cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xiaomi Redmi Note 2, 'no service' after activating SIM

kitwithbell
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've get SIM and activated SIM with purchase 90days plus Data. My phone's, "Xiaomi Redmi Note 2", notification says "no service" on PM SIM.

I refer to this site
http://community.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/What-causes-my-phone-to-not-receive-a-signal/m-p...
------------------------------------------------
1. checked
2. Compatible check web of PM said "My phone IMEI can not be found ",
But http://www.willmyphonework.net. said it's available on 3G  band.
My Model no # is 2015051.
3. New/Unlocked Phone
4. ?( I guess no problem)
5. checked
-------------------------------------------------
And, according to the web guide, I try to insert SIM again, do 'Normal" and "Hard Power cycle", and do "Factory Reset". Surely, I checked out APN setting. However, these trying does n't help me and it still says "No service".

It would be appreciated if I was given any tip to solve this problem.

Bye.

52 REPLIES 52

@kitwithbell While your situation is most annoying, I think PM has been clear that they do not guarantee all services, or any service for that matter, simply because a phone is unlocked and seems capable of the required frequencies. As I, and others, have said repeatedly to potential customers the only method to know a phone will function is to insert an operational PM SIM card. As it happens, there are other SIM only providers in other countries that say the same thing.

Without a friend using PM, it seems to me that such proof testing can cost as little as $10 - the 10 day text only plan. You can get a more detailed explanation in my post here:        Whack a Mole Activation - ( Tuesday )                       

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

kitwithbell

@ chukdefatey..Thanks for your concern.

If you are a really customer, we have to concern one. If you pay for the service, you will be qualified to get the promised service.

For any reason, the circumstance happened, PM say to keep providing the service, and I am saying that I have never gotten the promised service. There is a a cause of this. PM say that's because of my phone, which is bought from abroad. But, I proved my phone work well on the 3G, by the test with Koodo Sim using same band.

It's like the dispute a seller tells to ship a good and a buyer tells not to receive that. Then, who is responsible for 'shipping' , and who's fault? We can not dare to say whose fault. It depends on the circumstance.

Today mail from PM says like this.
---------------------------------------------------
I do not know if you have tried to see if the phone was compatible before or after you have activated your sim card,
---------------------------------------------------    
I sent a couple of emails and let them know this post link, and tried to solve this problem together. Nevertheless, they are saying not to know. It means they have not made the enough effort to fix it.

If major carrier, what happened?
The test results say no problem with major net works, Fido - Rogers, Bell-Virgin, Koodo-telus. The problem with only PM. It might be considered to get ready for the system process to detect IMEI of new phone model, or handle with that according to customer's complain.

It's said that major company's prepaid agreements also is a 'non-refundable'. Even though the term on the agreements, it will not be a problem to get the money back. Why? That's becuase of the 'the breach of the agreement'. If I change my mind simply, the term ' non refundable prepaid credit' might affect. But, if they do not provide the promised service, and not to try for that, the legal responsibilities of 'the breach of the agreement' might happen. Surely, it's not easy to make the dispute because of tedious legal process.

That's why I've already asked the potential customers to be aware of that .

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
^I understand your situation & I would have felt cheated because I didn't get what I paid for but you need to realize your phone not working with a PM sim is not PM's Fault. All though you have the right to complain to the CCTS but your complain is actually not Valid & doesn't hold any weight. Even though it's not Valid you are mostly likely going to get a Refund from PM as a Good Will Gesture. Not because you were Right.

FYI: For Future Reference any Prepaid Service is non Refundable in Canada with every major Provider

kitwithbell

@vrance, Thanks for your concern and suggestion. Your suggestion is very realistic. If I heard it from PM, I would say 'Ok' with the condition, the starting date of the plan should be arranged into the arrival date of new SIM and if fail again, get the money back. I could have put off the claim. But, I did not get the suggestion from PM. So, I've just made the claim to CCTS.

vrance
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi I am sorry to hear that your SIM card cannot work with the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 phone.  Since you cannot refund the service, I suggest you order another SIM card from Public Mobile (which is free), continue to use the Galaxy Note 2 for the Public Mobile until the new SIM card arrives, and the change the SIM card in the self serve online.  There may be a very slight possibility that the Redmi Note 2 SIM card reader cannot read the information of certain SIM card (the old one), but may be able to read the new one.  I had this experience many years when we need to use SIM adapter for the mico SIM to mini SIM, and the SIM reader of the phone is slightly damaged (can read some SIM cards, but not others) and it worth the shot (no cost to you) and you cannot refune at all.  Good luck!

kitwithbell

@Luddite, Thanks for your concern. As a customer, I experience with PM's activating process. We should go through the three steps,
---------------------
1) compatibility test
2) order sim
3) activate sim
---------------------

As I've already said the above, they are saying like this at the first step, 'compatibility test'.
-----------------------------------------
my phone might not work but...remember out SIM cards are free, so the best way to find out if you're ready for our network is to just order and try it out.
--------------------------------------------
After receiving Sim, how to try it out without activate SIM? The #5 (buy a plan) and #8(payment) is necessarily required for that.  

