cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong phone number in settings

marclight
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

On Android, If I go to Settings -> About Phone, the phone number listed there is not mine.  I called the number and someone answered so it's not associated with my phone at all.  Tried to go in my profile on publicmobile.ca to try to edit that number but it's nowhere to be found.

Also on android, my text app lists the same number.  I think it's been like that since when I moved to Public Mobile.  I just shwitch phones and noticed this again.  How can I change that?

Thanks for your help.

14 REPLIES 14

otty
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Interesting... I have the same issue. My old number that I lost by cancelling an old account before porting the number on my last phone, still shows on my new phone. Both Android phones.

419mainstreet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This error commonly occurs when you transfer the number you were using on your old phone over to your current phone.

Your Samsung phone reads the phone number originally assigned to the SIM card and if you are no longer using that number (such as when you've ported over your old number to use with the new SIM card) your phone will no longer know what number your are using. Your phone in this case will list your current number as 'unknown' rather than incorrectly present the number originally assigned to the SIM card.

This information cannot currently be amended due to how the Android operating system registers a number to the handset upon first use. The issue may be resolved in a future Android software update, but until then rest assured that it has no effect on your device's functionality.

As a workaround you could create a profile in your contacts list that lists your phone's number (check with your network operator if you don't know your number). To do so follow these steps:

1. From the Home screen touch  Apps.

2. Touch Contacts (you may need to swipe left or right to locate it first).

3. Touch the ME entry (you may need to scroll down to locate it first). If this entry is blank you'll need to touch and hold on it instead and then select Edit.

4. Touch the pencil icon in the top-right corner of the screen.

5. Touch the drop-down box below Phone and select 'Mobile'.

6. Enter your phone's number in the empty field next to it.

7. Touch Save in the top-right corner of the screen.

Now you'll have a record of your phone's number within easy reach despite it not being listed in the settings.

Veetz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Would you happen to know the name of that Sim app?

@marclight wrote:

Nothing in SIP accounts.  I tried another SIM and the right phone number shows up so looks like the problem is the SIM.

Thanks again for all your help!

Yes, switching sim cards is a option.  Using a old Blackberry as mentioned earlier would work and on some very old versions of Android, there used to be an app available to accomplish the same.  

From my past dealings with this, the sim card has a phone number saved in two different places, while the Blackberry method is only to change one of these   This means after making the edit, it's possible for one phone to show the changed number, while another will still show the erroneous number.

This is largely a cosmetic only issue, but I do understand that some mesagaing apps will show an incorrect phone number for the other person to reply to.

At one time, Wind Mobile used to always show the wrong number on the sim card after a completed port.

The number saved on the sim card can be pushed through the network, but you'll need a moderator.  You can contact them using this link: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

marclight

Nothing in SIP accounts.  I tried another SIM and the right phone number shows up so looks like the problem is the SIM.

Thanks again for all your help!

@marclight wrote:

The sim was in 2 previous Android phines with the same problem.

I don't know or ever used that number.

I have had SIP accounts on previous phones with the same sim, but not on this one.

I have tried powering of the device and removing the sim for one night with no success.

Dial app select settings -> Calls -> Additional settings -> Caller Id is set to "Network default".

Thanks for all your help so far, hope I can finally resolve this.

@marclight  Wow. Usually the phone number gets set from the sim. Can you borrow another sim from a family member or friend to test. If the number shows up correctly on your phone it means that the problem is the sim. The easiest way to fix this then would be to purchase a new PM sim and do a sim swap via online selfserve. Just select the change sim card option.

Edit: One last check, Dial app select settings -> Calls -> Calling accounts -> SIP accounts

anything there?

marclight

The sim was in 2 previous Android phines with the same problem.

I don't know or ever used that number.

I have had SIP accounts on previous phones with the same sim, but not on this one.

I have tried powering of the device and removing the sim for one night with no success.

Dial app select settings -> Calls -> Additional settings -> Caller Id is set to "Network default".

Thanks for all your help so far, hope I can finally resolve this.

@marclight wrote:

In Plan and Add-ons, it's the right phone number.

In *#*#4636#*#* and Phone Information, it's the same wrong number as in the phone settings.

I only have 1 sim, the phone is a Pixel 3a.

@marclightDo you recognize the number listed? Try powering off the phone remove the sim and wait 5 minutes. Re-insert the sim and power up, any change?

Also have you setup a sip account on that phone? 

One last suggestion. Open up the Dial app select settings -> Calls -> Additional settings -> Caller Id make sure this is set to the default (network operator id).

Edit: Is your sim new or was it in another phone before (Maybe iPhone or BB)? Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tony8 wrote:

I did a quick web search, others have this problem too.

By putting the SIM card into a Blackberry or Iphone you can edit the number, then put it back in your Android phone.

Yay Blackberry!! 🙂

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I did a quick web search, others have this problem too.

By putting the SIM card into a Blackberry or Iphone you can edit the number, then put it back in your Android phone.

marclight

In Plan and Add-ons, it's the right phone number.

In *#*#4636#*#* and Phone Information, it's the same wrong number as in the phone settings.

I only have 1 sim, the phone is a Pixel 3a.

@will13am wrote:

@marclight, the official phone number for your account should be found in the self serve.  I have found that the phone number which shows up in the about phone settings on android is not always accurate.  If you have ever made a number change, things don't seem to update properly.  BTW, it is kind of non intuitive that the overview tab does not show the phone number for the account.  If you go to other tabs such as plans and add-ons, you will see your official phone number there. 

You mentioned editing the phone number, there is no such option.  You can change your phone number by selecting a different number or porting a number in from a different carrier brand.  Number changes are allowed once every 30 days.  Number ports have no limitations. 

On your phone setting, click Sim Card information, rename Sim card 1 or 2 deparding which Sim card you use to for PM to Public Mobile and enter your PM phone number.

I hopefully this will help you.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@marclight wrote:

Hi,

On Android, If I go to Settings -> About Phone, the phone number listed there is not mine.  I called the number and someone answered so it's not associated with my phone at all.  Tried to go in my profile on publicmobile.ca to try to edit that number but it's nowhere to be found.

Also on android, my text app lists the same number.  I think it's been like that since when I moved to Public Mobile.  I just shwitch phones and noticed this again.  How can I change that?

Thanks for your help.

@marclight  If you login into selfserve and select the Plan & Add-Ons tab your phone number should be listed there.

If you have an Android phone try dialing *#*#4636#*#* select Phone Information and make sure the correct number is showing on that screen. If it's not do you recognize the number that is being displayed?

Edit: Also forgot to ask does your phone support two sims? If yes, are you using more than one sim in your phone?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@marclight, the official phone number for your account should be found in the self serve.  I have found that the phone number which shows up in the about phone settings on android is not always accurate.  If you have ever made a number change, things don't seem to update properly.  BTW, it is kind of non intuitive that the overview tab does not show the phone number for the account.  If you go to other tabs such as plans and add-ons, you will see your official phone number there. 

You mentioned editing the phone number, there is no such option.  You can change your phone number by selecting a different number or porting a number in from a different carrier brand.  Number changes are allowed once every 30 days.  Number ports have no limitations. 

Need Help? Let's chat.