cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xiaomi Mi 9T

Thejeff
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am considering purchasing the mi 9t. It supports all of public mobiles 2G and 3G bands.  For 4G it supports Band B4, but not B12 and B13.  

Does anyone have a Xiaomi mi 9t?  Alternatively does anyone have a phone that uses the same bands?

I want to know if getting this phone will it leave me with bad coverage. 

23 REPLIES 23

@gewlph 

There's not correct. PM doesn't have LTE B28, while they do have LTE B2, B5, B7.

gewlph

Xiaomi Mi 9T - Supports the following bands and the ones marked are red are what public supports

NETWORK
Technology GSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 28(700), 38(2600), 40(2300)
Speed HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A

@Korth wrote:

Not sure how relevant Band 12 would really be since (aside from the 4G Data Only Plan) Public Mobile will only populate enough radio for "3G" Data throttled at 3Mbps, regardless how many 4G bands are available. (Ignoring briefly non-throttled 4G performance and sporadic surges in performance, since these aren't strictly part of the "3G" Plans.) 

It's relevant if B12 is the only band for coverage in rural areas. Though I agree without 3G, lack of voice is a problem.

Thejeff

Thank you.  This map is very useful. 

@Thejeff wrote:

@sheytoon wrote:

Lack of LTE B12 will be noticeable if you go to rural areas like a cottage.

That is my biggest worry.  I wish I had a map showing where there was only B12 coverage. 

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

You can zoom and move on the map, you can click on any tower for more detailed radio info.

Public Mobile uses Telus (and Bell, and SaskTel) towers.

Not sure how relevant Band 12 would really be since (aside from the 4G Data Only Plan) Public Mobile will only populate enough radio for "3G" Data throttled at 3Mbps, regardless how many 4G bands are available. (Ignoring briefly non-throttled 4G performance and sporadic surges in performance, since these aren't strictly part of the "3G" Plans.) 

Thejeff

Thank you everyone for your help and input.  I appreciate it. 

I have decided to not upgraded to the Xiaomi Mi 9T at this time.  As my Xiaomi Mi Mix2 works so well. 

However, I may upgrade to the Xiaomi Mi Mix3 for the better screen and wireless charging soon.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

In NL, almost all rural sites are 700MHz and a lot have nothing but 700MHz for LTE (the usual B5 for 3G calls). Coverage is still mediocre, drops down to 3G network more often than not.

Site map is here: https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Look for 700 MHz on a Bell or Telus site.

Either way it's for LTE data and SMS only. Voice still needs B2 and B5 on 3G.

Thejeff

@sheytoon wrote:

That is my biggest worry.  I wish I had a map showing where there was only B12 coverage. 

As @computergeek541 and @will13am have mentioned, you should be fine.

You always want 3G bands 2 and 5, and optionally one low band and a couple of high bands for LTE. In your case in Ottawa, having LTE B2, B4, B5, B7 will be good enough.

Thejeff

I have been using a Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 for a while now.  I think it is one of the best phone I have ever used.   I am very happy with it.

Thejeff

Thank you.    The Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 does have the same bands as the 9T.  So this feed back is valuable.  

@will13am wrote:

@Thejeff , in general all Xiaomi phones not have any of the 700 Mhz frequencies (B12, B13, B17, B29) that the big 3 uses.  Their so called global models will come with B2, B4, B5, B7 that are good for the Canadian market.  With Bellus repurposing B2 and B5 for LTE, you should be adequately covered.  I have a friend with a Xiaomi redmi note 5 with the same bands on the same service and no complaints at all about coverage.  For over 2 years, I used an overseas branded phone that had only B4 LTE compatibility and had no issues.  

I've seen a lot of threads in the community from users who are frustrated with their XiaoMi devices. Some even argue quite passionately that the specs or the vendor promised full compatibility with Public/Telus... and yet they come here with complaints when things don't seem to be working.

Beware multiple versions of XiaoMi devices, many of them not intended for Canadian market or North America region. Online specs usually summarize the capabilities for the general device family, not the capabilities of each specific variant.

And beware the proprietary Android OS. It's not even Android One. Full compatibility with all Android software cannot be guaranteed (now or years from now). Dependency on one company for apps and updates is (I think) never a good choice - it's basically a vendor lock-in along a narrow upgrade path (although, yes, companies like Apple and Google and Microsoft and Intel and Chevy use this lock-in strategy to be filthy rich). 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Thejeff  My recommendation is to purchase a device that supports most of the NA bands. That phone only supports a very limited number of LTE bands and would not be a good choice.

