cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a new phone require a new sim card?

mojorising
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So if one day I decided to buy another phone, would I also have to get a new sim card or can I use the one I have now?

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you bought a new phone and upgraded then depending on the previous sim size, you may need a new one.  These days SIM cards come in three sizes: Standard SIM (15 x 25mm) Micro SIM (12 x 15mm) Nano SIM (8.8 x 12.3mm).  Eventually, all phones will be using an e-sim so you won't need to install a physical sim card.

TheOldVR

Many responses for this question - my suggestion would be to just buy a new SIM card if you are buying a new phone. I prefer to spend the $10 in order to avoid any SIM card issues that would hinder me from enjoying the new phone :).

The assumption is that your current SIM is not new...

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Simple question: brand/model of both the old and new phone? If both phones use nanoSIM you're good. If both phones use microSIM, you're good. If the old phone uses the larger SIM, you can either cut or buy a new SIM. If the old phone uses a smaller SIM (unlikely), you're SOL and need a new SIM.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mojorising wrote:

So if one day I decided to buy another phone, would I also have to get a new sim card or can I use the one I have now?

Thanks.

@mojorising, from all the replies above, the answer is it will depend on the size of the current SIM and the model of the new phone. My recommendation is to do the following:

•  Purchase an extra Public Mobile SIM card from an retailer or online. The new Public Mobile SIM cards are triple punch so they will accomondate any size most of the new phone designs. It's also a good idea to have a spare in the event that you phone gets lost/stolen or if your current SIM card gets damaged or stops working.
  • Purchase your new phone, just make sure it's compatible with Public Mobile.
  • Once your purchase your new phone, if your current SIM can be used with the new phone bonus use that and you end up with a spare card.
  • If the new phone requires the new card then simply login to your account and select the change SIM card option from the main screen, enter the new number and away you go.

smp99

If you need to cut, use an emery board (nail file) to soften the edges. If you use an adapter (at your own risk) you could put a piece of scotch tape on the backside to hold things together, but really, $10, just get a new SIM if you need an adapter. 

My guess since you are getting a new phone, you likely have the same size or smaller SIM in the new phone. 

bridonca

$10 gets you a new SIM card you can transfer the old account to.  The new Public Mobile SIM cards can be adapted to work on all SIM card sizes. 

@dumbdobie1 wrote:

Yes be careful of adapters. I broke a Nokia phone in the past. Those pins can get caught. Best of luck!

+1.  I would totally advise against SIM cutting.  The cut creates rough edges that can cause snagging. 

dumbdobie1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes be careful of adapters. I broke a Nokia phone in the past. Those pins can get caught. Best of luck!

If you have a tri-punch card and have kept the adapters, those are your best shot at making your card larger, as they were the original adapters.

I've been using my PM Sim inside a Roger's Adapter as I went back to an old phone after using an iPhone 5s for a bit (didn't like the platform).  As the sim was smaller in the iPhone, I took out the sim that was still in the older phone, and took the adapter off the old sim, and put it on my PM sim.

It's been in and out of my phones multiple times in a 3 year period.  No problems yet.

<knock on wood> x 2

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@warzouing wrote:

Sure you can take a scissor and cut it yourself if you have a template. But usually shops will do it for free with a sim cutter so why bother. By the way, that is for going from big to small. From small to big, there are adapters.

Be VERY careful with the "adapters" I have ruined a few phones in my time, by getting the adapters caught on the PINS that rest on the SIM card. Once they get caught on the adapter, you are in trouble. They will bend and could break.

warzouing
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sure you can take a scissor and cut it yourself if you have a template. But usually shops will do it for free with a sim cutter so why bother. By the way, that is for going from big to small. From small to big, there are adapters.

denis2

@warzouing wrote:

In most cell phone shops, they must have a cutter to fit your big sim size to a smaller one.

Cutting it yourself is easy enough 

warzouing
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In most cell phone shops, they must have a cutter to fit your big sim size to a smaller one.

@mojorising wrote:

Thanks.

It depends on how old your sim card is and which phone you get.  Some older sim cards were only of one set size.  Usually, when going from a an older phone to a newer one, you'd need a smaller sized sim card.

If you have one of the more recent generations of Public Mobile sim cards, you can go to a smaller sim card size by just removing a piece of plastic.

It's also possible that both your old and new phones could require the same sized sim.  Without either knowing which models your old and new phones are, and possibly seeing what your current sim card looks like, we probably would be just guessing about if you need a new sim card.

Need Help? Let's chat.