For now, they only focus on the term of the agreement, "Prepaid service credits are non-refundable". For understanding, let's suppose to purchase a house. If we make the agreement, we should follow all of the terms on that. But, if there is the condition like mortgage option, the story might be different depends on mortgage approval. If I just change my mind, I should take the responsility. But, this case is different.

When I activate Sim and purchase PM prepaid service, I am convinced to get the promised service for the reward of payment. But, they finally did not succeed in making me access to their Network and use the service. If my phone has a problem, it's my fault. But, my phone function on the 3G band with brother company, Koodo. Maybe, it's a newly publiclized phone and even not in Canada. Their system might have a problem to detect my phone. And, it doesn't seem that it's easy to fix it. If then, they should admit the circumstance  they can't handle with that.  

I saw this, 'iPhones for many months earlier in the year did not function properly on PM either'. A lot of PM customers with iPhones might deny to refund also. All of us can experience like this. I think that I have no problem to get my money back through official legal process. But, it's very annoying and tedious. I think that the potential customers should be aware of this. It's the reason why I post here.

Please do not believe in their comment at the first step, 'compatibility test', and do not expect that you can get an advice and help to do that, and be aware of ' the term of the agreement', non refundable prepaid credit, or only annoying and tedious legal process can protect your pocket. Smiley Frustrated

@kitwithbell It is very disappointing news that PM cannot figure out why your phone can work with Koodo SIM and not a PM SIM. iPhones for many months earlier in the year did not function properly on PM either and that was eventually resolved. Given the preponderance of phones that do function properly I would expect resolving this bug for Xiaomi's will be very low priority.

If you wish to continue persuing a refund and giving up on PM, I suggest you follow up by email. It seems reasonable, but probably not legally required, for you to receive one since your phone does have the necessary bands for functionality.

Other options you have likely considered, would be to get a new phone for PM, or trade yours for a Koodo phone since your phone does work on Koodo.

Neither is the best outcome for all your diligent troubleshooting. 😞

kitwithbell

Today, I got a reply from PM. I was very dissapointed with their response.

Please be aware of PM's prepaid service.

==============

It is not guarenteed that it will work with Public Mobile. I would suggest you to use another cellphone for Public Mobile, because you have mentionned a Galaxy Note 2

==============

I did my best to test with another phone. It doesn't mean I can use the phone. If you borrow your friend's or family's phone to test, can u keep using that? It's a nonsense. 

==============

Concerning the refund in the case that you decide not the continue with Public Mobile, we are not able to do that, because you have paid for a prepaid service.

==============

I suspected as my phone was not found on their IMEI. But, if you use PM's IMEI compatible test, you can read the message, "remember out SIM cards are free, so the best way to find out if you're ready for our network is to just order and try it out. ". So, I ordered it and tried to activate SIM.

On step #5 of activating SIM card, we should buy the plan and add-on to finish activating process.Without purchase, how I can do activate SIM and try it out? It's a kind a trick. I've been struggling to solve this problem and done my best.Finally, it did not work. I have no choice but to expect their help. It's all to ask ' where to buy your phone? then can not be guaranteed" as a reply.

Telus, Koodo, and PM use HSPA Band 2, and 5. If my phone can not function on the band, I can not use Koodo also. My test with Koodo should be failed. 

When I sent the mail, I told that I hope their answer to solve the problem but if they can not help any more, I ask for refund. On the response, they refer to "Prepaid" and say ' refund's not possible'. 

I promised here to share my experience with others. As their service is flexible. I prefer this. But, like they say "Beta", it's not stable. you can not expect prompt service and answer. Today, I am thinking to make the claim to CCTS. Please be aware of PM that.

kitwithbell
I referred to this community a lot. It is helful for me. So i am thinking ,even if solved or not, to share what I will experience.

We are all wondering if PM will be able to resolve this problem and appreciate the effort you have made doing all that testing and to keep the Community informed.

If you do not have a response within 48 hours I suggest you post that here.

kitwithbell
After I finished the test with Koodo, I sent the email again and wait for their answer. If pm use telus network band like koodo, I think that my phone will operate. I am wondering how long it will take to get through it.

@kitwithbell Send another email to PM with the results of your Koodo testing. It has been a given in the Community that any phone functional on Koodo will operate on PM.

Chicklets

i believe that you should contact Public Mobile as Luddite posted below your original post. It was an excellent reponse to your problem.

deltatux

@kitwithbell wrote:

@imm1304, Thanks for your concern and reply. I get the hint from your saying.

I take Koodo's sim card out from Koodo locked 'SamSung Galaxy Note 2' phone. And,  insert it to my 'Xiaomi Redmi Note 2'.

=>It's recognized and my phone says 'Koodo Service' on the notification. I try to call with that and it's ok.
=> my 'Redmi Note 2' with Koodo SIM  : No Problem.