@will13am wrote:

I pick up B5 LTE from time to time at work.  It is slow like molasses but offers a good signal through building walls.  My older phone doesn't have B5 and so it would connect to B4 which yields a slightly weaker signal but much better speed.  3G is totally useless for data in the areas I frequent.  Too many chatty people tieing up the towers.  

I do wonder if the refarming of Band 5 to LTE is causing any capacity issues when it comes to phone calling at Public Mobile.  That refarming might be causing some of the data slowness on the HSPA network.  There might be a point in time that there might have to be a real push for Public Mobile to finally allow VoLTE, espcially if the refarming of HSPA spectrum continues.

For now, I do believe that most new Public Mobile customers could likely get away with having a phone only with "3g" compatibility.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

You forgot B5 LTE.  

Yes, I did. I do wonder how common it is. I've never seen my phone on that, but that could be an inability of Network Signal Info to report that band (not sure). I also tend to leave my phone on the HSPA+ network these days since parting ways with my LTE plan.

I pick up B5 LTE from time to time at work.  It is slow like molasses but offers a good signal through building walls.  My older phone doesn't have B5 and so it would connect to B4 which yields a slightly weaker signal but much better speed.  3G is totally useless for data in the areas I frequent.  Too many chatty people tieing up the towers.  

@will13am wrote:

You forgot B5 LTE.  

Yes, I did. I do wonder how common it is. I've never seen my phone on that, but that could be an inability of Network Signal Info to report that band (not sure). I also tend to leave my phone on the HSPA+ network these days since parting ways with my LTE plan.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Thejeff wrote:

I am considering purchasing the mi 9t. It supports all of public mobiles 2G and 3G bands.  For 4G it supports Band B4, but not B12 and B13.  

Does anyone have a Xiaomi mi 9t?  Alternatively does anyone have a phone that uses the same bands?

Please double check the bands again.  I say this because you say it supports all Public Mobile 2g and 3g bands, but Public Mobile doesn't support any 2g.  I know that there's a popular website out there who has this listed wrong, and has for years, and won't correct it even after being contacted.

Public Mobile supports:

2g:  none

3g:  only bands 2 and 5 (commonly called 1900MHz and 850MHz) - REQUIRED for voice service

LTE:  I would say mainly band 2 (1900MHz), band 4 (1700MHz) and band 7 (2600MHz).  I know that there is some stuff in the 700Mhz ranges, but I'm not too sure about the exact band configurations on that.

LTE is not a requirement for the service. At Public Mobile LTE can only be used for text messaging and data services. It cannot be used for phone calls.

Compatibility with Public Mobile's HSPA (aka 3g) is necessary or you won't be able to make or receive any phone calls.

You forgot B5 LTE.  

@Thejeff wrote:

Please double check the bands again.  I say this because you say it supports all Public Mobile 2g and 3g bands, but Public Mobile doesn't support any 2g.  I know that there's a popular website out there who has this listed wrong, and has for years, and won't correct it even after being contacted.

Public Mobile supports:

2g:  none

3g:  only bands 2 and 5 (commonly called 1900MHz and 850MHz) - REQUIRED for voice service

LTE:  I would say mainly band 2 (1900MHz), band 4 (1700MHz) and band 7 (2600MHz).  I know that there is some stuff in the 700Mhz ranges, but I'm not too sure about the exact band configurations on that.

LTE is not a requirement for the service. At Public Mobile, LTE can only be used for text messaging and data services. It cannot be used for phone calls.

Compatibility with Public Mobile's HSPA (aka 3g) is necessary or you won't be able to make or receive any phone calls.The HSPA network can also be used for text messaging and data.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Thejeff , in general all Xiaomi phones not have any of the 700 Mhz frequencies (B12, B13, B17, B29) that the big 3 uses.  Their so called global models will come with B2, B4, B5, B7 that are good for the Canadian market.  With Bellus repurposing B2 and B5 for LTE, you should be adequately covered.  I have a friend with a Xiaomi redmi note 5 with the same bands on the same service and no complaints at all about coverage.  For over 2 years, I used an overseas branded phone that had only B4 LTE compatibility and had no issues.  

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Thejeff wrote:

Public mobile doesn't operate on 2G

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Thejeff
@YVR wrote:

If someone does have the same phone, the location is important.  Public mobile may have different towers supporting different bands. 

I am near Ottawa. 

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If someone does have the same phone, the location is important.  Public mobile may have different towers supporting different bands. 

Need Help? Let's chat.