cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xiaomi Note 8 Pro Global

Jeremoose
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there, I just upgraded my phone from a Xiaomi Mi A1 to a Note 8 Pro and I moved my old SIM card over which resulted in calling and texting working fine while I have no data whatsoever.  Any thoughts what the culprit could be?  Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

Jeremoose

Honestly I messed around with the Sim card settings in the phone and restarted several times but it ended up sorting itself out.  Sorry, wish I could be more help.

TealosxD
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got mine yesterday and am having a similar issue. It's telling me my sim isn't activated and it can't send the activation message. Weird tho as I already tested calls and a text to a friend, data works, but the banner and message keeps popping up. Did you get this sorted?

Gcheema

Please turn on data from phone and restart your phone if you can see signal from your phone then you should be getting data too

Thanks

Jeremoose

I didn't have to do anything special to get the Note 8 Pro working.  Like mentioned above it took a couple hours for the data to start working (still can't explain this one) but the calling and texting worked immediately and this is a GREAT phone.

@azeem8 

@azeem8 wrote:

Hi, I almost bought a Redmi Note 8 pro from Amazon.ca. I checked it's compatibility and it's not showing on the list. That's the only reason preventing me to buy the phone. 

How did you get it working?

Thanks 

The compatibility checker is not 100 % accurate. Just checked the specs of this phone. It will work with Public Mobile. 

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_8_pro-9812.php

azeem8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I almost bought a Redmi Note 8 pro from Amazon.ca. I checked it's compatibility and it's not showing on the list. That's the only reason preventing me to buy the phone. 

How did you get it working?

Thanks 

Jeremoose

To madhi19:  

The phone feels incredible, high quality materials, super bright display, high-end components, screen clarity is excellent...  I will never shell out for a Samsung again.

To everyone else: very sorry I forgot about this thread because on Sunday after I posted this I went to a movie and when I came out my phone was magically working.  Before the movie I had tried most of the suggestions here including forcing the phone to use 3G and 4G and toying with various data-related settings as well as numerous restarts.  I'm not sure if anything I did fixed the problem or not, it just seemed to start working on it's own.  

Thanks for your help everyone!

P.S. If anyone has any questions about the Xiaomi/Redmi Note 8 Pro feel free to hit me up!

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Jeremoose wrote:

Hi there, I just upgraded my phone from a Xiaomi Mi A1 to a Note 8 Pro and I moved my old SIM card over which resulted in calling and texting working fine while I have no data whatsoever.  Any thoughts what the culprit could be?  Thanks.

Try these settings  https://www.4gapn.com/ca/en/public-mobile

I would agree it's probably your APN settings.

madhi19
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

How the Note 8 Pro? I'm actually surprised by the quality of my Mi A2. For a $200 phone (At the time.) it a pretty good phone.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jeremoose 

Enable data. Restart your new Xiaomi Note 8 Pro Global may initialize your APN. 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@JeremooseHave you set up your APN for Public Mobile?

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Check your apn settings

Check your other network settings too

Try switching between 3g and 4g

Need Help? Let's chat.