I try another. I insert 'PM sim' into Koodo locked 'SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 2 ' and setup APN setting for PM, I find 'Public Mobile' and 'only emergency call' on notification. I just think it's because I have only subscribed data plan from PM. I turn off WIFI on that and test 'data mode'. Internet is possible.
=> Koodo locked 'SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 2'  with PM SIM : No Problem.

With this, I am convinced
1) PM SIM card : OK
2) Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 : OK, possible on Koodo.
'Xiaomi Redmi Note 2' has only problem with 'PM'.

I guess that PM can block the phone's access because the phone's IMEI can not be found on their DB. If then, it's only what PM can do that. Thanks in advance if I will get any other comments about this problem.

@kitwithbell, my phone doesn't have its IMEI on the Public Mobile database either. I have the OnePlus One, so it had to be purchased on their website. Be sure to email them to see how they can help you out on this one.

kitwithbell

@chukdefatey, thanks for your repply.

I check out the spec and can find 'WCDMA(B1, B2, B5, B8)' on that.
-------------------------------
B2 : 1900
B5 : 850
-------------------------------
As I say the above post, I've tested my phone with 'Koodo Sim'. No problem.
I have the only problem, No service, with PM on my phone. I am wondering why and how fix it.

Bye.

kitwithbell

@imm1304, Thanks for your concern and reply. I get the hint from your saying.

I take Koodo's sim card out from Koodo locked 'SamSung Galaxy Note 2' phone. And,  insert it to my 'Xiaomi Redmi Note 2'.

=>It's recognized and my phone says 'Koodo Service' on the notification. I try to call with that and it's ok.
=> my 'Redmi Note 2' with Koodo SIM  : No Problem.

I try another. I insert 'PM sim' into Koodo locked 'SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 2 ' and setup APN setting for PM, I find 'Public Mobile' and 'only emergency call' on notification. I just think it's because I have only subscribed data plan from PM. I turn off WIFI on that and test 'data mode'. Internet is possible.
=> Koodo locked 'SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 2'  with PM SIM : No Problem.

With this, I am convinced
1) PM SIM card : OK
2) Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 : OK, possible on Koodo.
'Xiaomi Redmi Note 2' has only problem with 'PM'.

I guess that PM can block the phone's access because the phone's IMEI can not be found on their DB. If then, it's only what PM can do that. Thanks in advance if I will get any other comments about this problem.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kitwithbell wrote:

I've get SIM and activated SIM with purchase 90days plus Data. My phone's, "Xiaomi Redmi Note 2", notification says "no service" on PM SIM.

I refer to this site
http://community.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/What-causes-my-phone-to-not-receive-a-signal/m-p...
1. checked
3. New/Unlocked Phone
5. checked
And, according to the web guide, I try to insert SIM again, do 'Normal" and "Hard Power cycle", and do "Factory Reset". Surely, I checked out APN setting. However, these trying does n't help me and it still says "No service".

Bye.

Do the Phone Specs list 850Mhz & 1900Mhz HSPA or HSPA+ or WCDMA if so then this Phone will work.  But from your sim having no Service it seems like you don't have those bands in your Phone. 

kitwithbell

@Luddite. Thanks for your concern. I activated on last weekend.
As soon as I found some weird and finished some trying, I sent an email through their contact. Today, I get an reply to say two things

1) For assistance, they should know where I bought it. If I buy from another country, they can not guarantee it work.

2) PM community can help me.

I think that they try to keep the promise to answer within 2 days. But,...

Anyway, 'Xiaomi Redmi Note 2' was launched a couple of weeks ago in China and not in Canada yet. So, I sent the reply to them like that. I am wondering if I will get the answer to solve this problem.

kitwithbell

@deltatux, Thanks for your concern. There are two versions of Xiaomi Redmi Note 2, like you said. Model No 2015051 is available on 3G HSPA. But, another version, 2015052, is not available on PM. My phone model is 2015051. So, it should be worked on PM's 3G band. But, I've only get "No Service". 

Spoiler
Smiley Frustrated

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

If you have access to another unlocked phone or a Telus/Koodo phone, pop your sim into one of these phones and see if you get service.  This way you will quickly narrow down the source of your "No service" problem.  

deltatux

@kitwithbell wrote:

I refer to this site
1. checked
3. New/Unlocked Phone
5. checked

Bye.

@kitwithbell, is this the Chinese TD-SCDMA version or the one meant for International use? If it's a TD-SCDMA version, it will not work on Public Mobile.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

I think you have done everything possible.

Therefore, immediately send an email to PM with the summary your have here and give all the information you have that can help identify your account (account number, PM phone number, SIM number, plan chosen, amount paid, payment method). You do that by clicking Contact Us from the bottom of PM web site, then Email Away, then click through the buttons that apply until you arrive at web form that you can fill and send. You should hear within 48 hours.

DO NOT attempt to use a different credit card; it will just confuse things.

If you requested a transfer of your phone number from the old carrier, it will be delayed so you should still be able to use your old service. DO NOT cancel your old plan until the transfer completes.

If you were on Koodo before and used the same email address to create your PM account, changing your Koodo email address may clear up the problem.

Don't despair, the PM team will resolve the problem.

Need Help? Let's chat.