cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a Huawei P20 Pro phone work for a 3G plan with Public Mobile network?

X3chen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

tonyottawa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes I confirm Huawei P20 Pro works fine with Public Mobile. 

Greg45
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Good to know! I'm looking at a P40 via wish dot com.

Everything seems compatible.  Appreciate you asking the question!

Cheers, Greg

Jdmom3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You can check compatibility on the main page. Go to the top right corner, click get started. Then scroll down and check compatibility.

AC0DE19B-6204-49D0-AB0B-835670086CB8.png

X3chen

Thanks to all who helped. My phone works with PM network. 

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The Chinese version of the Huawei P20 Pro Dual SIM TD-LTE, the CLT-TL01, appears to support most of the frequencies that Public Mobile needs. https://www.frequencycheck.com/models/GlV4W/huawei-p20-pro-dual-sim-td-lte-clt-tl01-64gb-huawei-char...

@X3chenLet's skip the "let's guess the submodel and band" bingo. If your phone is roaming and currently can find Bellus / Rogers networks. It should work.

However since your model is from China, it needs to support the TD bands AND there is a finite space for antennas on the phone. Will it work at maximum / optimal condition like a North American version? Probably not. What that means is you might not get be able to access the bands for best access, eg you will need to be closer to a tower or see less # of bars.

BTW Public Mobile is LTE network that is throttled by speed to 3G like speed.

So note as the subscriber's responsibility in Public's Terms of Service.

1. Your wireless device(s)

Can I use any device with my Public Mobile service?

Although Public Mobile networks are able to support a wide range of devices, not all devices will work on our networks. Your wireless device and software must meet Public Mobile standards to access our service and operate properly with our service. Such standards may change from time to time at our sole discretion and you are responsible for updating your device and software as necessary to meet these standards. Public Mobile may also remotely update or change the software and settings on your device at any time without notice to ensure that it continues to operate properly on our service. A device that has been reported lost or stolen cannot be used with the service.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@X3chen wrote:

Thanks!

I think the newer phone model sold by the Canadian carrier sold last year will support all Big-3 providers and their sub-brands + Freedom.

BTW, Telus and Koodo are selling P20 Pro.  If your P20 Pro is from Koodo or Telus, it will work with PM.  Since Bell and Telus are tower sharing, therefore, Bell and Virgin unlocked version should work with PM too.

If you have a non-Canadian version of P20 Pro, you need to check it for compatibility.

@X3chen wrote:

The phone was bought in China, not from a carrier in Canada. 

What's the exact version/model number?

X3chen

The phone was bought in China, not from a carrier in Canada. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@X3chen wrote:

I could not find the model of P20 Pro from the drop down list when checking for compatibility with Huawei selected as brand. I see some posts mention using the same model/brand with different issues. Does that mean it is not compatible?

Do you have a sub-model? gsmarena shows other models. But they don't show LTE information. Still...all sub-models appear to have what this place wants for "3G".

X3chen

I could not find the model of P20 Pro from the drop down list when checking for compatibility with Huawei selected as brand. I see some posts mention using the same model/brand with different issues. Does that mean it is not compatible?

@X3chen wrote:

Thanks!

If it's a P20 Pro from one of the Canadain carriers, it's definitely compatible.  "3g" plans at Public Mobile provide data services over both the "3g" and LTE networks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@X3chen wrote:

Thanks!

According to gsmarena it would.

This is from Wikipedia and edited for PM relevance..
"3G" = UMTS/HSDPA/HSPA+/DC-HSPA+ = Band 2 1900 MHz, Band 5 850 MHz
"4G" = LTE / LTE Advanced = AWS Band 4 1700/2100 MHZ

These are from there too but I'm not certain of their use here.
Either active or being deployed:
LTE
CLR Band 5 850 MHz

LTE / LTE Advanced
PCS Band 2 1900 MHz, A,B,C,E Bands 12,13,17,29 700 MHz
IMT-E Band 7 2600 MHz

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@X3chen wrote:

Thanks!

@X3chen  Did you make sure it's compatible with the PM data?

To learn whether your phone is compatible with Public Mobile's network and if it has been marked as lost or stolen. Click here.

Need Help? Let's chat.