Sim, how to try it out without activate SIM? The #5 (buy a plan) and #8(payment) is necessarily required for that.  

For now, they only focus on the term of the agreement, "Prepaid service credits are non-refundable". For understanding, let's suppose to purchase a house. If we make the agreement, we should follow all of the terms on that. But, if there is the condition like mortgage option, the story might be different depends on mortgage approval. If I just change my mind, I should take the responsility. But, this case is different.

When I activate Sim and purchase PM prepaid service, I am convinced to get the promised service for the reward of payment. But, they finally did not succeed in making me access to their Network and use the service. If my phone has a problem, it's my fault. But, my phone function on the 3G band with brother company, Koodo. Maybe, it's a newly publiclized phone and even not in Canada. Their system might have a problem to detect my phone. And, it doesn't seem that it's easy to fix it. If then, they should admit the circumstance  they can't handle with that.  

I saw this, 'iPhones for many months earlier in the year did not function properly on PM either'. A lot of PM customers with iPhones might deny to refund also. All of us can experience like this. I think that I have no problem to get my money back through official legal process. But, it's very annoying and tedious. I think that the potential customers should be aware of this. It's the reason why I post here.

Please do not believe in their comment at the first step, 'compatibility test', and do not expect that you can get an advice and help to do that, and be aware of ' the term of the agreement', non refundable prepaid credit, or only annoying and tedious legal process can protect your pocket. Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi I am sorry to hear that your SIM card cannot work with the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 phone.  Since you cannot refund the service, I suggest you order another SIM card from Public Mobile (which is free), continue to use the Galaxy Note 2 for the Public Mobile until the new SIM card arrives, and the change the SIM card in the self serve online.  There may be a very slight possibility that the Redmi Note 2 SIM card reader cannot read the information of certain SIM card (the old one), but may be able to read the new one.  I had this experience many years when we need to use SIM adapter for the mico SIM to mini SIM, and the SIM reader of the phone is slightly damaged (can read some SIM cards, but not others) and it worth the shot (no cost to you) and you cannot refune at all.  Good luck!

Highlighted

@vrance, Thanks for your concern and suggestion. Your suggestion is very realistic. If I heard it from PM, I would say 'Ok' with the condition, the starting date of the plan should be arranged into the arrival date of new SIM and if fail again, get the money back. I could have put off the claim. But, I did not get the suggestion from PM. So, I've just made the claim to CCTS.

Need Help? Let's chat.